• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

More and more anxious as IV sedation nears

J

Jack34jack

Im 13 days out from my tooth extraction (and possible bone graft) via IV sedation. My nerves keep coming and going. Right now Im scared I just wont wake up. I know they will monitor me and have me hooked up to machines but Im still fairly anxious about it. I wish I could do it all via local but my gag reflex is strong since the tooth is a back molar (#18).

And now it seems like my tooth abscess is getting worse. Im freaking out a little thinking its never gonna go away even when the tooth is pulled…like im gonna end up in the hospital.

Kalyse, I'm on this site because I'm phobic about work on my mouth. (which is slightly different than being afraid). That said I've had work done under IV sedation two or three times. You'd think I'd remember how often, but the truth is that the experience has been so relaxed, a complete non-event, that I don't even remember that.
IV sedation is NOT the same as a GA (general anaesthetic) and you are NOT knocked out. When I've had GAs in the past I can remember right up to the point of losing consciousness, and then clear memories from a distinct "waking up".
My IV experience is quite different. I've vague memories of walking into the examination room, and even of chatting to the d****t. (Sorry, my phobia means I can't even type the d.....t word!). I have some vague memories of my wife talking to me on the way home; I think. I remember having a cold drink on one occasion, lying on the sofa with the TV on while recovering. But nothing else at all.
However my wife (who came with me) tells me about helping me out of the surgery and her worry getting me down a flight of steps as I was a bit "doddery". Doddery maybe, but conscious and able to follow her instructions - and keep my balance down stairs!
I don't really know what else to tell you, as my experience of IV is so non-memorable. But an important thing to remember is that you are NOT unconscious, asleep, or otherwise "knocked out". So there's no need to fear you won't wake up. You might "lose" a couple of hours of your life, a little less, a little more. But since those hours are a time you really don't want to remember, at any level, it's all good.
So chill out, relax and enjoy the experience. Hopefully your abscess won't get too bad before you get there.

Ooooh. I keep reading people saying they were asleep. Your post made me feel a bit better, thank you.
Do they give the medication via IV a little bit at a time? I forgot to ask my oral surgeon. Im REALLY sensitive to medication so I dont want to be given an automatic high dose.

Im also still concerned about how out of it ill be after. I remember when I got my wisdom teeth out years ago…i wasnt too out of it. I was able to go to the pharmacy with my friend but passed out there ?. Im scared that will happen again! Im going to see if i can stay at the oral surgery center recovery room for about an hour just to make sure Im ok.

Well, I can only go by my experience, and I've just read your post about fasting beforehand; I don't recall having to do that (though as above I recall very little!); I know there are different varieties of IV sedation so yours may be slightly different. Let the anaesthetist know about your previous experience with your wisdom teeth. But the principle is still that you're sedated (i.e. calm, quiet, relaxed and comfortable) rather than unconscious. They won't let you leave the centre until they're satisfied that you're ok, and you will need someone with you; I think at the place I used they needed assurance I'd be accompanied for at least 6 hours.

Afterwards, go home, put your feet up, binge on a box set. (But be prepared to have to watch it again later!) Let us know how you get on.

It didnt make sense to me like why i had to fast for IV sedation. I understand why for GA, but not for IV. I dont plan on eating a meal beforehand but i was thinking a bite of toast 6 hours before and a couple sips of juice 2 hours before would be ok. ??‍♀️

Is there conscious and unconscious IV sedation? Ive read someone remember bits and pieces of the procedure and some just “falling asleep” and then waking up in recovery. This is really just a regular tooth extraction (w abscess) and maybe a bone graft so its not a super lengthy/intensive procedure why id have to be out for a long time.

I was just gonna have my friend walk me up to my apartment after. I dont think she needs to stay and watch me. I just hate having people in my apartment (its a studio).

Usually IV sedation is given with a medication that causes amnesia, most people who said they felt asleep it’s simply the amnesia. With IV sedation, you can have conscious sedation and deep sedation. The lighter the sedation, the quicker you get back to feeling normal. For getting back to your apartment, don’t expect walking far. Your friend can drive or take a taxi or car share with you, but long distance walking or busing is not a good idea.

I had a tooth extraction followed by bone graft last week with IV conscious sedation. I don’t remember a bit of the treatment. Between waking up and me being fully aware, there are bits I remember and others I don’t. I remember they mentioned it was nice they can bring the portable payment machine instead of having me pay at the front, but I don’t remember holding the machine and paying. I remember leaving the office to get in the car and when we were getting out of the car, but nothing from the actual ride. Once at my place, I took a power nap and after waking up I would say that I was aware at that point. They recommend not sleeping too much to avoid interactions with your sleeping that night.

And now it seems like my tooth abscess is getting worse. Im freaking out a little thinking its never gonna go away even when the tooth is pulled…like im gonna end up in the hospital.
They pull most of the infection out with your tooth. After, it’s your immune system that will clean out the rest.

Im 13 days out from my tooth extraction (and possible bone graft) via IV sedation. My nerves keep coming and going. Right now Im scared I just wont wake up. I know they will monitor me and have me hooked up to machines but Im still fairly anxious about it. I wish I could do it all via local but my gag reflex is strong since the tooth is a back molar (#18).
With IV sedation you can have conscious sedation. In that case, noise or light poking will wake up if you ever fall asleep.
The other option is deep sedation. In that case, shaking you will wake you up, if you fall asleep.
My anesthesiologist said that with a tooth extraction and conscious sedation it’s rare that people fall asleep, because of the noise.

Usually IV sedation is given with a medication that causes amnesia, most people who said they felt asleep it’s simply the amnesia. With IV sedation, you can have conscious sedation and deep sedation. The lighter the sedation, the quicker you get back to feeling normal. For getting back to your apartment, don’t expect walking far. Your friend can drive or take a taxi or car share with you, but long distance walking or busing is not a good idea.

I had a tooth extraction followed by bone graft last week with IV conscious sedation. I don’t remember a bit of the treatment. Between waking up and me being fully aware, there are bits I remember and others I don’t. I remember they mentioned it was nice they can bring the portable payment machine instead of having me pay at the front, but I don’t remember holding the machine and paying. I remember leaving the office to get in the car and when we were getting out of the car, but nothing from the actual ride. Once at my place, I took a power nap and after waking up I would say that I was aware at that point. They recommend not sleeping too much to avoid interactions with your sleeping that night.
Ooh conscious vs deep sedation makes sense. The amnesia drug too. My friend is driving me to and from the appt. Its only like a 10 min drive each way and i live on the second floor in my building so i should be ok with that. I dont plan on walking anywhere that day!

With IV sedation you can have conscious sedation. In that case, noise or light poking will wake up if you ever fall asleep.
The other option is deep sedation. In that case, shaking you will wake you up, if you fall asleep.
My anesthesiologist said that with a tooth extraction and conscious sedation it’s rare that people fall asleep, because of the noise.
Got it. I think i remember the oral surgeon saying the drug they use is very light. The only reason im doing the IV sedation is because I gagged hard when the periodontist (aggressively) tried to give me local. He was so awful about that I decided i should just get the sedation.

So to clarify- youre awake during the IV sedation but just in a really relaxed state. The amnesia meds just make u forget everything.

Why do they make you fast though if youre still awake?

Hi Kalyse, can't help with the fasting question, but it seems to me that an article about what IV sedation is in the first place may be helpful for you. If you haven't seen this before, here is our page on IV sedation. It is pretty extensive and explains a lot of things, particularly about whether you are awake or not:

According to the documentation I received, it’s because of the rare potential complication of aspiration of stomach acid or contents. If you fast, they say the risk is highly reduced, yet it’s not zero.

Hi Kalyse, can't help with the fasting question, but it seems to me that an article about what IV sedation is in the first place may be helpful for you. If you haven't seen this before, here is our page on IV sedation. It is pretty extensive and explains a lot of things, particularly about whether you are awake or not:

Ooh that helped a lot. Thanks!

8 more days. ???. Im really ready for this tooth to come out. Im still fairly anxious about the IV sedation and how ill feel after. Im just so nervous about passing out like i did when i got my wisdom teeth out.

Exactly one more week.
Late last night I developed an eye twitch on my left eye. Its the same side with the tooth that needs to be extracted. And same side as the cheek twitch. The cheek twitch isnt that bad anymore and only twitches when i smile. Im kinda freaking out and thinking theyre connected or a sign of something worse…but The eye twitch could just be sinus related bc I usually have sinus issues on that side. The cheek twitch I think maybe from one of these upper molars that have cavities that need to be filled. Im hoping the extraction solves all my problems. I definitely have some slight/occasional numbness/tingling on that side of my jaw too but thats definitely the tooth that needs to be extracted.

Trying not to go through the catastrophic thinking of assuming the worst…

Eye twitch is gone, thank God.
Extraction day is getting closer and my stomach is in knots. Im still so worried about the sedation. When they called to confirm the appt, i was told to bring my inhaler and take a couple puffs before the procedure. That freaked me out. I rarely use my inhaler so why would i need it for the appointment? Maybe these are just extra precautions they take just in case? The procedure itself is very quick so why am i so worried about not being able to breathe?

Sounds to me like they've listened carefully to your fears, and taken a full medical history. They don't want you having a panic or asthma attack on the day, as then they can't resolve your troublesome tooth. I guess they're trying to help you by letting you rule out the fear of a stress-induced asthma attack. If they can take a precaution "just in case" I would take that as a positive thing, and that they really want to make the day as stress-free as they possibly can.

It sound's like you're more worried about the sedation than having your tooth out. Remember it's your choice and on the day, maybe you'll choose to go with just a local? Share your concerns with your practitioner.

Sounds to me like they've listened carefully to your fears, and taken a full medical history. They don't want you having a panic or asthma attack on the day, as then they can't resolve your troublesome tooth. I guess they're trying to help you by letting you rule out the fear of a stress-induced asthma attack. If they can take a precaution "just in case" I would take that as a positive thing, and that they really want to make the day as stress-free as they possibly can.

It sound's like you're more worried about the sedation than having your tooth out. Remember it's your choice and on the day, maybe you'll choose to go with just a local? Share your concerns with your practitioner.

I only have asthma issues in very cold weather and during exercise. Ive never had a stress induced one…though i suppose theres a first time for everything.
I really would prefer local but I gagged HARD when a periodontist tried to apply lidocaine w a qtip (he had fat fingers and like shoved them in my mouth with the qtip). He was really awful and mean about it and said i need to be sedated. He even refused to give me laughing gas when i requested it and said it wouldnt help with gagging ?. I had a root canal on an upper molar with zero issues. I have a female dentist and shes really gental and has been able to touch my back molars with no problem. She just cant pull the molar bc theres so much bone loss and something about the facial nerve…??‍♀️

I guess ill just talk to the oral surgeon on tuesday and see what he says.

Back