• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lump in tooth socket

K

Killthedrama

Hi,

Around 8 weeks I had an upper premolar removed as I had a sinus tract above the tooth which regularly drained. The tooth had previously had a large filling which had fallen out and due to being scared of the dentist I didn't go and see them and the outside of the tooth then began cracking. I finally went to the dentist about the lump on my gum which would regularly drain pus and he said it was a sinus tract and due to their being little remaining tooth he removed it.

The extraction was quite difficult - my understanding from what the dentist said is that he managed to get all of the visible tooth out but he was then struggling with the roots within the gum. This went on for around 25-30 minutes and he then 'gowned up' and got a drill out and I believe drilled my roots into three separate pieces to get each one out? It was all quite traumatic for me so I can't fully remember what he said happened.

Anyway - socket appeared to heal ok, I felt like it took a long time but the dentist had advised that it would took longer to heal than usual. The sinus tract was present for the first week or so and then disappeared completely. However, in the last 1-2 weeks I have felt a soft lump directly in the tooth extraction site. I am scared that it is the sinus tract now appearing in the tooth socket rather than on the gum where it was previously, could this happen? It doesn't hurt, I can press down on it and nothing comes out of it. There will be some days where it doesn't seem to be there at all but then other days where I can feel it with my tongue. In addition I can see on the gum where the sinus tract was, it's like a little white scar but it does lead down to the edge of the tooth socket. Is this actually the sinus tract draining in the tooth socket?

Any ideas? I know I probably need to go to the dentist but I'm scared he will tell me it is the sinus tract and it's another tooth that needs removing!

The sinus tract will not reform in the socket. Soft lump could be granulation tissue. Could be a bit of bone working its way out since the dentist had to remove bone to get the root out, did they tell you if they got all the root out? if not then it might be a piece working its way to the surface.

Resurrecting an old thread. So I was running my tongue around my mouth at the weekend and felt a lump. Looked in the mirror and I have a tiny lump in the exact same place on my gum where I had one back in 2021. Upon pressing the bump it did drain with pus. Absolutely no pain at all and wouldn’t even have known it was there if I hadn’t felt it with my tongue.

I had the tooth extracted back in Oct 2021 and the sinus tract cleared up within a couple of weeks and have had no problems since.

Does this mean I have a new infection somewhere and it’s coming through the same place as before?

Any chance it could not be an infection and is something else? So scared of having to go back to the dentist and having another tooth pulled.

Did they get all the tooth out?

@Gordon As far as I'm aware, they didn't say otherwise. It's been absolutely fine for the last 18 months but just reared it's head at the weekend. Today there's nothing there, it's strange.

Might have been a little pocket of infection making its way to the surface, other than that I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Back