• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

molar sensitive to hot and cold

G

Former Member
Hi guys,

Just a quick question if I may. I had two impacted wisdoms removed about three weeks ago. The molar next to one of them which was part in part out is now sensitive to hot and cold drinks. I remember my dentist X raying the tooth and he said he would have to sort it out when the surgery is over. Apparently the wizzie had caused a bit of damage to the side of the molar as it pushed against it.

He did say though that it wasn't urgent and he would sort it out at my next six monthly check. In his words - "you're not going to get a raging toothache or anything"

My dilema is that I'm off on my sunny hols in two weeks and wouldn't want this tooth to flair up on a remote Greek Island - but to be honest I don't want to sort this out until after my hols. I've only just got over the wizzie surgery to be honest. :(

The tooth itself gives me no pain at all unless I drink hot or very cold liquid and the gum around it still hasn't recovered fully from the surgery so there is still a lot of the molar which feels exposed.

My wife says she had similar after her wizzie surgery but it went once her gums had fully healed.

What should I do guys - go now to the dentist or leave it and take the risk of it flairing up on my hols. - Not sure I could face more dental stuff so near to my wizzie surgery and as I say the pain is not that bad and only very brief when hot or cold drinks tough a certain sopt behind the tooth where the wizzie was?

As ever thankyou very much for your time in advance.
:)

Kind of a hard one to answer remotely. So a whole load of "ifs" are coming at you, sorry :)
If the pain is short and sharp and stops pretty quickly then it's probably either some root surface exposed at the back of the molar where the wizzie was extracted or else it's a small area of fairly superficial decay. If it's the former then some sensodyne or similar sensitive tooth potion rubbed into the area will help. If it's the latter then it'll need to be filled. But it can probably wait till you come back.
If the pain lingers for a while after it starts then it's more likely to be deeper decay and you shouldn't wait.

I think that's enough "ifs" for one posting :)

Back