• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mark's Denture Journal

I had the first session where they did the impressions and have the second one on Wednesday.

Anyone know what the second session is for? Said something about the bite.

I’m worried and anxious.

Hi Mark, I am not a dentist, but checking the bite usually means seeing how teeth fit together, how the top and bottom teeth meet, to make sure you can chew properly. If the bite is “off” then your teeth will feel wrong - eg, if a filling is sitting just a couple of millimetres too high. Usually the dentist uses some special paper to check how your teeth connect (my dentist uses blue paper, i don’t know if this is what every dentist uses) and they can see spots on the paper where your teeth hit one another, then make changes if they need to. The paper is a bit like my mum used to use on an old fashioned typewriter to make a copy - carbon paper - but I think it is called “articulating paper”.

I don’t think this will be an invasive or scary process for you - based on my personal experience - but if you are worried maybe you could ring and ask exactly what is going to happen at your appointment?

Thanks for that. Just worried they had to use more trays and that was awful.

I think I’ll ring and see what they say to put my mind st rest.

Update -

Had my next impressions session to sort the bite bit out. Wasn’t as bad as the first session.

Seeing the anaesthetist and dentist st hospital on 8th Jan. This is when the treatment plan will be confirmed.

Once that’s done the dentist will get the immediate made and I’ll be scheduled in for surgery.

This bit panics me. They said sometimes it can be a few days after if cancellations have happened, could be weeks or few months.

Bit worried because if they don’t give me s reasonable amount of time between I’ll not process properly and I’ll be one of those cancellations.

Can I request that I’m not scheduled too soon after that appointment?

MarkGeordie,

Glad the impressions were better this time! As far as the schedule.. that is up to you as far as how soon. They may try to push for a sooner time but ultimately the time is up to you. All power is yours to decide ultimately if that time works for you. and Good that you have the time you need to process everything. I know as a medical scheduler times can come up quick with cancels and such. Some people are ready and some aren't .. and we don't think about it a minute later :). Its what is best for you!

Anxiety through the roof for Wednesday.

There going to have a lot of questions to answer to put my mind at rest, I’ve started writing them down before I forget them, otherwise they’ll not get me through the door for the surgery

Anxiety through the roof for Wednesday.

There going to have a lot of questions to answer to put my mind at rest, I’ve started writing them down before I forget them, otherwise they’ll not get me through the door for the surgery
What exactly are you having done?

On Wednesday you mean?

Love you are writing all your questions down so you don't forget.. sometimes I write mine down too. it really helps me to remember if I'm holding the paper in my hand before the dentist walks in :)..

The surgery part,are you having g.a?

Think I’ll need my whole not book haha.

Yes a GA but not on Wednesday, meeting with dentist at hospital and anaesthetist.

Hopefully they won't spring anything on you so it's not too soon just so you can prepare a bit.

To be fair the way things have worked out, I can’t really let them do it until March now.

if they say 2nd/3rd/last week of Jan I’m not sure I’ll be able to let them, it’s not enough time to get my head around it all and process it.

I also unfortunately have family issues going on so I’m away most of Feb and won’t be home.

March now becomes the earliest opportunity.

This is the third appointment they have booked now because the previous two had communication issues between my dentist and the hospital so if they try and say that’s not good enough I’ll be pointing this out to them.

There is no way this can be rushed, I’m scared, nervous and anxious, all mixed together, they’ll waste their own time slots , their time and my time if they try as they run the risk of me cancelling last minute if they don’t allow me time to process and prepare.

I totally get that I was offered a cancellation (like a week before it happening) I think it was for my 2nd op but I stuck with the one I had like a month later as that's what I'd prepared for I'm not a last min person esp for an operation. Yes it's scarey+it doesn't help with poor or lack of communication,I'm sure you'll feel much better when it's all been done tho.

Yeah I can’t do last minute or cancellations, not enough time to prepare.

Ill see what they have to say on Wednesday.

MarkGeordie88,
Yes totally! Give us a date to work with and please don't try and "squeeze" us in earlier due to a space becoming available. That may work for some but certainly not for others. Good luck on Wednesday.

Uh oh 1hr 45min to go.

Best of luck.

Disappointed in a way.

First obstacle...anaesthetist wants to hold off because my latest diabetes blood tests were not the greatest.

Second obstacle...wasn’t aware you needed someone to go with you and stay over night at home with you. I moved a while back because of issues, my friends and family live ages away!!

So not fully sure how long they want to wait but only get my diabetes bloods done every 6 months and does that mean if I can’t get a family member free the day they want me in they won’t do it?

If your having a g/a then yes that's the norm is there any way they can keep you in overnight? If you say you haven't got anyone to stay with you.

Back