• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

mouth ulcers

L

littlestar88

Hi

I've had a few mouth ulcers recently, mainly because Ive been a bit run down and had a cold. on there own there ok but i keep getting myself in a stress that its my teeth that are hurting them and cant stop poking them which is making them worse. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? What can I do to stop them happening in the first place? Like I say, there not such a problem on their own but I'm obviously not as over my phobia as I thought and the idea that something could be going wrong in my mouth sends me into a panic.

also, because I keep poking at the ulcers with my tounge i think im making my teeth on one side ache. It only happened when i brushed the teeth and they felt a bit like when you poke a bruise. It started a bit last night and was gone by this morning, probably because i wasnt poking about!

i had a trip to the hygenist 5 weeks ago and she said everything looked fine. i don't have any fillings to have gone wrong...how likely is this that it is an unrelated tootache?...rather than a result of me quite forecefully rubbing my tounge over the inside of my cheek? I'm getting very scared I'm going to need fillings or something...i guess im not as over my phobia as i had hoped

Last edited:
Mouth ulcers can be caused by a lot of things. One of the most common things of course, is stress, but also Vit B12 deficiency, folic acid deficiency, Iron deficiency and anaemia.

You could try increasing your folic acid intake by eating plenty of legume vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower etc. Especially good in soups so that you don't pour out all the vitamins with the cooking water :)

Ulcers can be miserable things, normally they last 7-10 days and there isn't any really effective treatment for them.

One of the weirdest ulcer cases I had to deal with was a lady who had only started to get them after she'd retired from a very high stress job. She was one of these unusual people who actually NEEDED stress in her life to be healthy. When she had a stressful situation at home, such as when her husband took ill, then the ulcers got better, when things settled down, they came back!

Wow! I didnt realise iron defficiancy could be the cause. I wnt to the doctor the other day because my hair has started falling out and he suggested it was a combination of iron deficiecy and stress! So I guess thats causeing the mouth ulcers too! I'll start taking multivitamins again and hopefully the stress will sort itself out when i get my dissertation in on Thursday!

For now i find i dont poke my gums and make them sore as long as I keep eating...going to get me some more pancakes! Thank you and Happy pancake day!;D

At least in Finland there isn't usually iron in multivitamines. Iron tablets are a different thing.

A combination of stress and some other factor can cause most weird symptoms. I have experience about this too!

Well the ulcers seem to be going! yay! just wanted to add that the vitamins i have are specific for vegetarians so they contain iron. i do think that you can get all the vitamins you need from a balanced diet - i just choose not to eat one! And yeah - drinking camomile tea lots too!

Back