• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My dental implants failed and I'm worried about all the bone I lost during the surgery and if I caused a serious damage.

H

hereiam

I'm really scared, 3 weeks ago I placed two dental implants, after years and years of living without two teeth which made my life hard: can't eat properly, jaw pain, tmj...I realized that I need to be courageous and get the dental implants, the dentist said I have no risks and encouraged me to do it, so I did it, long story short, from the day I put them on, I became severely sick and the fever never seem to go away despite all the medication, fast forward the dentist decided that we we should remove the dental implant because it's not in the right position and my bone quality is bad. so we removed the first implant (molar) after 2 weeks of putting it which of course involve more drilling of the solid jaw bone :cry: .. then after 4 days we removed the other implant (premolar), he said that the bone resorbed around the implant an some of the bone got infected inside and the implant shifted from its original place and got deeper inside the jaw bone. the dentist found it so hard to remove the implant because it was unstable, it was a long process with so much drilling.
the whole process was painful and traumatic, now my face is swollen and anxiety is so bad, my mouth hurt, and now I wonder if losing so much bone signify that I damaged my mouth... I'm scared.. please help.

What are you scared of specifically, it would make it easier to help.

Comfort dentist on here does a lot of implant work, so hopefully he can help out.

I'm really scared, 3 weeks ago I placed two dental implants, after years and years of living without two teeth which made my life hard: can't eat properly, jaw pain, tmj...I realized that I need to be courageous and get the dental implants, the dentist said I have no risks (Never true) and encouraged me to do it, so I did it, long story short, from the day I put them on, I became severely sick and the fever never seem to go away despite all the medication, fast forward the dentist decided that we we should remove the dental implant because it's not in the right position and my bone quality is bad. (This conflicts with no risks)so we removed the first implant (molar) after 2 weeks of putting it which of course involve more drilling of the solid jaw bone :cry: .. (doesn’t make sense as for the first month at least it is simple to unscrew the implant)then after 4 days we removed the other implant (premolar), he said that the bone resorbed around the implant an some of the bone got infected inside and the implant shifted from its original place and got deeper inside the jaw bone. the dentist found it so hard to remove the implant because it was unstable, it was a long process with so much drilling.
the whole process was painful and traumatic, now my face is swollen and anxiety is so bad, my mouth hurt, and now I wonder if losing so much bone signify that I damaged my mouth... I'm scared.. please help.
Based on the above I would get another opinion.

I would agree that the "no risks" seems wrong. I had to sign a document explaining the risks related to getting an implant and what I can/should do to ensure the best results.

You mentioned you are scared about the lost bone and if there is some serious damage. Going for another opinion could help you. They should be able to evaluate your current situation and tell you what are your options. I have the impression that part of your anxiety is caused by not knowing precisely what is going on. I hope you can find some piece of mind and figure out what is your situation and how to get better.

I saw a patient yesterday that was told that he had to have the implant placed immediately when the tooth was removed. (Not true) but worse still was the extraction proved difficult and so the resulting bone condition wasn’t suitable but the implant was placed anyway. Results is after almost 4 weeks still aching pain. This is consistent with a failed implant.
Don’t get talked into anything

Back