• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Major Swelling Sodium hypochlorite accident

O

otinanai

Good evening,

I had a root canal redo yesterday on the upper 1st molar at a new endodontist. The reason was that It was hurting me after five years of the first root canal. There was no abscess, just a small inflammation at one of the roots as the xray showed. While numb and the doctor put a drug on the tooth with syringes, I felt a sharp pain up to my eye and I hurt a lot. He gave an extra shot to numb me more. He said I was hurt due the inflammation that had developed in this root. By the time I finished I was swollen, and until now I've been swelling greatly, I'm like Popey literally on the side of the root canal and even if it is an upper tooth my jaw is swollen the most and my check and my jaw is starting to bruise.. I called the doctor and gave me antibiotics and said that is normal. I have done other root canals and I did not get swollen or hurt during the procedure. Could it be the medicine that I felt the sharp pain with? I read online about Sodium hypochlorite accident. I asked the doctor many times what this sharp pain was and he did not mention this. Could this be the case? So scared of all complications!!!!

It could be the case, but although it looks horrific and very scary, a hypochlorite accident is normally something that heals fairly quickly and without incident, so try not to panic about it. I know that's easier said than done :)

Use ice packs to try to bring down the swelling and take the antibiotics and painkillers regularly. It'll look a lot better tomorrow but expect a day off work at least.

Thank you for your answer! I went back to the doctor, he asked to see me, he opened the tooth again and put some medicine inside. One more question! When i left the doctors office yesterday, before the anesthesia went off the pain was not on the root canaled tooth but on the lower jaw, all the roots in there hurt and the do also until now. The doctor said this could be a referred pain but it was weird for him.. That an the fact that when i press next to my nose at the smile lines (i dont know if my sinus is there) I feel excruciating pain and then the teeth hurt..He also found that weird since the tooth is a first molar..

I am so tired of these teeth. I had root canals (only two at 40 years) to the two side by side teeth, 13# and 14# six years ago because my old dentist could not find what tooth was hurting so he started opening them, and three months later when i insisted removing the wisdom tooth and then all pain was eliminated. Now, 6 years later i had the same problem one these 2 teeth. I went directly to an endodontist and he said 14 has the problem (in the xray he saw an infection in the root, not a cyct ) even if 13 when i hit it with my nail gave electricity pain. He said that when you do this on the front side and not the bottom then it is a gum problem and proposed to re do the root canal to tooth 14#.... I am really worried since now that i press next to my nose and hurt it is over #13. I am really one step before extracting them both not to mention the amount of money i have waisted..

I am freaking out because I have a major trip in the states in one month (i live in Europe) and I desperate of what will happen. Can all teeth decay at once? Upper lower, all together????

I am not a dentist, but could there be infection that is near your trigeminal nerve? I can't speak for your situation, but I had an abscess on my front upper tooth from a childhood injury. A root canal and apicoectomy did not fix the problem. It kept hurting beside my nose, like you said, so I ended up going to the ENT. He looked at my x rays and said the original abscess was right on my nerve at the bottom right of it, and the fact that it still hurt meant there was still infection aggravating that nerve. It causes pain along my jaw, and even on the bottom where I had a molar extracted.

Hopefully one of the dentists will be able to provide an explanation.

For now I would stay in close contact with the treating endodontist. I would expect that the dr would follow you closely.

Back