• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

mental health problems & dentists!

Q

Quixote

Since I was a child I've had serious mental health problems, some of which - like bulimia - did affect my teeth. I imagine that depressive episodes did too, as there were some periods where I didn't leave my bed for a week at a time. I have always tried really hard to take care of my teeth, brushing and rinsing with mouthwash (I have to admit, I've never really flossed until recently) but there have been periods of depression where it was difficult to be regular because I just didn't have the energy and wasn't invested in any kind of future. Like, why muster the energy to wash your hair and brush your teeth when you're planning to kill yourself in a few days?

To be honest, I'm dreading the dentist telling me off for the issues I have (one root canal from a broken tooth, a few small fillings, one big filling) because it will feel like being told off for being mentally ill and I already hate myself for that.

I'm also worried because I have dissociative identity disorder (from being assaulted as a child & adult) and when I'm very very distressed I sometimes 'become' a twelve-year-old boy. I really don't want to do that in front of the dentist! But I have quite limited control over it. If the dentist shouts at me or moves too quickly it's way more likely to happen, and since I'm terrified anyway, I really think I'm at serious risk of dissociating.

Do you think it would be best to explain the issues I have and have had? I worry the dentist might think I'm making excuses or that I'm just weird generally. How much grounding do dentists generally have in mental health stuff?

The majority of dentists and most all dentists in high volume offices have competence at seeing patients with these challenges like you describe. You best solution is to investigate to find a suitable dentist who is a kind and patient person. They do indeed exist.

The majority of dentists and most all dentists in high volume offices have competence at seeing patients with these challenges like you describe. You best solution is to investigate to find a suitable dentist who is a kind and patient person. They do indeed exist.

Thank you so much for this.

Can you tell me honestly, as a dentist would you judge me for what I said above? And for ending up with possibly as many as twelve fillings (including one root canal) at twenty-three years old? How would you react to me having the mental health problems that I do? :(

I do have an appointment for the end of July (I booked it in April and the wait is killing me!) but I don't know if they will be the kind of dentist I need. Their reviews on the NHS website are great though, so I'm hopeful. Honestly, my fear of an angry dentist and my fear of being touched are much worse than my fear of the dental work, which I know won't hurt.

I have GAD and also some other phobias which make seeing the dentist really difficult....as well as being assaulted by a dentist when I was younger.

I have not yet found a dentist who doesn't treat me like I'm a nutcase so I keep looking.

I have an appt tomorrow with an oral surgeon for a consultation about my 2 extractions. I hope I get a good vibe from him.

Since I was a child I've had serious mental health problems, some of which - like bulimia - did affect my teeth. I imagine that depressive episodes did too, as there were some periods where I didn't leave my bed for a week at a time. I have always tried really hard to take care of my teeth, brushing and rinsing with mouthwash (I have to admit, I've never really flossed until recently) but there have been periods of depression where it was difficult to be regular because I just didn't have the energy and wasn't invested in any kind of future. Like, why muster the energy to wash your hair and brush your teeth when you're planning to kill yourself in a few days?

To be honest, I'm dreading the dentist telling me off for the issues I have (one root canal from a broken tooth, a few small fillings, one big filling) because it will feel like being told off for being mentally ill and I already hate myself for that.

I'm also worried because I have dissociative identity disorder (from being assaulted as a child & adult) and when I'm very very distressed I sometimes 'become' a twelve-year-old boy. I really don't want to do that in front of the dentist! But I have quite limited control over it. If the dentist shouts at me or moves too quickly it's way more likely to happen, and since I'm terrified anyway, I really think I'm at serious risk of dissociating.

Do you think it would be best to explain the issues I have and have had? I worry the dentist might think I'm making excuses or that I'm just weird generally. How much grounding do dentists generally have in mental health stuff?
You definately aren't alone. SO many members struggle with various anxieties, and they worsen when we mention the word *dentist*. Any medical professional has absolutely NO RIGHT to judge his/her patients firstly, secondly, if they did or do, you always have the option, of saying *no, thank you*, get up and leave. Perhaps an easier way to find an understanding dentist, is to contact a Psychologist or someone who deals with phobias and anxieties. Perhaps they can suggest a caring, understanding dentist? I had a friend, several years ago who was extremely phobic, and called a Psychologist group to help point her in the right direction. She got the name of several dentists and actually interviewed them. When she originally called each office, she explained she wanted to meet with the dentist first, and all were more than happy to have her sit, chat for a few. You will definately find someone you are comfortable with, and you will be SO much happier after you have completed your dental journey!! Wishing you the best of luck :)

Back