• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

mouthwashes and gingel

G

Former Member
Hello,

I was told by the dentist to use a chlorhexidine mouthwash for two weeks, I've been doing that but I've also seen a sort of mouthwash about called Gingel (Gingigel? Something like that). It says it contains hyaluronic acid that the gums naturally contain and so it can help them heal. I was wondering if I used this too would it help my gums become less red or would it interfere with the other stuff I'm doing. Has anyone else used it and is it any good?

Thanks very much,

Faye

As far as I can see, while hyaluronic acid has a track-record for wound-healing, not an awful lot of research has been done regarding its effects on gum problems. What little research there is seems somewhat inconclusive at present.

Chlorhexidine on the other hand has a proven track record and is very effective. So I would say stick to the chlorhexidine alone, just in case Gingigel does interfere with it.

That's just my best guess :)!