• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mental health and dentists. Help me

P

Purplepout

Hi everyone. So here goes. I haven't been to dentist (apart from a couple of emergency appointments with an abcess) since I was a young teen, I'm 34 now. My teeth need work. I had bulimia in my teenage years and that has taken its toll on my teeth. They don't look that bad at the front, it's mainly the back teeth. So for the last 3 years I have had severe anxiety and agoraphobia. As well as depression and ocd. Health anxiety too. Just to top it off!
I've been in awful pain with a lower back tooth for 3 days. I'm taking ibuprofen and cocodamol, using lots of corsodyl and salt water rinses, which is only helping briefly. Can't even describe the pain to you. I'm utterly miserable. I'm a really sensitive and panicky person due to my mental health, so soon as the wave of pain increases in intensity that's it. I'm pacing. Panicking. Breathing is off etc. I know this tooth needs to come out but im so scared. Scared of being judged, having to tell them bulimia did this etc. I'm full of questions so I'm hoping someone can help. I'm in the UK.

If I get an emergency appointment will they remove the tooth there and then?

Will it hurt a lot?

How long will it take? (The longer I'm "trapped" somewhere unfamiliar, the more scared I become)

Will getting it removed cure this pain or initially make it worse as it heals?

Any tips on staying calm?

When the pain starts I panic. In my head it's going to increase and increase to unbearable levels until I'm on the floor screaming in agony. I also think it's forever. Silly I know. But my anxious brain tells me that's it, this pain is your life now. When in reality toothache normally bothers me for a few days and then goes away again. I having my first proper dentist check up booked for 2 weeks away so I'm hoping the pain will die down so I can wait until then, as it's hard for me to get about alone, sorting out a chaperone around people's work commitments is hard. But the appointment is sorted. An emergency one at short notice would be hard to get to. I'm just looking for reassurance I guess. I'm scared and in pain. Alone in the house and been crying all day. Help me :(

Dear Purplepout,

I'm so sorry to hear about your difficult situation and to hear you are in so much pain and so scared. You have been very brave to schedule the appointment in two weeks.

To your questions - as far as I am able to answer it:

If you get an emergency appointment will they remove the tooth there and then? This depends on you and on the state of the tooth. If the tooth cannot be saved, they might suggest to remove it. If the tooth can be saved, they might suggest a treatment. In any case you are the one who decides what can happen and what not.

Will it hurt a lot? No, it shouldn't hurt at all. Whatever they will do, they will make sure to numb you up. If you feel anything, you should stop them and ask them to give you more anesthetics.

How long will it take? Extractions are pretty quick. If the tooth can be saved and they treat it, it might take longer.

Will getting it removed cure the pain or initially make it worse as it heals? Whatever the treatment will be you should be able to keep the pain managed by pain killers. From reading your actual pain seems being worse to me than the pain after an extraction would be.

I am not based in UK and do not know how the emergency there works, but with such a heavy pain it might be a good idea to get seen to know what's wrong with the tooth and what can be done. You then can still decide if you let them fix it or not. It might also be a good idea to take someone with you and let him make sure that you get taken cared of well.

Your anxiety is telling you things that are not true, but there is nothing silly about any of your thoughts. We all have all kinds of scary unreal thoughts when it comes to dental stuff, there is nothing silly about it. I understand your fear about being judged, but no dentist ever should judge you. No one has the right to judge you, you are being very brave and deserve support and compassion. I also get your worries about telling them about your bulimia and you do not have to tell them. You can tell a kind caring dentist you feel comfortable with and trust, if you feel like it once, but unless you decide to say it it's no one's business.

Sending you good wishes and vibes, may you get relieved from the pain soon and may you get treated kindly wherever you go. :XXLhug: All the best also for your appointment in two weeks, hope your dentist will be nice.

Let us know how you are doing

Dear Purplepout,

I'm so sorry to hear about your difficult situation and to hear you are in so much pain and so scared. You have been very brave to schedule the appointment in two weeks.

To your questions - as far as I am able to answer it:

If you get an emergency appointment will they remove the tooth there and then? This depends on you and on the state of the tooth. If the tooth cannot be saved, they might suggest to remove it. If the tooth can be saved, they might suggest a treatment. In any case you are the one who decides what can happen and what not.

Will it hurt a lot? No, it shouldn't hurt at all. Whatever they will do, they will make sure to numb you up. If you feel anything, you should stop them and ask them to give you more anesthetics.

How long will it take? Extractions are pretty quick. If the tooth can be saved and they treat it, it might take longer.

Will getting it removed cure the pain or initially make it worse as it heals? Whatever the treatment will be you should be able to keep the pain managed by pain killers. From reading your actual pain seems being worse to me than the pain after an extraction would be.

I am not based in UK and do not know how the emergency there works, but with such a heavy pain it might be a good idea to get seen to know what's wrong with the tooth and what can be done. You then can still decide if you let them fix it or not. It might also be a good idea to take someone with you and let him make sure that you get taken cared of well.

Your anxiety is telling you things that are not true, but there is nothing silly about any of your thoughts. We all have all kinds of scary unreal thoughts when it comes to dental stuff, there is nothing silly about it. I understand your fear about being judged, but no dentist ever should judge you. No one has the right to judge you, you are being very brave and deserve support and compassion. I also get your worries about telling them about your bulimia and you do not have to tell them. You can tell a kind caring dentist you feel comfortable with and trust, if you feel like it once, but unless you decide to say it it's no one's business.

Sending you good wishes and vibes, may you get relieved from the pain soon and may you get treated kindly wherever you go. :XXLhug: All the best also for your appointment in two weeks, hope your dentist will be nice.

Let us know how you are doing

Hi Enarete,

Thanks so much for your kind response and taking the time out to write it. It's very reassuring!

I'm still in pain though at the moment not as bad, but it's usually worse as the day goes on. My bf has been able to swing a day off work on Thursday so I'm considering booking an emergency appointment that day. Considering. As if I wait till the checkup I know they will rebook me for extraction, whereas in an emergency they can do it there and then. Whether I will go or not is another story as I'm having panic attacks about it already.

I am trying not to take cocodamol today as it would be the fourth day and it says on the packet only use for 3 days. So going to try ibuprofen and orajel and corsodyl and salt water rinses to keep it under control. Fingers crossed.

I'm so nervous. But the pain is encouraging me to just go and get it dealt with. The last time I went with an abcess the dentist wiggled the tooth to tell me which one it was. If he does that with this one, with how sensitive it is, I think I may have to hit him lol.

Thank you again for replying to me it means alot. Got to try and get through today. Will let you know how I go.

Thanks and take care

Back