• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

more implant questions because it's happening soon

• Thread starter tigerstripedred
  • Start date
tigerstripedred

tigerstripedred

ok sooo my dentist said i had plenty of bone according to the scan...can they tell quality of the bone from the 3d scan or could there be a terrible surprise when they slice open my gums??

also seriously how will i know if it's healing normally version my holistic choices are working and i dont need the awful antibiotics they want me to take.

running distance wont hurt? I'm so scared my face is going to swell and bruise horribly.

would the drilling for th implant cause my other teeth to be loose like they can be when a tooth is pulled? good the vibrations kill a tooth? i'm so scared something else will die in the process. how often does that happen?
Are my gums healthy enough even though i have recessions around the crowns i have...no one ever mentioned any of this. Am i ruining my whole face choosing to do this?

Last edited:
I've have an implant so I feel like I can answer a lot of your questions.

1. If the bone was no good, they wouldn't say 'lets do the surgery'. You can ask about the health of the bone, but trust the doctor. If the implant wouldn't work they wouldn't say 'lets do it'.

2. Ask the doctor how healing normally looks. What I saw was the the gums looked angry and red, then settled down around the 'drywall screw' and turned pink.

3. You can continue your holistic choices (just let your doctor know what you are using!) but you have to do the antibiotics. There's just no essential oil that can do what that antibiotic can. With something as important as your implant failing or succeeding, you have got to trust the doctors with 8 years of medical school and many more years doing implants on what antibiotics you need to take afterwards. I have found that in order to have the best healing time and best result- listen to the doctor. You can discuss antibiotic choices with them, but if they say you need it, you need it. I took them after both surgeries and had no problems or side effects.

4. As for the swelling part, the face doesn't swell as much. I would suggest taking it easy on running until the gums heal up. I took a nap each day for 4 days afterwards and it helped considerably. Also, the implant surgery was a cakewalk compared to the extraction surgery, not that the extraction was the worst thing ever.

5. I noticed no tooth lose afterwards. the drill doesn't touch the other teeth, so it shouldn't. If you notice something off, tell the doctor. Also, my teeth did not 'die' or anything like that. It's not like they take a normal drill from a hardware store, it's specifically for implants. You can ask the doctor about your other teeth. I noticed nothing happened to my other teeth at all.

6. if you have concerns about your other crowns and the implant, ask your doctor if it's OK. To be totally honest, I don't regret my choice to have the implant done. At all. I love my implant. If you're concerned, ask the doctor about the long term of the implant.

Good luck!

Thank you for your response!
i'll have the antibiotic filled and waiting but as far as taking something just in case it's not worth the side effects for me. This guy just prescribes them for everyone. I ran into to a few that were never given any at the time of implant for a single tooth.
And being totally honest i would only end up taking 3 days of the crap before i got frustrated with the side effects. Let's just hope he goes for amoxicillin that's the only one i will even entertain after my past experience with the others

if infection begins despite my supliments then i'll take the pills. oddly enough they are having success with oils and herbs killing off anyibiotic resist bacteria.
also my dentist also said i'd probably be ok without them butbis reluctant to reiterate that in front of some staff.

Last edited:
one other question about how long before your gums started to look healed?

depends on surgical technique from a couple of days to 2 weeks+

thanks comfort dentist let's hope i can at least tell they are improving quickly. I was less scared over my wisdom teeth. :( I am sure the fact that i work nights and don't sleep well is going to make healing terrible

I would say that my gums returned to normal in about a week and a half. It seemed so speedy compared to the extraction.

I would not suggest stopping antibiotics once taking them. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist about the possible side effects and the risks and benefits. I also saw you mentioned 'oddly enough they are having success with oils and herbs killing off antibiotic resist bacteria.'. Are the studies conducted concerning regular flus/colds/infections or with this situation, being dental surgery? I would be really cautious depending on only essential oils for this dental surgery, because I don't know how infections start and how it could possibly affect the success of the implant. Generally what I have noticed is people taking essential oils for colds/flus etc. In any case, talk to your doctor. Good luck!

no i am not talking about cold and flu.

Again these antibiotics are preventative not because there is an infection. if an infection begins despite my approach then i guess im doomed to take the antibiotics. i never took any for my wisdoms and was fine and yes they did the same thing preventative antibiotics...they are still in my cabinet.
i know what the side effects are of amoxicillin i have dealt with them in the past and do not wish to do so unless an infection occurs.
at least this gets stitched closed unlike wisdoms...and i think salt water and oul pulling would be able to start next day.
i will be too scated to eat so no food worries and my olive leaf and oregano oil are capsules

There are many dentists out there that don't whimsically prescribe antibiotics for the basic single implant anyway but being a corp office and pill happy this one does for every root canal and implant.

i have talked to my dentist originally her response was iwould likely be fine without taking them...but depending on what person is in the room with her it changes aka his implant assistants.

no one mentioned any medications or mouth washes upon arrival but i keep reading about these things. clearly they have not given me anything to pick up and as my appointment is only 1.5 hours and everything i've read says an hour before start...are they not giving me anything? i mean it"s a regular office no pharmacy so i'd have to get it myself right?

I'm sorry i just really really not a fan of unknowns when it comes to what is going to happen to my body
And I'm so very scared that it isn't going to be as simple as they claimed or that i will be one that ends up with nerve issues despite that awful 3d scan. I wish the dr doing the implant had come in and given me a rindown of his plan when i was there a week and a half ago.

"I wish the dr doing the implant had come in and given me a rindown of his plan when i was there a week and a half ago."
So it is clear to me that this office isn't geared to treating anxious patients because all anxious patients and most humans prefer to meet the person who is going to operate on them in advance of the operation. Even in anesthesia the saying is the best preo-op is a good meeting with the patient.

As to your case it sounds like your bone is very good and almost every implant problem is because the bone is bad.

Thanks yeah...i know the dentist that is doing the implant...he's done 2 root canals already and they did make sure i met or remembered the second implant team assistant. I think i just kind of wanted to hear his plan. i'm pretty sure he hates me anyway :/ although that being said i'm always the perfect patient in the chair or have been. i tend to freeze.

i am also worried they are very pushy about course of antibiotics after every implant ...

i'm scared that i'm making the wrong decision there too just because i don't trust myself. theybare so setvin their standards i cant really discuss it with them.

hey comfort dentist how do you disinfect the area when you are about to start an implant :/ Would they have told me if they planned on front loading antibiotics at arrival? they won't make me take steriods too will they?

When can i run? I run long distance and do high impact jumping and tumbling...can i do that? i just read something that said you cant the whole 4 months.

ami suppose to floss the healing cap?

well friday is coming I guess im flying blind. and perfect i am having a allergy issue or something hope it goes away by friday or im going to be feeling like im suffocating on drainage and wanting to cough.

Tiger, listen, you can do this. I know you can :XXLhug:

Go on Friday, ask them your questions before you start, I'm sure they will give you answers on many things. Remember that your head has a tendency to always jump to the worst possible case, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

Most of all, try to remember that they are on your side. Really. They are not out to harm you, they are there to help you. They do *not* hate you. I know it's hard to see it when you're stuck in the middle of it, I really do x

Good luck Tiger.

well it's done...i'm not dead yet. amusing the 3d scanner wouldn't work when they put me in there so they had to do regular ones to see the angle and stuff.
no scripts given. I'm not goid at this laying around stuff.

and a stitch came out..is that supposed to happen so soon :/

Back