• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My biggest fear

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
What is your biggest fear? Multiple choices allowed!

i could have checked off almost every one of those boxes, but recently i would have to say my #1 fear would be having other teeth break while i am there. everytime i have had dental work done, another tooth breaks while i am there. with the first extraction i had, i understood this, and they had me sign a paper and everything saying that may happen, so it wasn't too awful. although i WASN'T happy about it. but since then i have had two teeth broken that weren't even causing me a problem at the time. the one time it happend i was getting a root canal done and i heard the hygenist say "oops, did i do that" after she wacked it with the suction stick thing. they thought i was more out of it than i really was and they were talking and gabbing about some christmas party when it happened, so i was kind of pissed off about it. they didn't even tell me about it, i noticed in the car on the way home. :mad:
not too happy about that.
and this last time i just had my molar removed and i think he tapped the bicuspid with his drill because there is this perfect little drill size dent/hole on the side of it that wasn't there before i went in.
i have never given the dentist a hard time about it, or even said anything for that matter. somewhat because i know i have weak teeth to begin with. and whats done is done, no need to piss off the doctor by being a "since-you" customer.
i realize i am writing a really long post about a simple question, but that is my worst fear at the moment.

:( My biggest fear is a fear of the drill and having my teeth drilled - i am afraid of the drilling being painful and i find the noise / sound of the drill really unerving i am also afraid of catching my tongue or cheek on the drill. I am also afraid of un sympathetic dentists, i will only go to a female dentist as i find them to be more sympathetic and approachable.

Mine would have to be the needle, the pain I get afterward from the needle, and the rubber damn aka the clamp as I call it. Oh and I appear to be the only one who voted on feeling numb afterward. I hate that feeling... I get panicky and start biting at my lip, I think I am subconsciously trying to get the feeling back quicker. Maybe I am afraid of the small percentage chance of feeling not returning at all.

I think all of mine are sorta connected like a domino effect.
My fears are the sights of the needle, the sounds of the drill, and the pain from either/or both! LOL

all of the above, mostly Gagging..I Just have a panic attack almost as soon as I call the dentist to make the appointment, I almost didnt go to the emergency appointment I had to make, because I was hurting so bad, I was so scared I gagged so bad I almost threw up when they tried to do the xray. What is wrong with me?

Gagging and choking does it for me. When i brush my teeth as soon as i get to the back of my wisdom teeth i gag really bad. My fear is having lots of equipment in my mouth, not being able to swallow and panicking that i'm going to choke.

The roots of my teeth are so long, and they wrap around the nerve. My Dentist wont pull them, he sends me to an Oral Sergon. The last two teeth I had pulled the root tip broke off and had to cut and dig what seemed like forever. I will never ever have another one pulled unless I am put to sleep. I will never be an ex-dontofobia or what ever it's called.

Embarrassment for sure. The last time I went to a dentist he was extremely rude to me.

Pain due to not getting numb. 100% the reason for my phobia. I could care less about the other things on the list.

Probably the lack of control and the pain when they slip or summat. My God. I just freak out every time they do something new to my braces.

From the ages 5-10 I had around five fillings by a sadistic dentist who told me I didn't need any painkiller :scared: at all for cavities in my baby teeth. Then when he filled cavities in my big teeth he convinced me i was a "big boy" and didn't need painkillers for that either. He was drilling around and i could smell, see and feel my burning and torutred teeth and gums. it was excruciating and i was told to keep perfectly still and to keep quiet like a big boy.

I have looked for other occurrences of this, but it doesn't seem to have been nearly as common as I supposed. this was in the late '70's. Does anyone know if this was the norm back then? It always seemed traumatic to me, but later dentists and my parents didn't think anything much of it when I told them about it.

Definetily all of the above..especially the novocaine, and the drill. :censored:

jsalathe said:
From the ages 5-10 I had around five fillings by a sadistic dentist who told me I didn't need any painkiller :scared: at all for cavities in my baby teeth. Then when he filled cavities in my big teeth he convinced me i was a "big boy" and didn't need painkillers for that either. He was drilling around and i could smell, see and feel my burning and torutred teeth and gums. it was excruciating and i was told to keep perfectly still and to keep quiet like a big boy.

I have looked for other occurrences of this, but it doesn't seem to have been nearly as common as I supposed. this was in the late '70's. Does anyone know if this was the norm back then? It always seemed traumatic to me, but later dentists and my parents didn't think anything much of it when I told them about it.

I think I might have had the same dentist! I had a few fillings when I was around seven, without anasthetic, and was told to be a 'Brave girl'. Then a year or so later I wnt for one extraction (with gas) and when I came round, he had pulled five teeth. There was nothing wrong with them - my mother had to complain about him, and ever since then I have been terrified of the same thing happening. The smell of burning when a filling is done mekes me want to pass out.

it happened to me too. Our army dentist in germany only gave an anethetic towards the end, if we were screaming too much, or bit him, mostly in the form of a foul tasting liquid that used to run down the back of your throat and make you gag. The first time I got an Injection, I was so relieved I have NEVER been frightened of them, they are your BEST friend, I would have them for checkups if it were possible. He told my mother I had a genetic abnomality where my teeth had no enamel and filled them all, in a big trough, when my baby teeth went to fall out, they couldn't as they were joined together. He also started to take some of her teeth out for the same reason, but I have few fillings now and my mother is in her 60's with good teeth. I don't think people questioned people in authority so much in those days, and going to the dentist was expected to be painful. Unlike now, where it is mostly painless. Worst bit now, by far is actually getting there, and not obsessing in between. Also in our case we had no choice, it was the army dentist or nothing. We were just unlucky and got a bad one.

For me,it's extreme embarassement. My Gum's aren't in a good state :shame:

Also petrified of Dentist Injections. Oddly don't mind normal injections in my arm - but Dental ones PETRIFIE me. (rather have 20 injections at doctor) !!

Finally lying flat on my back in the Chair. Feeling completely out of control & very vunerable. Feels like i'm being Pinned Down & can't get up :scared:

Scared of everything, i hate two people being in the room, one is bad enough.

Scared of x-rays, although I had one today and must day they have come on since the last one I had. My overcrowded teeth wouldn't fit in the regulation molds they used back in the day, I remember the dental assistant getting really annoyed with me . Today I just had to hold a plastic straw like thing between my front teeth. 1 phobia gone!

Scared of the dentist not telling me what he/she is about to do.

Scared of the dentist telling me what he/she is about to do.

Scared of the chair

Scared of the smell

Scared of needles, fainting, being sick, weeing myself.

Scared of being told I have mouth cancer

Scared of being awake through treatment

Scared of someone looking in my mouth

Scared that all of the dentist staff talk about me and laugh at the state of me.

Scared of not being able to stop mid-treatment

Scared that when I have a tooth extracted the teeth beside it will come out too.

I could go on.......