• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Multiple extractions- I have questions

R

Rusty213

I had 8 teeth/roots pulled out on Monday. It was not pleasant. Took lots of shots to numb me (over 12). I swelled up so much in the office they couldn't get the temp denture in. Anyway I am at day 4 and the pain is ok, but I have noticed a hard lump on my gum where there is a lot of stitches and a little swelling now. I am a little worried about get an infection or abscess. I have been on an antibiotic since Monday. And I can only take Tylenol for pain. The stitches are pulling and I am noticing some sores on my cheek. I think the stitches are irritating my cheek. When should I call the dentist? They are closed right now.

I would call them ASAP or leave a message if they have voicemail. If your condition is really bad, see if you can contact an emergency dentist. Can you take ibuprofen (e.g., Advil)? That's what I take for any ache or pain. If you have any wax (like they use for orthodontic procedures), try putting it onto the stitches. I'd also suggest buying over-the-counter numbing gel or spray for the time being.

Thank you for answering me.....

I am going in to see them on Saturday... There are two lumps now but one has gone down and there is a sore on the other one. I am not sure if it has always been like that because yesterday was the first day there was no big swelling over there and my tongue can actually fit over there.. I am not in pain. Just an occasional throb or two. But I feel that all along my gums where the stitches are...

Thank you for answering me.....

I am going in to see them on Saturday... There are two lumps now but one has gone down and there is a sore on the other one. I am not sure if it has always been like that because yesterday was the first day there was no big swelling over there and my tongue can actually fit over there.. I am not in pain. Just an occasional throb or two. But I feel that all along my gums where the stitches are...

Hang in there; you're doing great! That's awesome you're not experiencing that much pain, so it sounds like it's healing. Once I had my wisdom teeth removed and had stitches there, but I don't remember them bothering my gums or cheeks. I think they dissolved on their own, but I don't remember exactly. Before that, when I had braces and they irritated my mouth, my orthodontist gave free packets of wax pieces that could be broken off in the sizes I needed to mold and place onto the specific brackets causing irritation. Perhaps your dentist can offer the same solution. If not, maybe you could use some gauze or a small rag to cushion the area and block the discomfort for the time being. Let us know how it all goes. God bless.

When I woke up this morning the lumps were gone from the side of my gum... There is a couple of sore spots but I know they are from the injection sites... I had so many of them, that I have sores all over my mouth. I called the dentist and they weren't worried about an abscess or anything. I go back on Monday for my post-op visit. I hope they can do something for my denture. I NEED teeth.... I remember the wax from my braces days.. The stitches are starting to dissolve so hopefully the irritation from them will stop soon. And the injection sites will heal up... :)

You are doing good Rusty:)
I found the injection sites were the most painfull and the teeth next to the extraction sites hurt like mad but the actual extraction sockets were fine, I looked at it as it took ages for me to get myself in this predicament so I can't really expect a quick trip out of it my total journey from my first extractions to my more permanent dentures has been a year. One year out of the 46 I have been here is nothing Well done for getting the treatment you need it will all settle soon xx good luck and happy healing xx
D.J:whirl:

Back