• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mentally Ill, extremely scared, and need dentist

R

rainbowgurl6667

Hi everyone...
I just found this site, and I am hoping that maybe I'll be able to get some advice.

I'm 21 years old and I live in Northern NJ. I have a lot of mental health issues... including major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, borderline personality disorder, and PTSD. On top of all of that, I am EXTREMELY afraid to go to the dentist. And having these illnesses multiply that fear x a million.

I haven't been to a dentist in about 5 or 6 years. But in the past two years, a bunch of dental problems have made themselves known. Problems started in Feburary of 2004. My last tooth on the bottom right side had a pretty big piece come out while I was eating a chocolate covered cherry. It was fine for a long time... and then in the beginning of this year, more of the tooth decayed. It really didn't hurt at all until the beginning of this year. and at the end of April (of this year) I finally just pulled out the remaining small piece of tooth that remained there. It was fine for probably about a month, but then it started to hurt, and I noticed that I either didn't get the entire tooth out, or I have a wisdom tooth growing in. I'm not sure which is the case... but it's painful!

Also, the tooth right next to that one is starting to decay just like that one did. I pretty big piece of it came out about a month ago. And unlike that first tooth... this one does hurt. I can stick the top of my finger in the hole, and I hit an exposed nerve :( My gums around both of these teeth (well, the one tooth, and the whole next to it that has a piece of tooth)  are swollen and painful.

Then the last tooth on the bottom left of my mouth is basically doing the same thing that the other two have. It's only about a half of a tooth now (long ways) and the gums around that tooth are sore also.

I know that I really need to get to a dentist, but I am sooo scared. I mean, I'm on 5 psychotropic meds and I do have something for anxiety (xanax) so I could take that before I go for an exam. But getting the actual work done is what I'm extremely afraid of. I want to be put to sleep while they do what they have to do... which if it's up to me, I hope they will just pull the two teeth that are only peices, and I guess they will have to dig up whatever tooth thingy I have left down in the whole where I took my tooth out. Do any of you know if this is what would most likely be done? And would they do it in the office or would they send me to an oral surgen? And if they did send me to an oral surgen, would he do it in his office? And if so then would he be able to put me to sleep? Or would I have to go to a hospital setting to get actual oral surgery and be put to sleep?

I am very scared... just thinking about all this is making me sick. Can anyone help me???
Thanks,
~Julie~

**EDIT** An important thing I forgot to mention is that I am on social security disability and the only insurance I have is Medicaid. Which from what I've heard and looked up, is accepted by very few dentists (actually, I've heard that it is only accepted by clinics) :(

Re: Mentally Ill, extremely scared, and need denti

Hi Julie,

I'm sorry, the best I can do is offer my support. I'm not a dentist. Do you have a dentist you trust? I'm in Northern NJ myself & my dentist is in Saddle Brook.

I would strongly suggest that you perhaps give the name of your doctor who prescribes the normal meds you take to your dentist. They can conference between them to decide how to best approach the dental work. Hey, we pay them enough money so let THEM figure things out. ;D

No one will allow any work to be done with you until they are positive YOU are comfortable with it. You will do fine. Make the initial call & just go in for a consultation. Discuss all your fears with them. They will help put you more at ease before any work needs to be performed.

In today's day & age, dental work usually doesn't hurt & even if they thought you would be uncomfortable for a few hours after you leave they will prescribe something for you to take.

Please keep reading here & you will find that you're not alone. There is tons of support here!

:grouphug:

Re: Mentally Ill, extremely scared, and need denti

Hi Julie :welcome:
How odd that you and my son have the same mental condition. My son is 25, suffers from a slightly different personality disorder called narcissistic personality disorder. But he also has anxiety, depression, OCD. He also has aspergers disorder (a mild form of autism). But the difference between you and him (and He and myself) is that with all his quirks, anxieties and stuff, he is never afraid to go to the dentist. He lives in California and he actually went by himself to have 4 wisdom teeth removed. I could have never done that in a bet.

He is on depakote, trazadone, zoloft and buspar.

I, myself have been phobic all my life until I found my good guy.

What you need (and I can tell by reading your post, that YOU DO NEED THIS!!!), is a dentist that offers IV sedation.

I did that years ago and at the time, really could not be awake in the chair for anything. I no longer need this because I found the right dentist. I also take a little xanax before I get there. It takes the edge off. I guess a stiff drink would do the same but I don't drink and I'm diabetic so I take a little xanax.

So you need to find a dentist near you that takes medicaid and offers IV sedation.

Since I find dentists for people all the time on these boards, just say the word and I'll be happy to do my darndest to find a guy who will help you. Of course I can't recommend anyone but you can then start a dialogue (perhaps using e-mail, that's how I did it) and talk to the dentist's office that way.
Also, if we get you a dentist, you can just drive around and watch the people come in and come out of the office and you can read their faces.

So think about it. And if you would like my help, just give me your closest zip code and a few near you and I'll get crackin.

all the best.

Melody

Back