• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

might need a root canal or extraction - i'm freaking out!

1398_Days

I don't really know if this is the right place to post this.. but I'm kind of panicked right now and I could really use some support. I don't really have dental phobia anymore, but I do have agoraphobia. I've been almost completely housebound since 2016 and haven't been to the dentist since then. Well, over the past few days I have been having some jaw and tooth pain.

I had a lot of dental work done in 2015 and the jaw pain started some time after that (I think my bite got messed up from the two extractions I had). I clench my teeth too, so that also plays a part in it. Anyway, I blamed my sore jaw on teeth-clenching and stress. No biggie. Well, the pain hasn't gone away. It was pretty bad on Thursday and I could barely concentrate. Yesterday was a bit better but still sore. And then today.. I woke up with a very sore tooth. Before the pain in my jaw/teeth had been more of a general pain, but this pain makes it obvious which tooth is causing it. It hurts a lot when I bite down (eating is quite a hassle!) and it just feels.. weird. Like it's dead. But of course, being the stubborn person I am, I STILL blamed it on my teeth clenching.

Then, I drank some ice water earlier. The tooth that's been hurting is very sensitive to cold. It has been since I got a large filling in it a couple years ago. Well when I was drinking my water today, it didn't hurt. Not just that it didn't hurt, but I didn't feel anything! So I'm afraid the tooth is dead or something. I have no idea what to do. I haven't left my house in months, I don't know how I'm supposed to get to the dentist. I'm also worried because when I initially got that tooth filled, my dentist mentioned that he almost thought I was going to need a root canal because the filling was so deep. So I'm sure I'm going to need one now. Or just get it pulled. Is it bad that I would rather get it pulled? I might have to anyway since root canals aren't cheap!

I could really use some support though. I guess I'll have to make this work.. but it's going to suck. Especially if I have to get it pulled. I've had two other teeth extracted for the same reason (dental hygiene was not my favorite thing as a child. I sure am paying for that now!), and it has really screwed up my bite because I wasn't able to afford implants or braces. The last thing I need is another gap! Ahhh I don't know what to do. Please help

S

Spider

I'm so sorry your tooth is giving you problems. Over the years I've suffered from varying degrees of agoraphobia too, and I can sympathize so much. Its freaking terrifying. Have you searched on google for dentists near you that might do well with nervous patients? I know some dentists can prescribe a pill beforehand that will help calm anxiety before you arrive. I wish I had better advice- I'm still trying to figure out how to handle my agoraphobia and bad teeth (also due to a bad bite, crappy genetics and clenching) so I can fully sympathize.

Please let us know how you're doing and keep us updated.

S

soupy

I don't really know if this is the right place to post this.. but I'm kind of panicked right now and I could really use some support. I don't really have dental phobia anymore, but I do have agoraphobia. I've been almost completely housebound since 2016 and haven't been to the dentist since then. Well, over the past few days I have been having some jaw and tooth pain.

I had a lot of dental work done in 2015 and the jaw pain started some time after that (I think my bite got messed up from the two extractions I had). I clench my teeth too, so that also plays a part in it. Anyway, I blamed my sore jaw on teeth-clenching and stress. No biggie. Well, the pain hasn't gone away. It was pretty bad on Thursday and I could barely concentrate. Yesterday was a bit better but still sore. And then today.. I woke up with a very sore tooth. Before the pain in my jaw/teeth had been more of a general pain, but this pain makes it obvious which tooth is causing it. It hurts a lot when I bite down (eating is quite a hassle!) and it just feels.. weird. Like it's dead. But of course, being the stubborn person I am, I STILL blamed it on my teeth clenching.

Then, I drank some ice water earlier. The tooth that's been hurting is very sensitive to cold. It has been since I got a large filling in it a couple years ago. Well when I was drinking my water today, it didn't hurt. Not just that it didn't hurt, but I didn't feel anything! So I'm afraid the tooth is dead or something. I have no idea what to do. I haven't left my house in months, I don't know how I'm supposed to get to the dentist. I'm also worried because when I initially got that tooth filled, my dentist mentioned that he almost thought I was going to need a root canal because the filling was so deep. So I'm sure I'm going to need one now. Or just get it pulled. Is it bad that I would rather get it pulled? I might have to anyway since root canals aren't cheap!

I could really use some support though. I guess I'll have to make this work.. but it's going to suck. Especially if I have to get it pulled. I've had two other teeth extracted for the same reason (dental hygiene was not my favorite thing as a child. I sure am paying for that now!), and it has really screwed up my bite because I wasn't able to afford implants or braces. The last thing I need is another gap! Ahhh I don't know what to do. Please help
hi there :)
I have agoraphobia too, brought on by stress. I haven't had it as long as yourself, but i know a bit about how you feel. We are all different, but for me, the over-riding concern of my infection just sort of 'forced' me in to making an appointment, but without my partner I probably wouldnt have attended.
For me, having someone reassuring me on the journey was essential. I also listened to calming music, and had the appointment at a less busy time of day to lessen my stress. I used essential oils like lavender on my pulse points, and took Bach flower Rescue remedy.. When i got back home i was physically exhausted, but i felt it was better that than driving myself totally bonkers with worry. There is still worry ahead for me, and I have an extraction to overcome, but I feel i can do it, and I am sure you can too.