Mild Pain 3 Weeks after Root Canal

S

Squashface

Both upper front teeth have had crowns on for 12 years after a bike accident. 2 years ago I had them replaced with ceramic crowns. 6 weeks ago I developed severe pain in one of the teeth, and NHS 111 dentist prescribed antibiotics as they suspected an abscess.

The private dentist who fitted the crowns agreed to do a free root canal as a gesture of good will (not sure why) 3 weeks ago. He managed to go through the crown without it cracking and he said everything had gone very well. He showed me the X-ray and said it all looked good. The only thing he pointed out was that the end of the root wasn’t defined on the X-ray, he had a name for it but I can’t remember what that was as I’d taken Valium prior to the procedure. On the X-ray i could clearly see where the root canal filling had been put in, but I couldn’t see a defined line where the end of the root was. Not sure whether this is significant.

Since the anaesthetic wore off the gum was in a lot of pain where the rubber dam was, and the tooth felt odd. Then I noticed the next day that there was a very mild pain when I pushed my tongue into the back of my tooth. I believe it probably was there the day before but I was focused on the gum pain. A few days after this I went for a run and noticed a throbbing pressure (no pain) in the tooth whilst running. Both symptoms completely go when I take ibuprofen.

3 weeks later, the throbbing has mostly stopped, but I still get the very mild pain when I press the back of my tooth with my tongue. It barely hurts so I don’t need to take painkillers, but it’s there making me feel anxious there maybe an issue. But on the other hand I read that on occasion it can take more than a few weeks to heal.

Can anyone advise whether they think it’s just taking a long time to heal or there’s something wrong? Do I just need to wait it out? I can’t tell whether my worrying about the pain is making it seem worse. I’m very anxious about going to the dentist, so I think I scale up pain and think the worst! Like I say it’s so mild and not constant that I don’t feel the need to take painkillers. Somedays it doesn’t hurt at all even when pressing on it.

I’ve rung my usual NHS dentist for an appointment, but as I’m not in severe pain I won’t be able to see the dentist for a few weeks as they’re so backed up with appointments due to closing during Covid-19.

Last edited:
Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Wait a bit before you start panicking, teeth can be slightly sensitive for some time after root canal work.

S

Squashface

Thank you so much for replying. That’s really helpful!