• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

matches and dentists

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Spotted on the Beyond Fear dental phobia message board:

---
"If you struck a match and burnt your finger in the process would it be the fault of the match?

If you developed a life long fear of matches because of that incident who / or what is responsible for that happening?

Silly questions? ..... maybe, maybe not."
---

Do you feel this analogy applies in the context of dental phobia and your own experiences?

No way.
A match is an inanimate object and the fault is primarily your own.

Dentists have widely varying personalities, skill and empathy levels....a particular person meeting a kind, competent dentist may be :-* about dentistry; whereas if they are unfortunate enough to meet :devilish: or :o, they may be :scared: or :scared: about it.

Also you choose to strike a match, who needs to thesedays, but you do still need to see a dentist?
Most people would have their first dentist selected for them by their parents....so again it's something out of their control....meaning the experience can turn out to be good or bad or just okay.

All dentists are not the same - most matches (wherever manufactured) are fairly similar and predictable.

Would the Beyond Fear people be happy to visit any dentist anywhere in the world....a street dentist in Kathmandu Nepal for example?, of course they wouldn't....so yes it is a silly question.

Last edited:
Absolutely not, Like Brit said you choose to strike the match and if you burn yourself then thats your fault, however if you see a dentist and the dentist hurts you then its the dentist who is at fault not the person in the chair. Just my opinion!

Not sure actually, but think i'm a no

When you strike a match it's your decision, your in control of it and it's up to you when you blow out the flame. I'm cautious and would blow it out quite quickly, others would let it burn down, sometimes getting burn't as a result.

Being in the dentist is different though, If they hurt you then (although it should rarely happen) the'y're at fault.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is, that you know that a match is a hazard and there is a risk of being hurt no matter what. With the dentist there is a risk of being hurt, but you can change surgeries, your more in control of the situation and that risk of pain isn't always guaranteed.

Konda makes sense in my head :redface:

I suppose the only way it's not a No, is if you look at it that just because one dentist is horrible and/or incompetent, it doesn't mean they all will be......and if you avoid for ages because of a single bad experience...that's down to you....I know I have in fact never avoided; but I was lucky enough to receive positive messages from other people that fillings didn't hurt and went back to a different dentist determined to insist on getting LA which was never an issue again (in UK anyway).

Back