• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lump on gum/jaw

K

kymbo1989

Hi, I had an abscess a few years ago to which I had a root canal which cleared the infection. I was told to have it crowned to which im still waiting. My last dentist then saw a large cavity on the tooth next to it on an x-ray (by chance she saw this as I was unaware anything was wrong) so I had to have the Molar root canalled as well. Both teeth are next to each other top right closest to the front. The molar root canal was done a few months (if not more) back now and all was fine however it started to get itchy and get gum line swelling. This went away. Few weeks on from that I couldn't chew anymore than 30 chews on it before I got this striking pain through the tooth. Then it got to the point when i couldn't put my teeth together and I was in pain. I went to an Emergency dentist and he took an x-ray but didn't really say what the x-ray showed but gave me antibiotics. The itchiness has gone away and so has the gumline swelling but now I am left with a tender swelling high up on my jaw/gum. I can chew on the tooth as long as it light and im getting no pain from it. I did tell my dentist about this striking pain before I needed to go to the Emergency one but was told this was normal. I have now gone back to my dentist to tell him about this tender swelling on my jaw that when I push it it feels like its pushing the Molar out. He has said that its normal after a root canal but this root canal was done months ago even possibly a year ago. My dentist wants to crown the Molar and other one ASAP but is this ok to do even though I have this tender swelling up in my gum? My dentist has told me that I should be able to chew with no pain once I have had the crown. He didn't want to do another x-ray as I had one done two weeks ago (but this was before everything kicked off). Basically I just need to know if its safe to have these teeth crowned even though I have this tender swelling? I think its an abscess but the dentist still wants to crown it. any advice would be great. Just to add, my molar is now incredibly sensitive but not sure how this is possible as its had a root canal. The lump that's there isn't a visible lump is more of a swelling.

I'm sorry. My dentist told me the opposite. He wanted me to wait for the crown until the pain was gone. Not sure if that helps you any.

It depends on the reason for the pain. If either of the teeth has developed a crack in it, it could cause biting pain for you. As long as the crack doesn't extend down the tooth too far, a crown will help with the pain. They'll usually test this by having you bite on a special stick that puts pressure on different spots on the tooth.

The other possible reason for the pain is that one of the teeth may be infected. This can happen to teeth that have already had a root canal, especially if they haven't been crowned for a good amount of time.

What I would recommend doing is having them put you in temporary crowns on both of those teeth. I wouldn't cement a permanent crown on the teeth until they're sure that the tooth is not abscessed and that the pain has resolved.

Back