• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Multiple Extractions - what to expect?!

K

Kat1025

I have just booked in to have teeth extracted in two weeks time. I have to have 7 teeth (that are very broken and can’t be fixed) extracted plus all 4 wisdom teeth. I’m having it done under general anaesthetic. But I’m still terrified.

Does anyone have any experience with multiple extractions? What should I expect after surgery?

They are mostly all at the back of my mouth, but one is on the side and you can see it if I smile properly. I’m worried about having to go weeks without begging able to smile before I can get a partial denture.

I would really appreciate any advice ❤️

Anything particular you want to know?

Kat1025

First of all, Great job on a courageous act of scheduling this to get done. This is a huge step . I know myself I always get nervous for General before hand then I go in and everything goes so smooth and I wake up like nothing happened.. Now with teeth being pulled. and I've had 6 pulled before when 16 and then I had 5 pulled when I was about 30. Its a healing process. Give yourself some resting time after. A nap is the best or many naps the first few days. to give you body the strength and energy it needs. Much of the time they give you an immediate denture. or very soon after anyways. Did they tell you it would be weeks? maybe you could ask for an immeidate? not sure if they can do in all cases but it might be worth it to ask.

I have just booked in to have teeth extracted in two weeks time. I have to have 7 teeth (that are very broken and can’t be fixed) extracted plus all 4 wisdom teeth. I’m having it done under general anaesthetic. But I’m still terrified.

Does anyone have any experience with multiple extractions? What should I expect after surgery?

They are mostly all at the back of my mouth, but one is on the side and you can see it if I smile properly. I’m worried about having to go weeks without begging able to smile before I can get a partial denture.

I would really appreciate any advice ❤️
Hi,

Your treatment means a big change in your mouth so you will have to get used to it with eating talking and as you mentioned-smiling.
I assume that very “naughty” teeth are to be extracted so you should feel improvement once the postoperative pain (there are ways to lessen that pain) is over.
Regarding the esthetic issue: did you dentist mention immediate temporary denture?

hi kat,

i had 15 extracted and some bone grafting last year, but not under general. i was given a long lasting local and i was numb for almost 12 hours. once it started to wear off, i had surprisingly little to no pain, but i was instructed to start taking 800 mg of ibuprofen before the numbness went away (i was also told to take ibuprofen right before the extractions so that it was in my system). my dentist said i might have bruising or swelling but i didn't, but again i was pretty good about taking my ibuprofen after the extractions. i was given stitches and liquid sutures so i had minimal bleeding, but i did ooze a little into the next day or so.

i agree w/ krlovesherkids on the napping! i never had any real pain but i was really tired the first couple days, whether it was from stressing out about the procedure or the antibiotics or the actual healing.

i did have immediate partials since most of my extractions were in the front, and eating with them took a little getting used to. i ate pudding, mashed potatoes, sorbet, etc for a few days and then moved on to things like tofu or mac 'n cheese. my gums did feel pretty tender if i tried to push my luck and eat something too hard/chewy, so i sort of used that as a gauge. a lot of it was probably psychological too, b/c i just felt like a big open wound after that many extractions (my dentist assured me i wasn't :)

good luck to you, and may the next 2 weeks go by quickly and your extractions over and done with! sometimes waiting and trying not to stress about it is the hardest!

Hi,

Your treatment means a big change in your mouth so you will have to get used to it with eating talking and as you mentioned-smiling.
I assume that very “naughty” teeth are to be extracted so you should feel improvement once the postoperative pain (there are ways to lessen that pain) is over.
Regarding the esthetic issue: did you dentist mention immediate temporary denture?
Thank you for your reply. My dentist hasn’t mentioned any immediate dentures. He wanted to get rid of the bad teeth and then reevaluate from there. I hope we can talk about dentures soon, I really would like to get them as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your replies, tips and personal stories. Tomorrow is the day. I’m still terrified but ready to get this over with and move forward.
Hopefully I can talk to my dentist about partials ASAP!

Back