• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Multiple extractions with novocaine, and getting home alone

N

nonesuch

Apologies if this question has been asked before, and/or if this is the wrong place for it. I'm new here, and in a couple of weeks, I'm having 5 teeth extracted. I've asked to have this done under novocaine only (thanks to this site, I'm feeling a lot better about that decision ...). Afterwards, I have to get myself home on my own, which probably means a taxi. Will I be okay to do this, or should I try to find someone to accompany me? I have a lot of anxiety about getting home and the recovery period, and anything you can do to fill in the blanks for me would be so, so appreciated.

Novocaine is a local anasthetic so it shouldn't impair you mentally. A taxi seems like a good idea. You'll still be numb at that point, so you shouldn't be in pain.

How many teeth are you having removed? As the novocaine wears off, it'll probably feel a bit...prickly? It's not painful as such, more just annoying. It's a good idea to take painkillers, anti-imflammatories like ibuprofen especially, before it wears off. This will keep the swelling down a bit and take the edge off any pain. Though when I last had teeth removed (all of them!) I wasn't in pain so much as just tender. My advice would be to go home and take it easy. Rest up and stick to liquid foods. Stick to gentle saltwater rinses for your mouth. Be gentle with yourself until it goes back to normal. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

The location of the teeth to be extracted may make a difference if novocaine is being used. Some dentists don't like to numb both sides of the mouth at the same time, because it makes it more difficult not to bite your cheek or tongue. If you haven't talked about this with your dentist, it would be wise to do so. I can't tell from your post if you made your decision with consultation or completely on your own.

I have no problem driving before the novocaine wears off. If you're really anxious, though, a taxi or a ride from a friend would be a good idea - perhaps to get you to the dentist as well as back home.

Thanks for your support in this. I had my surgery two days ago (Thursday morning). I was a little freaked out to discover that a resident was going to be doing the surgery alone, but she was a fearless and skilled pro (and cute, which helps). She ended up pulling six teeth total - the original five, and a top wisdom tooth (#16) that was loose. She recommended the removal of #16, saying that I'd lose it pretty soon anyway, and I agreed.

I've been trying to stay upbeat during recovery, and not give in to the million little paranoid fears that arise after something like this (omg is that dry socket? omg is that an infection? omg why are my ears ringing?). This forum has been a huge, huge help.

My next battle is figuring out replacement teeth - of course, the dentist and oral surgeon both recommend implants, but I'd end up living under a bridge if I got them. In any case, one step at a time. I put this surgery off for almost twenty years, and while I wish I'd done it sooner, I'm starting to feel proud of myself for doing it at all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Oh, also, in reply to the original reason I started this thread - I was quite capable of getting myself home on my own. The novocaine shots were probably the worst of it, especially the ones in the roof of my mouth. The teeth themselves came out pretty easily, with the exception of one. I got stitches in two places (upper left side and lower left side) and have two extraction points besides those. When I left it was raining like crazy, and hailing a cab was difficult - so I got my meds and took the train home. It really wasn't a problem.

Congratulations on making it through!

There's plenty of time for your next step. First, take some time to see how you manage with the teeth you have left. It may not be as difficult as you think to live with the gaps. I would bet only a couple, at most, would be problematic. I doubt you'll miss the wisdom tooth.

You can certainly get only one implant at a time - in the most troublesome gaps - as your budget allows. It doesn't have to be all done tomorrow.

I guess cute dental professionals can help the medicine go down, so to speak - if they don't turn out to be Conan the Tootharian. I'd never pursue one though - she'd cringe at the sight of the inside of my mouth! ;D

OMG I totally get the paranoid thing after getting teeth pulled. I had an extraction of a non-wisdom molar and the 3 days afterwards I was paranoid and nerve wracked, especially when I thought I was getting dry socket....which I never got (thank god!).

Happy to hear your extractions went well

Also, along with the extraction I had the implant put in months later. The surgery to get the implant was a cakewalk compared to the extraction. I'll have to let you know how the crown on the implant goes.

So, just checking in. Thanks again for everyone's feedback and support. I spent a lot of my adult life in poverty, and couldn't afford to take care of my teeth - once I was making decent money, I was afraid. I have to have my remaining wisdom tooth extracted (which doesn't seem like a big deal now), a bunch of cavities filled, another root canal, and (on the dentist's recommendation) a bridge to fill a gap and an implant to complete the bite on the left side. It's an ongoing process.

In the meantime, my girlfriend of three years left me over this. I was, of course, hiding this from everyone because I was embarrassed and ashamed. When I finally decided to do something about it, she was shocked by how long I'd been living with it and felt she couldn't be with someone who didn't take care of himself. Of course, this has only deepened my embarrassment and shame. It's been a really painful few months, and I'm taking the rest of the year to just focus on getting well (in more ways than one).

I realize this post is kind of off-topic, but I just wanted to share it with someone.

Well, you know, that's on your girlfriend, not you. Maybe it is important to her to have someone who "takes care of themselves", but come on! We all make mistakes. We all slip up. And when you're living in poverty, it can be next to impossible to do all that you need to (not just teeth, but in other aspects too!).

Part of a relationship is accepting that things can't always be perfect, and providing support when they are not. So I don't know your girlfriend, but it doesn't sound like she would be good for anyone in the long-term! I can't imagine leaving someone over something like this. And when I had all my treatment done (which took a year, and was a miserable process), my partner supported me, and went with me to appointments.

You deserve someone who would support you and make you feel better, not worse. You shouldn't be ashamed. You're only human, not a robot.

Have a big hug from me :hug4: It's good that you're taking some time to take care of yourself.

Thanks for sharing your story. I have my own worries about how teeth and the long term process of getting them fixed will affect future partnership possibilities. It defies logic to me that someone would accuse someone who has finally started taking care of them self of not taking care of them self!

Back