• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mental health post-IV sedation

J

Jack34jack

Hi-
Anyone who’s done IV sedation or has heard anything about people feeling depressed/anxious after IV sedation?
I have severe anxiety. Like really going through mental health issues at the moment and am concerned the high level of benzo will affect me mentally.

I know, i know…ask the dr during my consult but just wanted to hear other peoples experiences

Hi Kalyse,

I‘ve only heard about this in connection to general anesthetic - there seem to be people who go through some emotional downs afterwards. But even with those, it's more a reaction of few hours afterwards and not a long-term thing that makes their mental health worse. Haven't heard of anyone who would be getting worse mentally after IV-sedation or benzos in general.
When you say you have severe anxiety, may I ask what triggers it? Is it more like you worry about everything all the time or rather having panic attacks that come out of the sudden unpredictably or more the kind of anxiety that gets triggered by certain things?

All the best wishes

Thank you for responding!
right now everything triggers my anxiety. I struggle even leaving my apartment to walk down the street to the grocery store. Ive been dealing with it for 2 years. It all started when I took Tamiflu when I had the flu for the first time ever. I unfortunately had a weird reaction. ?. Ever since then, its been constant panic. Ill go through periods where Im okay but then itll start again. For instance, going to the dentist for the first time in years in September triggered it.

As you mentioned, talk about it with the person administrating the IV sedation. Where I am, there must be a consult with a MD whenever there is IV sedation and they go through your medical history and whatever questions you have. My anesthesiologist told me he wants me to be as comfortable as possible and have a good experience.

In line with what Enarete mentioned, the lighter the sedation, the lighter your side effects would be and the quicker you get to feeling normal.

So far, after IV sedation, I have always felt much less anxious.

As you mentioned, talk about it with the person administrating the IV sedation. Where I am, there must be a consult with a MD whenever there is IV sedation and they go through your medical history and whatever questions you have. My anesthesiologist told me he wants me to be as comfortable as possible and have a good experience.

In line with what Enarete mentioned, the lighter the sedation, the lighter your side effects would be and the quicker you get to feeling normal.

So far, after IV sedation, I have always felt much less anxious.
Evryone ive talked saidnthey were fine after. Now my concern is that when they wake up me up from it, im going to be confused, forget where i am and have a panic attack.

Because you are having sedation, there will always be someone watching you. They should be able to let you know what is going on. If you let them know this is something that worries you, they can even make it a point to remind you of all this when you wake up so that you don’t panic. The medication is still in you at that point, so you shouldn’t have a panic attack. You will still be pretty relaxed.

I had a tooth extracted earlier this week where I had IV sedation and I barely remember what happened when I woke up. I do remember they rolled me out in a wheelchair all the way to the car that brought me home. I was pretty relaxed at that point.

Because you are having sedation, there will always be someone watching you. They should be able to let you know what is going on. If you let them know this is something that worries you, they can even make it a point to remind you of all this when you wake up so that you don’t panic. The medication is still in you at that point, so you shouldn’t have a panic attack. You will still be pretty relaxed.

I had a tooth extracted earlier this week where I had IV sedation and I barely remember what happened when I woke up. I do remember they rolled me out in a wheelchair all the way to the car that brought me home. I was pretty relaxed at that point.
Oh thats a good point.
my other fear is that ill stop breathing. Or that my asthma will be a problem

If your asthma was a problem, they wouldn‘t have let you have the sedation in the first place. And no, you can‘t stop breathing. Pretty much like you can‘t when you‘re conscious.

Last edited:
Also, you normally get additional oxygen through your nose during the treatment which would reduce the possibility of it happening. They monitor your blood oxygenation levels so they would know even before you stop breathing if something is going on.

I had IV sedation for my extraction surgery at the end of September. Something that helped me was having my trusted person with me. The surgeon made sure when I woke up that my friend was the first person I saw and that really helped with my fears and anxiety. I also did some meditation exercises on the drive to my surgery and said a prayer with my surgeon and nurse prior to being put to sleep. I'm sending you positive vibes!!

Also, you normally get additional oxygen through your nose during the treatment which would reduce the possibility of it happening. They monitor your blood oxygenation levels so they would know even before you stop breathing if something is going on.
Oooh i didnt know that. I mean i know they monitored vitals but i didnt know they give u oxygen

I had IV sedation for my extraction surgery at the end of September. Something that helped me was having my trusted person with me. The surgeon made sure when I woke up that my friend was the first person I saw and that really helped with my fears and anxiety. I also did some meditation exercises on the drive to my surgery and said a prayer with my surgeon and nurse prior to being put to sleep. I'm sending you positive vibes!!
I dont really want my friend there right as i wake up..as the first person i saw lol. I wish i could have my mom there but she lives 2000 miles away.
im taking .5mg of xanax an hour before. Im sure that will hit me hard bc itll be on an empty stomach.
thank you for the positive vibes!!

Lol! I wanted my Mom too but she was too far away as well. Thankfully I woke up super easy and was ready to go. I wish that for you too! Yesterday I got my top denture so now I'm learning how to navigate that.

Lol! I wanted my Mom too but she was too far away as well. Thankfully I woke up super easy and was ready to go. I wish that for you too! Yesterday I got my top denture so now I'm learning how to navigate that.
Ooh yea im hoping im not all super groggy when i wake up!
i can imagine getting used to a denture is going to take some time! I lve had a temporary crown for like 3 weeks and its still so annoying!

Back