• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Me Again...with another "is this normal" question.

J

JustMe1972

Hey so I know I am completely neurotic about this, but I am a worrier what can I say. On Wednesday I had four teeth on my upper left side root planed, then I had a tooth extracted from my lower left side. There was a lot of infection under the tooth, so she spent some time scraping it all out, then she had some issues with stopping the bleeding. After inserting a plug, the bleeding stopped, and things look fine. The hole seems to be closing etc. My concern is that it is now Sunday morning and my cheek is STILL swollen. Not quite as much as day 2 and 3, but enough that it is bothering me a bit. I am also still a bit sore off and on. So really I just want someone to tell me if this is within the realm of normal (swelling and a little pain) four days after an extraction. Thanks in advance!

OK, consider yourself told :)

Try some ice packs (frozen peas wrapped in a towel are good) to bring the swelling down a bit.

Thanks, Gordon! You really are kind to take the time to help me out. I'm driving my husband crazy worrying about every little thing...;)

I overanalyze everything also, so I understand completely. I had swelling after my lower molar was extracted. It lasted about 5 days, and on the 6th day it was completely gone when I woke up. The pain lasted about a week, then wasn't too bad. Mine was an easy extraction as well, so no complications. The oral surgeon said swelling is different for everyone

Thank you! That puts my mind at ease! I actually woke up this morning and the swelling seems to have gone down, and the pain is less as well, so yay! (lol)

Just thought I would update! The swelling seems to have lessened (but I still have some). The hole looks like it is closing well, but I am having A LOT of issues with my jaw. I can't open it fully, and it hurts when I try. I am going to wait a couple more days, but if it isn't better by Thursday I think I'll call in a see what they say...sigh

Just thought I would update! The swelling seems to have lessened (but I still have some). The hole looks like it is closing well, but I am having A LOT of issues with my jaw. I can't open it fully, and it hurts when I try. I am going to wait a couple more days, but if it isn't better by Thursday I think I'll call in a see what they say...sigh

I had a stiff jaw for at least a week after getting my root canal, and the same when I had a molar extracted. I kept stretching a little more each day, and massaging the joints from the outside. That actually was listed on my flier from the oral surgeon as a normal side effect after extraction or endodontic work.
I also had pain in my jaw joints during that time, an achy feeling.

I had a stiff jaw for at least a week after getting my root canal, and the same when I had a molar extracted. I kept stretching a little more each day and massaging the joints from the outside. That actually was listed on my flier from the oral surgeon as a normal side effect after extraction or endodontic work.

Huh, mine didn't say anything about that! Thanks...I give those things a try! I am SO ready for my mouth to get back to normal. I've been having dental issues since around the first of December. The extraction was the last thing to get done, then just every six months cleanings.

Huh, mine didn't say anything about that! Thanks...I give those things a try! I am SO ready for my mouth to get back to normal. I've been having dental issues since around the first of December. The extraction was the last thing to get done, then just every six months cleanings.

Ugh, yes, I am ready to be done with dental work, too. I have had ongoing issues since May! I still have to get another tooth filled and crowned, and a crown on my front tooth when it heals, and an implant in next month. Seems neverending.

My oral surgeon had a whole pamphlet on what to expect after surgey, which was great for a worrier like me. He had it split up into what was normal, and what might be an issue that need a look from the surgeon. Very helpful!

Back