• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Majorly Broken Incisor Bonded

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
Just before I left my office last week I received a call from another dentist's patient. he was out of town and I was covering for him. She had just fractured off her tooth. Due to her desire to try basic treatment over much more extensive treatment I agreed to just do a very extensive bonding. I did blend shades in order to make it look more lifelike but I wanted to share the result with you.
Of interest to this audience:
1. No anesthesia was required at all
2. Under one hour treatment time.

Attachments

• BondedCrown2.jpg
    BondedCrown2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 38
  • BondedCr1.jpg
    BondedCr1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 35
Just before I left my office last week I received a call from another dentist's patient. he was out of town and I was covering for him. She had just fractured off her tooth. Due to her desire to try basic treatment over much more extensive treatment I agreed to just do a very extensive bonding. I did blend shades in order to make it look more lifelike but I wanted to share the result with you.
Of interest to this audience:
1. No anesthesia was required at all
2. Under one hour treatment time.

WOW looks great!

The no anesthesia part all the better.

I posted this case to show a more extreme example of what can be done. I would to clarify that this type of bonding is an extreme example and I don't think it has a very good prognosis but it did achieve her goal of getting a tooth immediately. When it fails she will be better prepared for an extraction, bone graft, implant and crown.

with great care taken to not break any of the work done, how long do you perceive this restoration lasting? i ask because i have composite bonding on my own top front teeth that is almost that extreme in nature and was wondering what sort of life span it has left. done in 2005. visible lines these days between filling and tooth, but nothing feels loose or deteriorating yet. i need additional work done on other surfaces of the same teeth as well. would you suggest a veneer or bonded onlay to help strengthen the teeth?

Nice work, what did you use? I'm a big fan of SE Bond since hearing Bertolotti talk about it years ago, it seems to give me really nice results even when I'm pushing the envelope like this.

Last big bonding case I did was a lady who worked in our local McD's who got told by her manager that "this isn't the face McD's wish to present to the public, get it fixed today or you'll be out picking up litter in the car park until you get it sorted"

Got to love the caring management style :)

Gordon as to the details of this bonding I made many small holes and slots into the tooth then used a 5%glutaldehyde desensitizer which also increases bond strength then used SE bond followed by a very small amount of flowable composite that I didn't cure but only used to avoid air entrapment then followed with Venus D-4 and C-4 composites. I have used Venus composites for a few years and I am very pleased with both short term and long term results.

We should probably take this to PM, but what the heck, I like talking shop :)

I've never been a big fan of GLUMA. I don't know but I just never was comfortable with it.

Flowable composite is great stuff, I again started using it after my trip to your State to listen to Ray B, that would have been about 2001 I think. I went to Orlando for a weekend of dental lectures and didn't go near a theme park the whole time, apart from drinks in Margaritaville on the Sunday night with a couple of guys from NYC.

I've not come across Venus, who makes it?

I use Gluma because of a lecture by Gordon J. Christensen. Venus is made by Heraeus. One nice thing is that is maintains well in someone's mouth.
As to Orlando I will be at the World congress of the ICOI this coming week.

Back