• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

mandibular torus

Frida

Frida

mandibular torus - Anyone have any advice on this? I have it. Doesn't bother me it's just there.

kitkat

kitkat

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did some research on these awhile back out of curiosity because my dentist pointed out that I have one on my palate that seems to be growing! :o They are benign (harmless) bony growths and typically do not cause problems. It is believed that mandibular tori are caused by the result of local stresses (such as teeth grinding/bruxism) but may also be due to genetic influences. I have a torus on my palate (torus palatinus) which is mostly genetic influence from what I've read. Sometimes they can lead to mouth ulcers depending on the location and can interfere with denture fitting but typically are only removed if they affect eating/drinking which in rare cases they can. However, they can and sometimes do grow back.

L

liz85

I have them on both sides, tongue side…as well as on my palate….i am having implant surgery on the bottom to replace my two baby teeth that are still in there lol the surgeon said it would be best to remove them and he could do it at the time of the implant surgery and he may be able to use the bone for bone grafting that i need as well