• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mouthwashes

C

cricket0148

As I have stated when I first joined here, i have really really bad teeth with a total of maybe 7 remaining and the rest broken at gum line or gone. I do brush every day, wish i would have done done this earlier in life, but it is what it is. My question is what is the best mouthwash for me to use? I have been reading how the alcohol free ones are recommended but really dense on what to buy.

hi I'm not sure what is best mouthwash out there, but people are recommending alcohol free mouthwash to those who gotten extraction. alcohol is not good for healing gums after extraction. that's what I think. I think you should ask dentist what mouthwash to use. depend on your mouth and teeth condition some can be good and some can be bad.

Alcohol in mouthwashes can also cause dry mouth which creates a better environment for decay. This is the reason to use a mouthwash without alcohol.

I know its too late for me to worry about because i eventually need dentures top and bottom, but should i use a an antibacterial mouth wash or would regular Crest Complete work?

The bad thing about Listerine is that while it is killing the bad bacteria, it is also killing off the GOOD bacteria that you want/need in your mouth, dry out your mouth (which can cause damage to your gums and teeth), it can damage living cells, and can increase your chance of having oral cancer. I was religious about using Listerine as my mouth wash, but my dentist told me to avoid all mouth washes with alcohol since I get such bad dry mouth at times.

I recommend looking for a mouth wash that includes fluoride, xyitol, and zinc in it. All of those help to strengthen teeth - some swear it will help repair small amounts of damage to your teeth but I'm not sure about that.

The ones I'm currently using are Biotene Oral Rinse and Therabreath Mouthwash (the Blue one which tastes like water and baking soda, and the green one - this is really minty).

You might want to research or talk to your dentist about which mouth wash would be the best for your, especially when you get dentures.

Back