• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

metal fillins removed

K

kate jones

I'm due to have 5/6 metal fillings removed and replaced with white this will be done in a day but my sister thinks this is too long for one sitting on average how long would it take and is it advisable to do all in one sitting

I’m not a dentist, but to be able to help you, I believe one would need to know the location and size of those fillings.

I’m not a dentist either, and I hope 1 would respond to this. In my experience I’ve only ever had 1 or 2 fillings done at once this was to help me basically not get to overwhelmed. My dentist actually would split it into a half of my mouth if it was only 1 on top and 1 on the bottom or but the quadrant so upper left or lower left ect. I would definitely talk to your dentist and find out how big and long each one will approximately will take and if they’re In different quadrants would they do them in halves or quadrants And how many replacements per session in in that half or quadrant. I had 7 fillings after not seeing a dentist for over 10yrs 1 was quite close to the nerve and needed a hr so they did that in 1 session then I had 3 other appointments where they did 2 per session the numbed my whole left side for 2 fillings 1 on the top and 1 on the bottom. I had 2 on my top right that was done in another session and 1 on my bottom right and 1 in the front in another session. The last session was really fun because opposite sides of my lips were numb which made it look funny for a couple of hrs if I could do it again I would’ve asked if I could’ve had the whole right side numbed and the 3 done in one session but I understand that would’ve been too much for me to have done in 1 session.

There are no maximum it’s how long you want to sit and your dentist wants to work. I cannot remember how much local an adult can have, but it is at least a handful of carpules if necessary. The average filling takes less than one carpule.

Why are you having so many fillings replaced?

White fillings look nice, but they generally aren’t proven to last as long as amalgam. If they are posterior teeth (in the back) and in good condition working without any pain, I would exercise caution replacing them for strictly cosmetic or health reasons. You see amalgam is generally safe, and it’s rare for someone to see all of your teeth way back.

If three are damaged, leaking, or otherwise failed, by all means replace them ASSP!

Hi,

How long this kind of treatment plan takes depends on many factor and varies between patients.

Back