• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

molar extraction and possible nerve damage

R

rienwww

12 weeks ago,root canal revision on upper right molar – tooth 16 – gave discomfort in one root canal (and that tooth has been problematic all my life). 10 weeks ago after cheek swelling, tooth 17 was extracted in emergency due to wrong diagnosis. After few days, first major episode of “attack” on 01/12/2018. Dentist did apicotoemy on 16 tooth (05/12/2018), removed a cyst (but not in a canal of discomfort). Major attack followed again several times until final Extraction of tooth 16 (17/12/2018). Felt relief and situation improved over time, but minor/major attacks persist.
Main Problem/ Attacks:
After root canal, and first extraction, I had first sudden stiffness/inflammation/numb around the gums on tooth 16, but without particular pain. The right part of the face became numb – up to the roof of the head, BP and pulse went up, I was able to measure constant resting pulse 110, accompanied by the bowel movement. Episode lasted almost whole night. I became swollen beneath the right eye, with redness next to the nose, and cheek slightly swollen. Vision blurred a bit on the right eye.
After that, the attacks have been more minor in nature, but continued. During the day, there is still sensitivity around the wound in form of stiffness (that is very low during non attack time). During the attacks that are up to 2h, and that always start with increased stiffness in that part of gums – now I have instead of numbness - rush comes to the right side of the face (or bowel movement), while pulse jump to 95.

I can’t say what is causing the attacks, but had impression maybe by the wind/ or cold/touching the wound.
Also, I do have constant ringing in the ears (tinnitus) with changeable intensity during attack since surgery. I am still constantly very lightly swollen beneath right eye – it gets a bit bigger during attack time (almost 2 moths now swollen). Also, I have impression that the corner of the right lip went down a bit. Cheek close to nose also can very lightly swell. There is small bump in mouth roof after surgery. No particular pain, just a discomfort that cause increased heart rate and fatigue.

- 2 dentists said no infection and radio looked normal. 3d scan showing the healing, but the problem persist. All other inflammatory readings (blood...) are fine.

Questions:
- is this a nerve damage? can it be some other underlying condition? The same tooth badly reacted 2 times before to root canal procedure (and the dentist looked puzzled since all looked good, but I had the biggest pain ever)
- it is 2 months now, and the wound closes very slowly. It is still a bit red where is a scar. Should I be concerned ?
- I am aware that it is difficult to answer, but if the area hopefully gets better, any chance for implant (probably bone graft will be needed). Honestly I am afraid even to think about it.

any experience, indication what should I do is very welcome
thanks

Attachments

• 20190117_144504.jpg
    20190117_144504.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190206_173733.jpg
    20190206_173733.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 07022019.jpg
    07022019.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 15
1: Doubt it, you wouldn't get those symptoms from nerve damage. Nerves carry electrical impulses which transmit information, so you either get numbness/altered sensation or loss of movement if there's nerve damage.
2: Looks like it's healing nicely, there's plenty of bone in-fill on the x-ray. Different people heal at different rates.
3: Not an implantologist, but it looks like it could be possible to me. Try asking Comfort Dentist directly.

thanks, to be very honest, very afraid since the symptoms do not disappear. and more afraid to do implant there, since that area showed up to be very problematic
will consult neurologist in any case

Back