• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

mobile lump under my jaw near broken molar,HELP!!!

K

kstar

First of all I am so thankful I found this site!!!!

I haven't been to the dentist in 18 years :redface:. 10 years ago one of my molars broke the next year the molar on the opposite side broke and 5 years after that my upper molar broke. (All that and I still didn't see a dentist) I made it through the pain of all of that and over a year ago I noticed a lump on the gum where the first molar broke. IT was an abcess now you would think I would go to the dentist after that,NOT!! I am so embarrassed :redface: I discovered a lump a month ago under my jaw close to my neck under where the broken molar is located. I brushed it off hoping it would go away. This past Tuesday I noticed it again but it wasn't any bigger. I am petrified that is cancer or something. I am so scared I actually made an appointment with a dentist for this coming Tuesday! I am sooooo scared!!! Does anyone know what this lump could be??? What can I expect when I go to the dentist for the first time after 18yrs with three broken molars???What kind of procedures will I need??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Re: mobile lump under my jaw near broken molar,HEL

id deffently get seen by a dentist. I think you kinda have to now. Dont worry about them yelling at you about the condition of your teeth, most people avoid the dentist at all cost, so i highly doubt ur the worse case they ever saw. And if they do give u crap about the condition of your teeth, simply get up and leave. You dont have to be ridiculed by a stranger just because he's a doctor. If that happens, just go to another dentist. Why put yourself in more pain and danger?

I'm sorry i don't know what this Lump is :( I'm sure Dentists on here,will be able to help you. :) But what i can say is,that u really need to see a Dentist.

It's great u have made a Dentist Appointment for Tuesday. I know you are really scared & embarassed about going. But honestly they have seen far worse, & they will never get angry with you :XXLhug:

Hope everything turns out ok :XXLhug:

Thank you for the support everyone, I hope a dentist on this site can give me some sort of peace of mind before I go on Tuesday. I am freaking out about the lump!!! I haven't told any of my family or friends about it,I don't want to alarm anyone. I will definately keep you all up to date with my progress. I forgot to mention that inside that broken molar there is lump also. PLEASE PLEASE Dentist that visit this board or anyone that has some advice let me know your thoughts!

I certainly agree you should see a dentist or family Dr. to have the lump checked out. If you have an infection or abscess, it could be a swollen lymph node.Only a Dr. can con firm .

Hi Kstar and  :welcome:!

The week-ends are sometimes a little quiet around here but I'm sure that Pars or Gordon (our wonderful dentists) will be around before Tuesday.  They may not be able to tell you what it is but perhaps some of the possibiities of what it could be will help ease your mind.

If it is an abscess then it will be a matter of getting some antiobitics to clear up the infection and then fixing the teeth.  Going after a long absence can be a bit scary, I also waited over 17 years and I can honestly say things were much, much better than I remembered.  

Best of luck on Tuesday and please let us know how it goes!

Pam

Hi there. I'm no expert at all, having just undergone treatment after staying away from dentists for 39+ years. But, you say you brushed a lump away. If it were an abscess you wouldnt have been able to do that as the only way to get rid of one of those is by puncturing it and getting rid of the horrible yellow pus inside - but of course that's a dentist's job. Could be something as simple as a mouth ulcer. The worrying is always worse than the actuality and I'm sure your appointment on Tuesday will allay your fears and it will be just a minor problem that will be easily fixed. Best of luck and do let us all know how you get on. We'll all be thinking of you Tuesday. Me in particular, Tuesday is usually my dentist day - has been for the past few weeks, but thank goodness my last appt for a few months was last Tuesday Just don't know what I and my sister, who always went with me, will do with ourselves. We so enjoyed our travel up to London and then our Starbucks coffees afterwards. :grouphug:

It's a chronically infected lymphatic gland, comes from the chronic infection in the molar. Once the tooth has been dealt with it'll go away quite quickly. Don't worry about it.

Why do you guys always assume that dentists will "give you a telling off" about the state of your teeth? Think about it for a minute... more holes in your teeth equals loads of money for us ;D

OMG!!! Thank you Gordon! I am definately going to the dentist on Tuesday to fix all of my broken teeth. You have put my mind at ease I can now enjoy whats left of my holiday weekend. Does this also explain the lump inside of the tooth? What do you think I need to get to fix my teeth?

This forum is GREAT!!!! I appreciate all of the support :-* :respect:

Well, gorden i used to think the same thing intill 2003 when i went to a dentist, and he scolded me about the conditions of my teeth. (because i had 2 broken molars, and some cavaties, he made me think i deserved to be in the pain i was in)I even remember getting defensive with him, and cursing him out, telling him "hey look, you should be kissing my.... if i dident have these problems you wouldent be living out in the hamptons with a new car every month)

Gordon said:
Why do you guys always assume that dentists will "give you a telling off" about the state of your teeth? Think about it for a minute... more holes in your teeth equals loads of money for us  ;D
Because Gordon, that is what they used to do and that is partly to blame I think for a lot of our phobias. But those of us who have now managed to get ourselves into a dentists know differently. If only I'd been able to get myself to the dentists 20 years ago at least I could probably have saved my teeth. Never mind, I'm quite content now.

Gordon said:
Why do you guys always assume that dentists will "give you a telling off" about the state of your teeth? Think about it for a minute... more holes in your teeth equals loads of money for us  ;D
Because they have got very angry with me in the past. :(
That's 1 of the reasons i avioded seeing a Dentist

Well, I stand corrected. I suppose you get numpties in every walk of life.

Just to add my comment (!!)

My last dentist of 10 years ago was a horrible little man, who seemed to take great pleasure in my fear and thus calling me a 'baby' and criticising me for not looking after my teeth!!! :mad:

If it wasn't for morons like him, I'd have had perfect teeth... :confused:

It annoys me so much because I know for a fact that if I were to criticise the people I deal with in my line of work every day in the same way, I would be fired on the spot..and quite rightly..!!

My new dentist thankfully does not live in the dinosaur age !! (and Yes we pay their salary don't forget!!)

Sorry, just needed to vent my anger towards this "horrible little man!" who ruined ny confidence....

Jools
xx

I also had a hygenist when I went back to my regular dentist after having my deep cleanings done at the peridontist sa y to me "I can't do anything with these teeth". Your pockets are too deep. Well I ripped off the paper bib and told her she was rude. Could not visit that office again after walking out that day and it did leed to the the condition of my teeth gettig worse! When a professioal says things to humiliate you,no wonder we avoid treatment.
That was a long time ago, but still gets me very angry!!!!

kstar said:
OMG!!! Thank you Gordon! I am definately going to the dentist on Tuesday to fix all of my broken teeth. You have put my mind at ease I can now enjoy whats left of my holiday weekend. Does this also explain the lump inside of the tooth? What do you think I need to get to fix my teeth?

This forum is GREAT!!!! I appreciate all of the support  :-* :respect:
How did it go ? Hope everything went ok :)

Didn't go yet,its @ 3:45 pm :scared:Freaking out over here but I am going!!!!!Thanks for checking up on me! :XXLhug:

Oh. Let us know how it goes :)

Thinking of you :XXLhug:

Well I did it! :jump: But there is bad news....... :cry:

First off let me say my dentist was super nice and sensitive. I was told that my broken molars are beyond saving and I have to have three extractions ASAP! She said that my one molar is highly infected to the bone!I am scared again But I pushed through the fear and made an appointment with the oral surgeon for Monday for a consultation. The Dentist gave me a presciption of penicillian to start taking immediatly.

Has anyone had an infection down to the bone?? Did the penicillian help?

Thanks for your support...You all have gotton me this far in my quest for a healthy mouth :grouphug: