• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Molar extraction and bone grafting with no stitches?

M

MountainMama

I had my molar extracted today, and the dentist packed it with bone grafting material. However, he did not put a collagen plug, or sew a membrane in place like the oral surgeon did for my other tooth. The site is just open. It doesn't feel right, and is freaking me out.
Plus, the hygienist told me to take out the gauze when I got home and that I shouldn't need more. It is still bleeding a lot! It is filling the inside of my lip with blood. I put another gauze pad on for another half hour, but it is still bleeding quite a bit. This is nothing like the extraction done at the oral surgeon.

Is this normal procedure?

For the bleeding, did you try biting in a moistened tea bag? Maybe you want to call the dentist to verify what to do. Don't forget you probably have a mix of saliva and blood, not just blood. I know when I had my extraction I got a few extra gauze from the dentist, but barely needed one extra. Everyone is different and probably every extractions are different. As long as things are healing, it will be fine.

A dentist can correct me, but I believe there are multiple ways to do a bone graft. I'm under the impression the difference is simply that your dentist is using a different material and a different technique than what your oral surgeon used.

For the bleeding, did you try biting in a moistened tea bag? Maybe you want to call the dentist to verify what to do. Don't forget you probably have a mix of saliva and blood, not just blood. I know when I had my extraction I got a few extra gauze from the dentist, but barely needed one extra. Everyone is different and probably every extractions are different. As long as things are healing, it will be fine.

A dentist can correct me, but I believe there are multiple ways to do a bone graft. I'm under the impression the difference is simply that your dentist is using a different material and a different technique than what your oral surgeon used.

I asked about it, and it was the exact same material, a synthetic in the form of small granules, that they mix with a gel.

The bleeding is slowing down now, and is more seeping than flowing, so that is good. I went through about 6 gauze pads, changing every half hour to hour, depending on when it had enough blood to make me gag. It is just seeping now, where I constantly taste blood, and if I look at it in the mirror, I can see blood oozing from edges of the hole, around the bone grafting material. As long as it stays like that, I am not worried any more. The pain is finally kicking in, but isn't terrible. Just tylenol should manage, and maybe a tramadol at night. I am just glad it is over!

Back