• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lump on jaw after root canal

B

BethanyRuiz95

It's long, so bare with me.

The end of May I had a root canal started, it wasn't finished during that same sitting. After I got home that night, my tooth started to ache, but I thought that was just normal soreness from the root canal. The pain progressed, and by the third day my tooth was throbbing so bad, it was extremely sensitive to pressure, my cheek was swollen, and I had a hard lump on my jaw ( not the gums, feels like it's actually on my jaw bone) under that tooth. The lump hurt when pressed on, and when pressed on I could feel the pain/pressure going all the way into my tooth. I called my dentist, and they prescribed me amoxicillin. It took most of the pain and swelling away, but the lump on my jaw was still there.

Two weeks after the day I had the root canal started, I went back to the dentist to have it finished. I told them I had some sensitivity to pressure, and because of this they wouldn't finish it then. Instead he filed my tooth down a bit thinking maybe my bite was off and that that was causing the pain. Again, my tooth started to throb that night, and by day 3 the pain was bad again. I called my dentist, and again was prescribed amoxicillin. It took the pain away, and this time the lump started to slowly get smaller.

I went back again after 2 weeks. The lump was almost gone, and I wasn't really having any pain, so they finished my root canal. After my numbness wore off my tooth started to ache, but I thought I was just sore from the root canal. But again on the 3rd day the pain was worse (but not as bad as it had been), the lump on my jaw had grown in size again and again hurt when pressed. I called my dentist, and they once again prescribed me amoxicillin. It helped the pain, and the lump started to very slowly decrease in size.

I finished my antibiotics about a week ago. The lump is a bit smaller, but still there. The lump doesn't hurt to touch anymore, but my tooth still has a bit of sensitivity to pressure. I'm really worried about why the lump hasn't gone away, and why I'm still getting a bit of sensitivity to pressure in that tooth. I just don't know what could be wrong. Any ideas? Anyone experience anything similar?

*For clarification, the lump feels like it is on my jaw bone, not the gums. It is hard, can't be seen from the inside of my mouth, can only be felt from the outside.

Ask for a referral to an endodontist, the chances are there's a missed root canal in there someplace.

Back