• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Messed Up bite

Hiroyuki_SANADA

Hiroyuki_SANADA

Finally overcame my fear of the dreaded dentist and went for a check-up. Surprisingly it wasn't too bad and only needed a scale and polish and a filling on one of my top front teeth. However since my visit it seems as though the bottom front tooth is hitting the top front tooth above it when I close my mouth to chew and bite.
The funny thing is, it ISN'T hitting the one I had filled, but the OK unaltered one (which had no work done on it; apart from the scale & polish) next to it.

Is this a common problem and will it sort itself out over time?
Personally, I don't know if the dentist had anything to do with it or am I just being paranoid, but it seems very noticable recently.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.;D

Last edited:
It's possible that the new filling is a bit lower than the tooth was before the filling was done. So the impact has been transferred to an adjacent tooth.
As for what to do about it, if it's only slight then your teeth will shift around a wee bit to accommodate it. If it's really annoying go back and ask the dentist to sort it out for you, it should only take a few minutes.

thanks for the reply. If I did go back to the dentist to sort it... would it involve any DRILLING?! and how much is he likely to charge me for this procedure?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, I am most concerned with the dentist messing about with my natural tooth rather than the tooth with the work done on it.

You'd need to see the teeth with the bite marked up with some articulating paper, but either the filling needs a wee bit added to it or the enamel shaved off with a motor on the other tooth. I wouldn't worry over losing a small amount of enamel, it's likely to just be a few tenths of a mm at the most.

Back