• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mentally Ill, extremely scared, and need dentist

R

rainbowgurl6667

Hi everyone...
I just found this site, and I am hoping that maybe I'll be able to get some advice.

I'm 21 years old and I live in Northern NJ. I have a lot of mental health issues... including major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, borderline personality disorder, and PTSD. On top of all of that, I am EXTREMELY afraid to go to the dentist. And having these illnesses multiply that fear x a million.

I haven't been to a dentist in about 5 or 6 years. But in the past two years, a bunch of dental problems have made themselves known. Problems started in Feburary of 2004. My last tooth on the bottom right side had a pretty big piece come out while I was eating a chocolate covered cherry. It was fine for a long time... and then in the beginning of this year, more of the tooth decayed. It really didn't hurt at all until the beginning of this year. and at the end of April (of this year) I finally just pulled out the remaining small piece of tooth that remained there. It was fine for probably about a month, but then it started to hurt, and I noticed that I either didn't get the entire tooth out, or I have a wisdom tooth growing in. I'm not sure which is the case... but it's painful!

Also, the tooth right next to that one is starting to decay just like that one did. I pretty big piece of it came out about a month ago. And unlike that first tooth... this one does hurt. I can stick the top of my finger in the hole, and I hit an exposed nerve :( My gums around both of these teeth (well, the one tooth, and the whole next to it that has a piece of tooth) are swollen and painful.

Then the last tooth on the bottom left of my mouth is basically doing the same thing that the other two have. It's only about a half of a tooth now (long ways) and the gums around that tooth are sore also.

I know that I really need to get to a dentist, but I am sooo scared. I mean, I'm on 5 psychotropic meds and I do have something for anxiety (xanax) so I could take that before I go for an exam. But getting the actual work done is what I'm extremely afraid of. I want to be put to sleep while they do what they have to do... which if it's up to me, I hope they will just pull the two teeth that are only peices, and I guess they will have to dig up whatever tooth thingy I have left down in the whole where I took my tooth out. Do any of you know if this is what would most likely be done? And would they do it in the office or would they send me to an oral surgen? And if they did send me to an oral surgen, would he do it in his office? And if so then would he be able to put me to sleep? Or would I have to go to a hospital setting to get actual oral surgery and be put to sleep?

I am very scared... just thinking about all this is making me sick. Can anyone help me???
Thanks,
~Julie~

Re: Mentally Ill, extremely scared, and need denti

:welcome:

Hi, I am not to sure about how they perform surgery in the uS but here in the UK to have a general anasthetic you have to be reffered to the hospital as the dentists havent got the neccesary equipment to be able to do that. They do however perform oral and IV sedation in the dental office so maybe you could enquire about that? I dont know how it would react to any other drugs you may be taking but it could be worth asking? Hopefully someone with more insight could help you on that?

You have however realised that you do need to see someone about this and that in itself is a major step, you have also posted on this board so you should be proud of yourself for even doing that!

Teeht that are broken down to gum line are much easier to pull out that a whole tooth, I know this from experience as i had 2 teeth like that and I didnt even know they had been taken out!

Everyone here is scared of the dentist in some way so you are by no means alone in your fear. It may help you to write down everything that scares you and perhaps when you are ready to take the next step and see a dentist, you could take it with you and hand it over, I did that at my first appt and my dentist still has it in my files. The best thing is to look for a dentist that is suitable for you and your needs, if your not happy with the first one you are not obliged to stay for treatment so start again, it took me a while to find the right one for me, believe me I went through hell before christmas trying to find my good guy but with perserverance and a whole lot of help from the local authorities I have found him and undergone a few months of extensive treatment, I know if I can do it, so can anyone! :thumbsup:

Re: Mentally Ill, extremely scared, and need denti

IV sedation is really contraindicated for somebody who's taking medication for mental illness, you're probably better off going to an oral surgeon for general anaesthetic I'm afraid.

Back