• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Made the appointment...now what?

B

Bucsgal52

Hello,

I have been lurking for a while. I haven’t been to the dentist in about ten years. The last time I went was when I had three cavities filled. For some reason (I have a feeling it had something to do with my pregnancy induced heart failure), two of the fillings were done in wisdom teeth. I had more pain from the fillings than I did from natural childbirth.
Fast forward...one of the wisdom teeth fell apart completely. I have a huge space where it was. I was also yelled at by the last dentist that my teeth would fall out if I didn’t take things seriously. Many of my friends go to the same dentist and all have had terrible problems.
pretty sure I have gum disease because my front teeth are crowded. Pretty sure one of the fillings came out. I am a hot mess.My teeth don’t look bad unless you look up close. After reading through these posts, I made an appointment with a new dentist for Tuesday. Let’s keep our fingers crossed it’s not as bad as I think and she can handle my crazy anxiety.
Thanks for listening!

Hi Bucsgal52:welcome:,

well done on scheduling! What a brave thing to do given how awful your past experience was. I’m still wondering how can any provider believe that shaming helps? I want to hope that these kind of dentists are rare nowadays and that most dentists will treat you with respect and willing to help because they understand that if they cause you pain or humiliate you, you not only won’t come back, but will really struggle with getting dental care in the future.
How do you feel about the new dentist you will be seeing? Does the practice know about your background?
Hope all goes well on Tuesday!:clover::clover::clover:

All the best wishes and

Thanks. I haven’t met her yet but read reviews and watched a video of her. She seems kind and compassionate. I did fill out the initial forms and let them know about my anxiety. I think they understand because I tried to cancel yesterday because of something with insurance. The receptionist was like “no we don’t need to cancel. There’s always a way! See you at 8 on Tuesday.” My husband laughed and told me it would be fine. He also tried to be a voice of reason that it would be better to go now before things get too far out of hand. I am happy he can go with me. He might not be able to go in because of covid but will at least drive with me.

Thanks. I haven’t met her yet but read reviews and watched a video of her. She seems kind and compassionate. I did fill out the initial forms and let them know about my anxiety. I think they understand because I tried to cancel yesterday because of something with insurance. The receptionist was like “no we don’t need to cancel. There’s always a way! See you at 8 on Tuesday.” My husband laughed and told me it would be fine. He also tried to be a voice of reason that it would be better to go now before things get too far out of hand. I am happy he can go with me. He might not be able to go in because of covid but will at least drive with me.

Congratulations on making an appointment. That’s fantastic. Sounds like your previous dentist wasn’t the best match for you. Sounds like you have found a good dentist this time. I know from experience it’s hard not to try and cancel the appointment but honestly you will be fine and so relieved and proud to get it over and done with!

I agree. It has to happen sometime. I always think worst case so I am petrified that I will have to have dentures. None of my teeth feel mobile so I think rationally that’s a stretch. My favorite Peloton coach always says “but did you die?” And I am keeping that in mind. I won’t die and will be better off in the end. Let’s hope I stay strong!

So here we are two days out and I am freaking out. I know my teeth are a mess. I don’t want dentures and that’s my biggest fear! I don’t want her to tell me I waited too long. Ugh....I hate the anxiety.

So here we are two days out and I am freaking out. I know my teeth are a mess. I don’t want dentures and that’s my biggest fear! I don’t want her to tell me I waited too long. Ugh....I hate the anxiety.

Don't worry your not alone. I maybe across the pond but i also have dentist tomorrow (Tuesday) just for a CHECK-UP. 4 years ago i needed a tooth extraction and various fillings done but i never went back. I have decided this year is my year to get my teeth done once and for all. I am absolutely scared stiff, barely eaten for the past week since booking my appointment, all this just for a check-up. What I'm going to be like when i actually start treatment i don't know.

I think my biggest fear at the moment is being told I need all or most of my teeth extracted. When I look in the mirror, most look ok to me and don't cause me any pain (apart from the stains, etc...). Although, the one tooth that has half of it missing at the back and is black on the inside doesn't cause me pain which I cant understand. This is another thing I'm worried about as if this one is soooo bad and causing no pain then what are my other teeth like that cause no pain at the moment (apart from the one molar every now and then).

Anyway, you will be fine and i keep telling myself I will be aswell.

Hey, I was just wondering how you got on? (I know it was a few months ago) but I am in a similar situation of leaving it too long and now I have teeth missing and I am terrified they will want to remove the rest of my teeth (even though the seem ok and don't hurt - who knows what is happening)

Would just love to know how you went on xxx

Don't worry your not alone. I maybe across the pond but i also have dentist tomorrow (Tuesday) just for a CHECK-UP. 4 years ago i needed a tooth extraction and various fillings done but i never went back. I have decided this year is my year to get my teeth done once and for all. I am absolutely scared stiff, barely eaten for the past week since booking my appointment, all this just for a check-up. What I'm going to be like when i actually start treatment i don't know.

I think my biggest fear at the moment is being told I need all or most of my teeth extracted. When I look in the mirror, most look ok to me and don't cause me any pain (apart from the stains, etc...). Although, the one tooth that has half of it missing at the back and is black on the inside doesn't cause me pain which I cant understand. This is another thing I'm worried about as if this one is soooo bad and causing no pain then what are my other teeth like that cause no pain at the moment (apart from the one molar every now and then).

Anyway, you will be fine and i keep telling myself I will be aswell.