• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

major bone loss after eye tooth exposure, Facing extraction and bone grafts, anxeity

M

massethound

major bone loss after eye tooth exposure, Facing extraction and bone grafts, anxeity

I'm so happy I found this forum because I need to talk about these problems, but I can't find anyone who knows anything or is willing to (I can't blame them not fun to discuss unpleasant dental procedures).

Anyway, here;s my story. I'm a 27 year old woman, who is healthy (aside from allergies) and smoke free. Nevertheless, I have had severe bone loss in the maxillary canine area. When I was about 17, I had eye tooth exposure done and the teeth brought down. about 2 years later, the orthodontist, out of the blue I might add, tells me I have major bone loss around the eye teeth. It was really shocking news and it scared me. I continued on with teh braces for a bout a year and when they came off they advised visiting an endodontist. I did that, he said bone grafts might be iffy because they might not take and told me sometimes the teeth just get held in place by the gum.

I cowardly avoided doing anything to them, and now my right (#11?) canine has stabilized, even though a little crooked) but my left one (#6?) is totally loose and decayed. I met with the dentist about it a couple weeks ago and he has advised an extraction. He said there is necrotic bone in there that needs to be washed out and says I have to let the area heal up before any grafting might be attempted. I have bone loss around my lateral incisor as well and and the maxillary bicuspid.

I'm sorry this is disjointed, I'd be happy to answer anymore questions or add details but this all scares me a lot and any advice, maybe similar stories would really help me.

Thanks much!

Re: major bone loss after eye tooth exposure, Facing extraction and bone grafts, anxeity

Hi! I hope you'll read this.

I don't have the same exact issue, but I have periodontal disease, which has caused some bone loss. I've had gum grafts done and the procedure wasn't bad at all!

What is it that you're afraid of, exactly? The procedure or...?

Feel free to send me a message if you want to talk. :)

Re: major bone loss after eye tooth exposure, Facing extraction and bone grafts, anxeity

Hi there... how are you going with this?

I've had bone grafting done on both top and bottom gums. I have/had gum disease and bone loss and had a number of teeth extracted and have had implants put in but I had to have bone grafting done so the implants would have something to grab onto.

While it can be an invasive procedure, it was painless with no complications and the healing process is pretty quick. Mild discomfort for the first 3 or 4 days and only advil/ibuprofen took the pain away. Mind you I had bone grafting done to the whole upper part of my gums and lower left side. If you only require the grafting in one area, you're healing time to the gums will be much quicker. The grafting of the bone tho, usually takes about 3 or 4 months to actually become bone for an implant to be inserted.

HOpe you post back with your questions...

I have an appt with dentist on 14th June and am anticipating a similar story. I have gum disease, loose teeth and have already been advised to have them all, I am now going for a 2nd opinion with another dentist, but I fear they will agree. Other than dentures my only other option would be implants but that would require bone grafts, and I dont know how I will be expected to carry on without any teeth until I do have enough bone. So I really do appreciate your fears. I guess we just have to take small steps to where we want to be. Good luck on your journey:clover::clover::clover:

I have an appt with dentist on 14th June and am anticipating a similar story. I have gum disease, loose teeth and have already been advised to have them all, I am now going for a 2nd opinion with another dentist, but I fear they will agree. Other than dentures my only other option would be implants but that would require bone grafts, and I dont know how I will be expected to carry on without any teeth until I do have enough bone. So I really do appreciate your fears. I guess we just have to take small steps to where we want to be. Good luck on your journey:clover::clover::clover:
You can ask for the temporary bridges if you don't want to go without teeth. I felt the same way. Scared to go without teeth. Public embarrassment, not being able to eat... so my dentist said he could make me bridges. Everything is done in stages and until you talk to a dentist, he can tell you what he can do. I was stumped at how he would put a bridge in without teeth but he did. I have a bridge on my bottom and my top. It's a bit funny feeling, but I can eat and I can smile without feeling ashamed.

Ask about temporary bridges if you don't want to go without teeth.

Back