• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Major panic at Dentists today..

J

jdk1580

Hello everyone, im new to this site but have been reading posts for the last few months. I am having an absolute nightmare at the moment. About six months ago a bit of one of my back teeth chipped off. The tooth already has a big filling in it. The filling is exposed on one side.. a few days ago a bit more of the tooth came away. There is a gap down the front side of my tooth and food and stuff get stuck in it.. also it leaks a really putrid smelling yellow gunge. It has done for months. There is no pain though. I was reffered to have sedation which i was meant to have today (after 6 months of waiting) and when it came to it. I totally lost it! I had the canula in place and everything :(
I left and am now really scared i will never get this tooth out
My major fear is having an allergic reaction to the lidocaine/anasthetic, my tongue and throat swelling and not being able to breathe. I hate the feeling of being numb so much i thought sedation would help but i just cant do it. has anyone else ever felt like this and is there any hope for me? Im due to fly in 13 days and am scared my tooth will cause me problems.. :confused: Im scared i will get an infection and get poisoned.. im living a nightmare..:(

That sux.

You should ask and see if they can give you xanax or valium for your anticipatory anxiety b4 you go in.

For what it's worth, allergy to local anaesthetic is phenomenally rare, I only know of 1 person who has it. It brings him out in a rash but there's no swelling :)
Ironically enough, he's a very senior dentist!

Back