• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Multiple teeth extractions, general anaesthesia and Parkinson’s

U

uvmmom05

I am a 62 y.o. female who has been petrified of dentists my whole life, thus now needing to have all teeth extracted and immediate dentures placed. I have found a dentist who is very gentle and an oral surgeon who will be doing the procedure under general anesthesia. My problem is that I also have parkinsons and kidney disease and have read that sometimes general anesthesia can be detrimental to parkinsons. Does:confused: anybody out there have parkinsons and undergone this procedure? If so, I would like to hear. Also, how were you able to take medication with the dentures. I am on a fairly decent amount of meds and am worried about beiing able to swallow. Thank you for any advicce.

Checked this out with my son the anaesthetist (anaesthesiologist in US). There's no particular issue with GA and PD, the only thing he'd be slightly concerned about would be if there was some nausea afterwards which might interfere with your PD meds, but these days they're pretty good at controlling the nausea.

There's no big issue with swallowing with dentures. Chewing is a problem in the early days, but swallowing meds isn't going to be a problem.

Back