• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Much Danger Of Not Taking Antibiotics After Ext ration?

D

DarrenH

I had my upper right molar removed yesterday, the tooth directly in front of the wisdom tooth

I have very long roots to my teeth and was told they would have definitely been in my sinus, for this reason the dentist prescribed a light 5 day course of antibiotics

I haven't needed to take antibiotics for about.. 11 years, seen I was a teen, I never really get that ill luckily, but I do remember I used to feel very sick on them though.

I'm worry If I take the antibiotics they will make me sick and I don't think throwing up would be good for the extraction site in the first few days of healing which are obviously the most important..

I had a bottom molar out a month ago with no antibiotics and that has healed up nicely with no problems and without need for antibiotics, I'm a pretty healthy 25 year old man.

Am I risking a real danger by not taking them? or should I be ok, the dentist said it was precautionary rather than anything else.

You may be okay, but if you do have to take them, have some pro-biotic drink with them, or any dairy product, my sister also was told by her dentist to drink some diet cocoa cola with it as well as using some of these things, they counter act the effects of the antibiotics. They prevent you being sick or feeling sick and my sister has a really bad stomach and cannot tolerate the dental antibiotics, but these things worked for her.:)

I would take them and with a big meal then it will just be part of the digestion process.

Thanks for the replies

I'm just going to to trust my body and risk not taking them I think.. all though I've looked up the symptoms of sinus infection and if I get any of them I will start taking them with the advise of taking them with a meal and maybe some milk.

Its been 48 hours since the extraction now and as of yet I think I'm ok, hopefully I stay that way.

Back