• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mark's Denture Journal

@had-enough unfortunately not, it kept getting postponed and then other health issues surfaced whereby the team refused to do GA.

I had an up to date assessment with the dental team in May, agreed we could now go ahead and it’s just a waiting game to get a pre-op assessment and an op date given. Just waiting.

@had-enough unfortunately not, it kept getting postponed and then other health issues surfaced whereby the team refused to do GA.

I had an up to date assessment with the dental team in May, agreed we could now go ahead and it’s just a waiting game to get a pre-op assessment and an op date given. Just waiting.
Oh no. I'm in the same boat however not due to health issues but just utterly terrified.
I am having mine done tomorrow morning and I am absolutely shitting it. Iv considered cancelling multiple times but I will only end up in the same position again in months/years to come. I just need it out the way.

I'm having it done under sedation so at my local dentist and luckily I won't remember any of it. I'm scared about how much it will hurt afterwards and getting used to the partial denture also.

Hopefully you won't be waiting too long and you can finish your journey. Did you manage to tell your family what you are going through?

@had-enough I’m sorry I have only had the chance to reply. Did today go alright?

I haven’t actually spoken to family about it however from the state of my teeth they clearly know this from looking at me.

@had-enough I’m sorry I have only had the chance to reply. Did today go alright?

I haven’t actually spoken to family about it however from the state of my teeth they clearly know this from looking at me.
Hi Mark

I was sedated and can't remember most of it however I can still remember the sound of my tooth cracking which was the worst.

Iv taken some over the counter pain relief and had an ice pack where the teeth were removed. I'm not in any pain and iv managed to have a little bit to eat.

Worst part is the partial didn't fit and now I have to wait 2 weeks for another appointment for more impressions taken so I'm gutted about this 😔 will not be talking to anyone in person for a while

I've been reading back over your journal and have I missed something or are you not much further on than when you started back in 2019. I think your final comment just waiting seems to sum it up

@had-enough I’m glad that you got through it. I feel sorry that the partials do not fit.

I worry about that because with me getting full extraction, if my immediates did not fit at all I don’t think I could cope having nothing in at all.

@Tolkienista It’s been such a long time, there was a long waiting list anyway, then covid hit, I have urological health issues that then had to be investigated, then I had to wait for a more up to date dental assessment and now I’m waiting on a pre op appointment. My fear is they leave it too long again and say my dental assessment is outdated again.

@MarkGeordie88 It's so frustrating for you, COVID has had such an impact on dental procedures and I feel for you when you say that your assessment may be outdated too. Good luck and keep us updated, we're all in this together.

I’m booked in for my pre-op assessment at the hospital on 1st September and booked in for my op a week later on the 8th. Scared!

Very nervous for Thursday. I know it’s only pre-op but it means the actual op date is getting closer.

Reality has kicked in. Had pre-op this morning. They did MRSA testing, bloods and an ECG. Guessing if anything concerning shows they will be in touch.

Absolutely petrified for next Thursday now.

Still haven’t told any of my family and think I better.

@MarkGeordie88, well done and best of luck to you, scary I know but you've got this. Most of my family don't know I had a top denture a couple of years ago, I've even eaten dinner across the table from my brother and he still hasn't got a clue :) I'll be going through this again with my bottom ones in a couple of weeks time and the nerves are building up already.

I have a slight pickle though because I spoke with my dentist today about treatment after the op.

I’m informed that because I was on means tested benefits when all this started I received free NHS treatment and my immediates cost me nothing.

Now I am working My full dentures will be charged at Band 3 which is not far from £300 and would need to be paid before been ordered.

However, I don’t just have £300 I can folk out like that.

So what do I do?

I was under the impression that because this is all part of the same treatment plan and I was on free benefits at the time, I wouldn’t be charged due to change in circumstances. Anyone know?

@MarkGeordie88 You might be entitled to full or partial help with dental costs depending on your financial situation. This page has more info and links to pages where you can check:

@letsconnect

Yeah I’ve already applied for the NHS Low Income Scheme, I rang them for a update and they still have a backlog so I don’t know if I have an entitlement or not.

The thing is, the op is Thursday, I can’t exactly have the op and then risk not been able to afford the full dentures when it comes to it.

On the other hand, I don’t want to have to delay it again as it was already delayed twice due to Covid and my health.

Nothing is ever easy.

I actually feel so stupid because it’s one thing I overlooked when I accepted a job and moved off benefits that my automatic entitlement because of the benefits I was on.

Well after intense conversations they have cancelled and added me back to the waiting list, which they are not happy about, because of the 18 week thing.

However that was passed a long time ago, Im sorry but I couldn’t predict Covid and the consequences and I also can’t help that when I did attend for a pre-op last year that the team said they couldn’t go ahead as I was still under investigations for other stuff, which meant I had to then have an up to date community dental assessment and also wait again for another pre-op. Those things were out of my control.

I know people might say £300 is not much, but it is when your coming off benefits, only been in work 2 months. Haven’t had the opportunity to build up savings again and simply can’t folk out £300 from my Sept pay.

I’ve completed the application for the low income scheme but when I rang also afterwards they said they are still processing July applications, so can’t do anything in that respect until they have said yea or no to help.

Well I am now booked back in and have my op in less than 3 weeks.

Few questions..

1. The immediate dentures that were made for me a few years back to use but haven’t been able to use as all the complications, will they still be okay? I know there not meant to fit properly anyway but don’t want them just dropping out.

2. Should I be concerned that my practice only has a NHS dentist that works only 2 days a week now? Meaning getting follow up appointments or if I have trouble with my immediates it could be hard to see her? Maybe if I’m desperate I could just pay as a private patient and see another dentist?

@MarkGeordie88 haven’t read all of your general but I’m waiting for my appointment for a general anaesthetic too have two teeth removed at the back and detained roots from a previous dentist who have ruined my dental treatment.
What are you having done ?
Also you will be fine . Have been under twice now always panic but then am awake !
How long did you wait for this appointment?
I have my second phone consultation next week ( I went too the dental hospital last month had X-rays and signed paperwork too agree too the general anaesthetic) so am hoping this is too arrange a pre assessment then go from there .

Back