• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Missing molars and not replacing?

S

Sweetpeas

I lost my 1st molar on the right side long ago and I didn’t replace it. I don’t notice much difference and feel ok. Recently, my impacted wisdom tooth and second molar on the same side had repeat infection. My dentist suggested extraction of both teeth and replace them with either partial denture or implants. Thus I’ll miss 3 lower back teeth on one side. But I don’t want either denture or implants. I’m wondering is anyone here lost multiple molars on one side and didn’t replace them. Does your face look different ? How do you eat? Is there any significant negative consequences? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi,

there is no facial change but it definitely impairs the quality of the chewing.

My husband is missing both upper molars on right side and had his wisdom teeth out long ago. He gets along fine but will chew on the other side with really tough stuff.
I was missing both lower molars for about eight months, while waiting for implants. I had wisdom teeth out as a teen and a set of premolars out for orthodontics so all I had was one premolar, canine and incisors on the right side bottom. I couldn’t really chew on that side at all during that time.

I just had 3 removed on one side- lower Right. Both Molars & a premolar. I just shove everything to the opposite side to chew.
I’m having a partial denture made eventually I’m letting it heal before I start the process. I have no intention of doing implants ever.
One day I hope to have a full set of dentures. No implants.
Just old school ones.

Thank you for your reply.

I’m in my early 40. How likely my front teeth would spread forward ( like to picture shown below) if I don’t replace missing #30 #31 and #32?

Thank you for your reply.

I’m in my early 40. How likely my front teeth would spread forward ( like to picture shown below) if I don’t replace missing #30 #31 and #32?
Not a dentist but from what my oral surgeon and dentist told me, your teeth tend to shift forward, so if the teeth you are talking about missing are back molars, it should not impact your front teeth. The problem comes when you are missing teeth that have teeth behind them. The ones behind tend to shift forward into the space. I have a missing upper back molar, and none of the teeth in front of it shifted. I actually wish they would because my teeth are crowded. Lol.

Sorry, forgot to attach the picture

86F43C9F-3A06-4ED7-B908-179984AC0C8E.jpeg

I have four molars left; Two on the left (both at the top). Two on the right (at the very back, top and bottom - both meet, but as they're the only two teeth back there it's virtually impossible to chew with them).

No one ever discussed with me the option of replacing these. Ive told various dentists before (same practice, but the dentists always seemed to leave and I'd get a new one) that it's difficult for me to eat but it seems to fall on deaf ears and I end up feeling a nuisance.
I've been to two different NHS practices in the last 6 years and got the same deaf ears response.
It only got a brief mention last year after they saw my front teeth are decaying now... Even then no plans, nothing discussed in detail, just a brief mention of it being a possibility. I did ask for further information/an appointment to discuss it to rectify the situation so I'd be able to chew, but didn't hear back.
And the decay on the front tooth wasn't treated either btw. Nor will the chips or erosion as it's considered "cosmetic".

I then went private out of desperation. I got a quote for a partial chrome denture; 5k and no detail as to what it would entail, just a brief Google image shown by the nurse as I was paying her - again I felt unheard and not really cared about.. except I paid £95 for the privilege that time ..

So, my front teeth are chipping, cracked and have signs of decay and enamel erosion.. presumably from years of using them to chew.

If it helps to know, I eat a lot of fruit, no fizzy drinks (maybe once a month, straw, with lunch), dark chocolate with lunch..

Months to a year or so after extractions I had pain here and there as more tooth surface was exposed due to surrounding gums shrinking (at least that's what I was told 5 years ago - They still hurt but I've given up telling them as it's always "watch and wait").

I have an overbite, but my jaw hasn't been right since a right side of badly/overfilled teeth.. after all the extractions, fillings (some deep), decay, etc it's difficult to know what's the cause of each problem.

None of the remaining molars are sideways or in a weird position.
The right two have no teeth either side and quite large gaps from where they are in the back, to the front where I have premolars and the other teeth left.
My front teeth have shifted ever so slightly, no one would probably tell but me.

Not sure what will happen in another 10 years time.. I'll just lose more I imagine, as I "watch and wait"!

Back