• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mouth guard question

Judythecat

Judythecat

Hi, this is probably a question for @Gordon since he’s in Scotland, and I know our system is a bit different. (Sorry for always asking questions!)

I wear a rigid lower guard for clenching, and tonight have realised it’s starting to disintegrate - it’s probably my own fault as I used anti-bac spray on it after having a rotten cold. It looks like it’s in two layers of hard silicon type stuff, and they are starting to separate. In terms of replacing it, I wondered, will there be a mould somewhere that it can just be recreated from? Or will I need to do new impressions? I know I have needed approval from the local health board previously to get it at NHS cost, but I’m more concerned about time and it falling to bits and me being without it than money.

I have a checkup and scale and polish at the end of next month, but I can ring and see if they can see me sooner if that’s best? I am scared of being left without it and knackering more teeth!

It's up to the dentist whether they kept the casts from your impressions or not, some do, some don't, there's no requirement to keep them. In terms of the time taken to make another mouth guard, having the models won't make a lot of difference, the only real benefit is not having to take the impressions again.

It's up to the dentist whether they kept the casts from your impressions or not, some do, some don't, there's no requirement to keep them. In terms of the time taken to make another mouth guard, having the models won't make a lot of difference, the only real benefit is not having to take the impressions again.

Thanks for replying. I realised after I posted this that my dentist obviously doesn’t keep moulds, as I actually had to go back for more impressions when they went missing en route to the lab! Hopefully it can hang together until my checkup at the end of April...

Back