• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My Dental Journey

S

SteveRogers

Before Dentist Post 2/21/18

Let me just start out by saying how much this website/forum has helped me. I went from ignoring pain in my front tooth everyday, to actually scheduling an appointment for March 5th! (Hope to schedule sooner cause the pain is affecting my school work). Now, my family in general doesn’t have the best teeth. My mom and dad get fillings all the time and my mom got a root canal a few years ago and hasn’t gone back. Probably got the dentist anxiety from her. Anyways, I went to the dentist 2 years ago where they told me I need a few fillings and a root canal, I really didn’t know what a filling or a root canal was at the time since I was only 15. The dentist was very nice but the assistants were very judging. I vividly remember the lady saying, “15 years old and already bad teeth.” Right after that I told my mom to come up with an excuse to leave because I was so embarrassed. Leaving the dentist office that day was the biggest regret of my life. All I needed was a few fillings and a root canal, then I could’ve got braces put on. Pretty sure my dentist actually started a root canal but I never went back, so there’s a small hole in my tooth. It is now two years later, my sister is getting her braces off in April and I’m probably getting braces on soon. My teeth haven’t really gotten worse to my knowledge besides annoying pain in 1 tooth in general. I looked up online what cavities look like and inspecting myself, I definitely have a few. My OCD has made the last month or two a living hell. Really just typing this out has already helped. I’m not even scared of the pain, literally everyone says once they give you a shot you feel nothing, I’m scared of the dentist judging me. Any advice on dealing with this? Thanks.

Re: My Dental Journey - First Appointment 2/21/18

I couldn’t take it anymore. My tooth was hurting too much. I finally told my mom, through tears, what was going on. I went to the dentist at around 4:30. The receptionist was nice and looked suprised I actually showed up. When I got called my heart dropped. This was the moment I was dreading. For some reason I had no fear getting into the infamous chair. My mom and, later, my dad made me feel comfortable. The last took so many x rays too count and went to get the dentist. When he walked in he said that my teeth got worse from the time he last saw me, 4 years ago, and that if I don’t start taking my life into my own hands, I’d lose my front teeth. I am determined to get through this hard time in my life with my family. He said that if I brush twice a day I’ll be headed towards the path of teeth restoration. He was a little blunt, but I think that’s what I needed. They started the first part of a root canal and I have to go back Tuesday. I’ll update on Tuesday.

Re: My Dental Journey - Tuesday Appointment

Welp, today is the big day. Today is the day I get 3 root canals and a filling. I wouldn’t say that I’m scared, just nervous. I really wanted my mom to be with me at the very start but she has work so she’s coming about halfway through the operation. My appointment is at 10:30 and will be over at around 12:30. I already had one root canal done last Wednesday and it wasn’t that bad. It’s currently 9:33 AM. I’ll update when I’m all done either later today or tomorrow.

Re: My Dental Journey - Day after The Big Day

Hi All! Sorry for not updating sooner. I went back to school today after missing Monday, lots of college work to catch up on. Anyways, yesterday was the big day. The day I got 3 root canals and a filling. To be honest, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I did get kinda nervous when I asked if I could request a movie to be played and the assistant replied, “ you won’t be able to see the tv during the procedure.” I don’t know. Watching a movie would’ve been a good distraction but oh well. Anyways, I really didn’t feel a thing. I got a big wave of relief when I heard the dentist say, “root canal therapy looks good”. The root canals took about an hour and a half and the filling about 15 minutes. It wasn’t that bad. After the root canal and the filling they started taking impressions for my temp and permanent crowns. That part took forever. Towards the end the numbing wore off but I didn’t care cause I was pretty much done. The temp crowns look all right but one tooth looks like it’s not gonna heal right and my gums are sore behind the tooth. Might go back to get it checked out. Also, there are like, pins or something in my gums behind the three teeth that are kinda annoying. Hope to get that checked too. Overall, the pain is minimal for the most part. When it does hurt I take pills. I have to wait 3 weeks for my permanent crowns. Today is my mom’s birthday so I feel bad that I’m like this and can’t really celebrate with her. Also spring Break is on March 12th so I can relax while waiting for my crowns. I want to thank you guys for being so supportive through all of this. I finally faced my Biggest Fear and I couldn’t have done it without your help. Thank you! I’ll update whenever I feel like or as March 21st approaches. Thanks!

Re: My Dental Journey - 1 Week after Procedure

It’s been one week today since I got my 3 root canals and a filling and it’s going good. It hurt pretty bad the day of and the few following days but it’s much better now. I’ve just been playing video games and watching movies to relax. I’ve also been watching a certain twitch streamer named “Teosgame” and he’s really been helping me out. Laughter is the best medicine right? Anyways, once this school week is over I can chill over spring break. Two weeks from now on Wednesday March 21st I will get my permanent crowns on and well see how I progress from there. I’ll update either next week or on March 21st.

Re: My Dental Journey - 2 Weeks after Procedure

So it’s been two weeks now since I went to the dentist to get 3 root canals and a filling. It’s going good still. No pain since the end of week one which is a good sign. I’m now on spring break. I go back in one week on Wednesday March 21st to get my permanent crown. Honestly, I got through the second week which I thought would be the hard part cause of school and all but it went good. Now I’m just playing a lot of Rainbow Six Siege, rewatching Marvel Movies in prep for infinity war, listening to scary stories, and watching TeosGame. I’m glad I can have a relaxing spring break. Overall, week two went well for the most part. I’ll update a week from now, before, or after the procedure. Thanks.

Re: My Dental Journey - 3 Weeks after Procedure

So it’s been 3 weeks after getting 3 root canals and a filling, and it’s going good. I haven’t felt any pain in any teeth that have been operated since late week one really. The hardest part of this whole thing is my extreme anxiety. I’ve just been playing lots of video games and rewatching marvel movies to distract me from it. Tomorrow is my appointment for my permanent crown and I’m both excited as well as nervous as scared. I’ve been to the dentist twice already and it wasn’t bad at all. Yet I just really don’t want or like going. At the same time I’m excited to have my teeth healthy again and to finally have a stress free life (after I fix my other teeth of course). Since my first appointment I’ve adopted good brushing habits, stopped drinking Pepsi, which was probably what made my teeth so bad, and have opened up to my family about other issues. Over all, week three went well. I’ll update tomorrow after the procedure.

Re: My Dental Journey - Finally.

It’s been a long few months. Probably the most difficult months of my entire life, but i did it! Im finally taking care of/fixing my teeth! I still got a lot of work to do but I know I can do it. My next appointment is in June which is a cleaning/check up. Dentist said I’m doing good and to keep it up. I’m finally taking my life into my own hands!

Re: My Dental Journey - Finally.

It’s been a long few months. Probably the most difficult months of my entire life, but i did it! Im finally taking care of/fixing my teeth! I still got a lot of work to do but I know I can do it. My next appointment is in June which is a cleaning/check up. Dentist said I’m doing good and to keep it up. I’m finally taking my life into my own hands!

Hi Steve, I have just read your entire thread and I have to say a huge congratulations to You!! Wow-you have been super brave and you have really taken control of your dental health! People like you who have done so well to get their dental work started are an inspiration to anxious patients and your journey is so encouraging so thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Back