• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

Mouth sores after perm crown?

L

leilani

A few weeks ago I had 2 temp crowns, both right molars, one top and one bottom. I had pain from both right away afterwards but the pain would alternate from one to the other. Sometimes the pain would come from the top teeth next to the crowned tooth. The pain was so bad at work one day I left early and went straight to the dentist. When I got there, the pain subsided and after some knocking and poking, could not identify the source or which crown might be the problem. He assumed the lower molar because of the deep decay and most of the pain seemed to come from there. We scheduled a root canal for 4 days later.

When I went in for the root canal, I had explained that I was taking less and less pain killers and it seemed the pain was slowly diminishing but still bad enough I needed Advil almost everyday. We decided to just put on the permanent crowns since again, no issues with the temp crowns when he did the knocking and poking. I was relieved not to have to have the root canal.

The next day I came down with influenza a and b. My mouth was on fire again, I was back to taking pain meds for my fever and my mouth. I've been eating soft food and chewing on the left side only for about a month now. I've lost 15 pounds. Today, before going back to the urgent care clinic, I felt along my inner gumline along the top teeth and my top crown. There is pain like I ate a sharp Doritos chip and it got jammed inbetween my tooth and gum (has this ever happened? You know that feeling then, right?). I looked with a mirror and the roof of my mouth, following the gumline of my back 3 top molars, there are a row of red dots. They are not raised but sore.

I have a zirconia crown. Could this be allergic reaction? Is this from malnutrition? Any ideas what this is from? I went 16 hours without pain meds today which seemed to be an improvement but should I still be having pain from these crowns? Why is it so hard for dentists to pinpoint the source of the pain? You would think they would have advanced xray machines that could detect inflamed nerves/pulp. I'm so frustrated!

L

lizjackchris

I also get sores when I have crowns prepared. Are they like the small pin point dots that eventually coalesce into a larger sore? They may be intraoral herpes. They are viral coming from the trigeminal nerve, I believe. They will heal on their own or you can get a prescription for an antiviral called valtrex. This is what we have here in Canada. I also came down with strep throat after the crowns similar to you coming down with influenza. I think these sores come out when the gum tissue is disturbed and your body gets run down.

Last edited:
AngelCatMei

AngelCatMei

I also get sores when I have crowns prepared. Are they like the small pin point dots that eventually coalesce into a larger sore? They may be intraoral herpes. They are viral coming from the trigeminal nerve, I believe. They will heal on their own or you can get a prescription for an antiviral called valtrex. This is what we have here in Canada. I also came down with strep throat after the crowns similar to you coming down with influenza. I think these sores come out when the gum tissue is disturbed and your body gets run down.
Finally found someone who get the same symptoms as me! 😭 Whenever I told lots of dentist that I get cold sore/herpes type 1 on my gum occasionally, they look at me with at question mark expression and proceed to mention that cold sore can only appears on lips. Which is not true. I do get it around my nose and there's was once in my nose too. It started out as water blister occasionally or I just woke up with a cluster of small red dots on my gum. It hurts when I brush it and it will bleed too. After a day or so, the red spots will turn into white spots and eventually disappear after about a week or so.

I searched it up online, there's lots of people who only get it on their lips, there's little information about it on the gum but Colgate did post something about herpes on gum article before. Most dentist over at my country actually don't know what is cold sore, they will always say "I'll check that out" after I told them about it.

I will always get cold sore if I have some dental work done that involves the gum. I just had my dental crown procedure done too 3 days back, yesterday night, I felt a water blister on my upper inner gum, I looked into the mirror and I thought, "oh shit, is my tooth abscess?". I was going to call the dentist this morning and was prepared to get my tooth extracted, after all, it's a root canal tooth that was prepped for zirconia crown.

I woke up today the blister is gone but I still feel a tiny bump with my tongue, there's multiple red cluster spots that's appearing, the gum is sore and tingling too.