• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mesial Drift? (And other silly little questions)

S

Sponge

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and I joined to ask a couple of questions just to sort of get answers and calm my nerves down a little. Bear with me, I'm a bit panicked so I'm probably going to write a LOT!

AHEM.

I am 20 years old and have recently had my 1st Molar (number 6 on the lower jaw) removed -

It was basically a tooth that had a lot of problems; starting off with a chipped filling and being incredibly sensitive; for the next couple of years it was constantly being covered with a sealant when it should have really been refilled - it eventually decayed all the way to the nerve underneath and a "pink spot legion" occurred - so I switched dentists and had the thing x-rayed then yanked out unfortunately - which is a shame as all my other teeth are absolutely fine.

The gum now is very swollen and can get very painful - I also have to now eat on the other side - which is a PAIN because I had to do that to begin with when the molar was just a sensitive tooth - this of course caused some TJD which I still suffer from, so I presume eating on the other side again is going to make things a lot worse.

So with the tooth removed I now have a number of options;

Obviously I'd have to wait for the gum to heal first but I'm considering an implant - HOWEVER, I have heard an implant can be the cause of nerve damage - also I am a VERY Young and premature looking 20 - my baby teeth didn't come out until I was 13 - so I'm unsure if my jaw is fully developed and could handle a big metal screw being hammered into it without their being some development problems.

ANOTHER concern of mine is mesial drift.

I am leaving for University in less than a week and won't be back till December - and my next dentist check-up is in 6 months. I know if I get an implant it would mean waiting another 3 months for the stud to heal before putting in a crown. - So that's nine months of having a gap. My question is how long will it take for mesial drift to occur? I'm worried it will cause several problems with speech and singing.

PHEW

Sorry, that was a lot.

Thanks much to any of you that managed to wade through it all, if you can; I'd really appreciate an answer of any kind.

Thanks again.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I am not a dentist and I can only tell you of my experience. About 18 months ago I had a tooth out upper 5 I think it was. Due to circumstances beyond my control I am only just now going to get a bridge to cover the gap up. My tooth hasn't moved or caused me any problems other than the gum feeling a bit sore sometimes especially if I eat crisps.

It shouldn't effect your speech, or singing. :butterfly:

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I am not a dentist and I can only tell you of my experience. About 18 months ago I had a tooth out upper 5 I think it was. Due to circumstances beyond my control I am only just now going to get a bridge to cover the gap up. My tooth hasn't moved or caused me any problems other than the gum feeling a bit sore sometimes especially if I eat crisps.

It shouldn't effect your speech, or singing. :butterfly:

Thank you Carole! :)

Nice to meet someone in a similar position.

A bridge was another option I was considering, obviously cheaper than an implant, but I really didn't want to do any damage to the two other teeth beside it?

I understand what you are saying I didn't mean that you should get a bridge I was just saying after my long wait for something to fill the gap my tooth hasn't moved. The bridge issue doesn't bother me because my tooth at the side has had a root canal and was due to be crowned so I asked if they could fill the gap at the same time. They suggested a bridge.

I wouldn't want to damage a good tooth either if I was in your position. I think an implant is a very good idea for you.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover::butterfly: