• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mark's Denture Journal

yeah that's one thing haha I don't wear them at work though so it's not helpful.

Are you getting full dentures? I had an awful experience after having my teeth removed last time but i don't regret it as they were in a terrible state. I just wish I wasn't going through it again ?
Hope your ok
Claire

Yes unfortunately my teeth are in a bad way I need full dentures.

Absolutely terrified which is the main reason I’m having GA otherwise it would have more than likely have been done now.

I haven’t told family but I’m sure when they see me they know my teeth are bad and just don’t comment.

not looking forward to the after pain, getting used to wearing them, the feeling, getting used to eating, etc.

Yes unfortunately my teeth are in a bad way I need full dentures.

Absolutely terrified which is the main reason I’m having GA otherwise it would have more than likely have been done now.

I haven’t told family but I’m sure when they see me they know my teeth are bad and just don’t comment.

not looking forward to the after pain, getting used to wearing them, the feeling, getting used to eating, etc.

Just think of the end goal though. I'm sure having dentures will be better than pain and embarrassment of your current teeth. That's what I tell myself anyways.

I'm sure your family will be supportive of you. Mind I haven't told my family and they still don't no I had all my back ones removed. I should of had a partial denture to replace them but it didn't fit and I was too scared to go back to the dentist as i had a severe infection and was very poorly.

In hindsight I wish I'd had all of them removed back then as I wouldn't have this problem now.

I think your doing the right thing as least you will be free from the pain of bad teeth and won't have to worry about it again. I'm sure we will both get used to wearing dentures. I will probably be having mine done before you so hopefully i can give you any advice you need

Just think of the end goal though. I'm sure having dentures will be better than pain and embarrassment of your current teeth. That's what I tell myself anyways.

I'm sure your family will be supportive of you. Mind I haven't told my family and they still don't no I had all my back ones removed. I should of had a partial denture to replace them but it didn't fit and I was too scared to go back to the dentist as i had a severe infection and was very poorly.

In hindsight I wish I'd had all of them removed back then as I wouldn't have this problem now.

I think your doing the right thing as least you will be free from the pain of bad teeth and won't have to worry about it again. I'm sure we will both get used to wearing dentures. I will probably be having mine done before you so hopefully i can give you any advice you need

Thanks for the kind words.

I constantly think I can’t wait until it’s complete as I will look and feel better. My fears just get in the way.

I think once I tell my family they would be fine and to be honest it would just be close family as I’ve never seen some for so long they wouldn’t notice the difference.

Don’t get to see my family much anyway as they don’t all live close by and with COVID at the moment and not wanting to mix households. This is why my assessment location has changed and my actual operation will be done at a different hospital as planned as this new hospital can keep me in over night and don’t need anyone with me.

Where about a in Tyne and Wear are you? Which hospital did you go to?

I feel the same constantly thinking I want it over with but then the fear hits. Then I realise it can't get any worse as I'm struggling to eat without bits off tooth falling out ? and I'm miserable with the way they look now so things can only get better for us.

Your right your family will understand and like you say the ones you don't see often won't even notice. They will probably be jealous of your amazing teeth ?

I went to the RVI and I live not far from the metro centre what about you?

Which hospital are you going to?

I feel the same constantly thinking I want it over with but then the fear hits. Then I realise it can't get any worse as I'm struggling to eat without bits off tooth falling out ? and I'm miserable with the way they look now so things can only get better for us.

Your right your family will understand and like you say the ones you don't see often won't even notice. They will probably be jealous of your amazing teeth ?

I went to the RVI and I live not far from the metro centre what about you?

Which hospital are you going to?

Originally it was going to be South Tyneside General, but now I'm going all over the place, the assessment is taking place in Washington and the operation at Sunderland Royal.

I'm based in South Tyneside.

Hi just found this forum and getting my head around everyone’s story’s
hi mark enjoying reading your experiences and nice to hear from a fellow geordie. I’m in a right dilemma with my teeth too? been in terrible pain with a upper right molar which is just about hanging on by a tread now have an appointment to have it removed on Tuesday thank god! Considering asking my dentist about getting the majority if not all of my top set of teeth out and either a full or partial denture fitted. I have terrible gum disease through years of smoking (gave up 6 years ago) but the damage is done now. My gums have receded so badly and just looks awful one of my front teeth is wobbly and I’m just sick to death of them to be fair. Hated my teeth all my life had braces when I was young then veneers in my twenties and now this gum disease has just wrecked my smile I hate it it’s affecting my confidence I’m sick of being in pain and just want to be happy with my (or some teeth false or otherwise)lol and to stop worrying about them and not have bad news every time I see the dentist. Unfortunately read so may horror stories on here I’m now terrified and second guessing taking the option of dentures ?

Hi just found this forum and getting my head around everyone’s story’s
hi mark enjoying reading your experiences and nice to hear from a fellow geordie. I’m in a right dilemma with my teeth too? been in terrible pain with a upper right molar which is just about hanging on by a tread now have an appointment to have it removed on Tuesday thank god! Considering asking my dentist about getting the majority if not all of my top set of teeth out and either a full or partial denture fitted. I have terrible gum disease through years of smoking (gave up 6 years ago) but the damage is done now. My gums have receded so badly and just looks awful one of my front teeth is wobbly and I’m just sick to death of them to be fair. Hated my teeth all my life had braces when I was young then veneers in my twenties and now this gum disease has just wrecked my smile I hate it it’s affecting my confidence I’m sick of being in pain and just want to be happy with my (or some teeth false or otherwise)lol and to stop worrying about them and not have bad news every time I see the dentist. Unfortunately read so may horror stories on here I’m now terrified and second guessing taking the option of dentures ?

I can totally sympathise and my mind is stll in a really bad way at present, I suffer with depression and anxiety so much.

I flelt after all my issues, as I have other health stuff going on too, that I wanted to get back into work and this is causing me more steuggles as I feel embarrased and that im being judged when I attend interviews. Feel like this will go away when I get my dentures.

Fingers crossed my assessment appointment goes as plan next month and is not cancelled again.

For some reason I am so nervous for tomorrow.

Although my treatment got put back and this new assessment isn't until a few weeks into December. I had a call from my dentist saying they were seeing more patients now and my check up was obviously overdue.

Obviously I haven't had my treatment yet and in my opinion my teeth feel worse than ever, but again that could just be my imagination.

I'm scared again because I haven't seen the dentist since very early into 2020 and all my fears and anxieties are back and I feel like its going to take them a while to get me in the chair again like my first appointment with her and she will get annoyed and frustrated as I can imagine with covid they will want to get me in and out and cleaned for the next patient.

I hate this so much.

Well after all that worry. Nothing was even checked!

The dentist for some reason thought I’d had my treatment.

As I hadn’t she said she wouldn’t carry out a checkup since I’ll be having all my teeth out and I’ve no pain.

Latest update:

I was actually smiling today after meeting two fantastic dentists at my assessment. So kind, no rushing, answered all my questions and actually asked what my anxieties were and reassured me.

I’ve been explained the process as it’s a little different to the other hospital it was originally going to take place at.

They said that after this appointment I would have a anethsetic appointment over the telephone and then I’d have a medical pre-assessment.

With me needing a bed for the night I will obviously be given a operation date however I’ve been told that it could be cancelled last minute even last minute on the day, so just to bear in mind and they said even more so with winter and COVID.

I actually feel better and want to get this done as soon as now.

Now we are back in lockdown in the Uk I’m starting to feel more anxious that dental operations will more than likely get put back even more.

Dreading this year.

Did you have a date?

Nope.

Had to have a repeat assessment with the hospital dentist because there had been such a length of time since the last one because of covid and the fact I’m now having it done at another hospital.

I was at the top of the list and needed a assessment with the anesthetist before a date would be booked in.

Just fearful that it would have been put back.

Nope.

Had to have a repeat assessment with the hospital dentist because there had been such a length of time since the last one because of covid and the fact I’m now having it done at another hospital.

I was at the top of the list and needed a assessment with the anesthetist before a date would be booked in.

Just fearful that it would have been put back.
I know how frustrating waiting can be,have you tried to contact them? Obviously it's even more difficult at the mo being treated at a hospital,glad I'm moving.

I guess there could be some truth in procedures being put back. We are living through unprecedented times and going back into lockdown for the third time in a year, is beyond depressing. The nhs is under enormous strain and whether it has a knock on effect for dental procedures you'll find out soon enough.

I don't know anyone who is ready for this lockdown, it's horrendous.

Oh yeah. To be honest if it gets delayed because of what’s going on that’s perfectly reasonable. It’s not a life threatening procedure that needs to be done so it can wait.

Just I can’t seem to control my anxiety at the moment.

It's normal to feel anxious, the difference with this is it's out of your control, there's nothing you can do but hope that your procedure will take place sooner rather than later and hope that you are kept up to date. I've never seen so many people feel so utterly down, this lockdown for me is the worst of the three.

Update:

Received my letter to say surgery is booked in for 18 March.

Few issues though, I’ll need to call them Monday to clarify:

1. Says I should of received a letter about pre-assessment, not got this yet.

2. Says it’s a day case, however I was supposed to be getting kept in over night as I have no one to go with me or take me home.

Absolutely bricking it!

Managed to get in touch with them today. Said I’d get a letter about pre-assessment but would be done over the telephone.

They checked also and it’s recorded I will need a bed over night.

Question - should I buy anything in advance so I have it already in ready? Fixadent? New tooth brush? Etc.

Hi Mark

I spoke with you a while ago about your denture journey and I had planned to get mine done 2 year ago however I bottled it 🙄

Did you manage to go through with the GA and get your teeth replaced?

Hope your doing well and are free from pain

Back