• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Might need a root canal - vent-ish

G

Former Member
I have contacted my dentist about this, but I still need to vent!

I think I'm going to need a root canal. :censored:

Yesterday my tooth started hurting, it was a throbbing sensation. It would kind of come in waves, and when I took Tylenol it stopped. When the Tylenol wore off, it started hurting again.

This tooth has had a filling in the past. It's always been my 'troublesome' tooth. I don't know what this is called, but when I got my braces off there was a cavity on the side of my tooth. It was like a hole. And then later I had a normal cavity on the biting surface. That was my first cavity and it wasn't fixed until it was pretty big. (pain, sensitivity) Since then I've always had sensitivity to cold on that side, but I've never thought anything about that.

I had it filled around 2 years ago, with a tooth colored filling. Did the filling leak or something? Could that be why it hurts right now?

Now this morning it hurts when I apply pressure to the side of my tooth, but not when I bite down. I was thinking that was because of me retainer, but it's still sensitive to pressure right now.

I'm one of those people that does extensive research on everything, so I've been reading about root canals and such, and it's gotten me worried.

I've been through bonding on my top 6 front teeth (cosmetic purposes) and I had gum surgery on my top teeth also. (Also cosmetic, I'm an actress.) I've been doing whitening too. (That's a whole nother story...my bonding has been whitening, even though it shouldn't be able to do that! LOL)

Sorry if this post is discombobulated, I'm a little stressed right now.

Can't really tell what's going on from this, it could be the nerve is dying and you might need a root canal or it could be from biting trauma if the tooth is being moved around by the braces. Does the pain come on when you eat/drink hot foods and does it linger? How about cold?

Ever since I had it filled it's been somewhat sensitive to cold. (Like rinsing with freezing cold water, or during cleanings.) I haven't had any problem with eating or drinking up until now. But since I got the toothache, I haven't been chewing on that side just as a precautionary measure.

I can feel my pulse in it though, which is a very wierd sensation. I feel it when I'm moving around, like going from sitting to standing quickly.

I'm kind of worried about it since I won't be able to get into the dentist until after Easter it looks like. And we've got family coming! Oh dear.

The tooth that is causing me problems is one that was filled by my old dentist. I left him last year to go to a cosmetic dentist and a periodontist. They're both amazing and I stayed with them. I haven't had any problem with filllings that they've done, but I have had ones that my original dentist did replaced. So maybe that's what happened...the filling leaked and decay got in, or it wasn't clean enough before he filled it.

They are out of the office right now, so I guess if it gets worse I can call my dentist's personal emergency number.

The sensitivity to cold after filling is a wee bit worrying, it would suggest that the filling may be leaking. Sounds like it could do with some attention soon. Sorry. :(

Back