• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My Dental Phobia back story.

A

Audio.Amour

I am only 23 years old, but I feel like my teeth are just rotting away in my mouth. I so embarrassed, most kids my age have these great white smiles and mine is just disgusting. I feel so bad about myself.
I dont even like going to groceries cause the girls at the checkout always talk to you, and I dont want to say anything cause I dont want them to see my teeth.

I've been terrified of the dentist scince I was a child.
The last time I saw one, was to have my wisdoms taken out (at 21), it was a surprisingly nice expirience I was put to sleep and all went well.

I dont know if I'll ever get over this phobia though. I've litterally run away from numerous dentists. I just get so overwhelmed by fear that I just run and I dont even think of why I'm running until after I'm out of the building!
I have atleast 4 teeth that need root canals asap and probably alot more work to be done. Tonight I have to go get meds and an xray because one of my teeth is infected, Im just terrified...i know its only an xray but I dont want someone else to tell me how bad my teeth are.

We dont have an insurance and my husbands job isnt great, we're already struggling so hard to just pay our rent and keep our son in diapers and now I need thousands of dollars of dental work and I cant even get a loan.

I feel like this is just going to get worse and worse and I cant do anything about it! Nothing but suffer.

I hope this site can help me, I'm trying to read as many success stories as I can. Thanks for listening.:shame:

:welcome:

:XXLhug:
Thanks for sharing your story, Audio.Amour. I know how hard it is to take that first step and reach out to people. I myself just joined this forum a few days ago and I can't tell you what a relief it is to know there are actually ARE people who know what you're going through and can advise you.

Speaking from personal experience, it is far, FAR, better to bite the bullet and gather the courage needed to sit down in the chair, than to sit at home with your mouth filled with pain and misery, lamenting anything that might have been done to help. I wish I could go back, I really do. I would have made much better choices in regards to my oral hygiene. When I first joined up here, I was literally in tears from the pain that my mouth was causing me. Today, the pain is manageable and I'm sure a lot of that is because I've built up a resistance to pain over the years, but some days the pain is so intense it is so hard to focus on anything else except the pain.

Trust me, BELIEVE me, don't make all the stupid mistakes I did, get yourself checked out and get yourself on the road to recovery. I'm here for support as I'm sure anyone else here would be. Really, if you need to talk or to vent or have any questions at all, don't be afraid to ask me or any of the other great people here.

Where do you live? Are you in the USA? I've noticed a few people are from across the pond, so that's why I ask. Being a low income household with a child to provide for, in the states, there are so many programs available to you to help you and so if you need help finding out where to start that, just start with where you live and I'm sure we could whip up some links that could help you.

Hope to hear back soon from you, I'd sincerely like to help in any way that I can.

:welcome:
Hi and welcome, plus a big well done for posting on here, thats something I really struggled with when I first admitted that I had a problem/phobia. There were only a couple of people who knew how much of a phobic I was, I had hid it from others for so long I was an expert at it.

We all totally understand the feelings of shame about our mouths, not wanting to talk to strangers or even laugh in case they see our teeth. I had a big fear of getting lectured if a dentist was to see my teeth, about how bad I had been, to allow the rot to happen, but when I did finally get to a dentist, I told them it was bad in my mouth but I wanted it to change with their help. The dentist I found has been really understanding and does not be-little me at all. She reminds me that what happened in the past does not have to happen again, thats something we all agee with on here too, and its right.

I too need a lot of work but I asked for help in just getting the decay to stop as a first step, I want to keep what I have left. I'm not looking for an instant 'Hollyood smile', (heck I'm British we are meant to have bad teeth :giggle:). She has done this by putting temporary dressings on the bad teeth, no tools required except a wipe clean and dry. It was painless and now I have so much more comfort in my mouth it is a blessing. I now feel I have the time to do small steps and get little things done as I can face them.

The dentist can help you, you don't have to have everything done at once, tempting though the thought of going to sleep and it all being done when you wake up. Your dentist can stop the constant pain fairly easily and quickly.

You may be surprised how your teeth have stood up, I thought mine were too far gone, but it seems that most are still OK. Only a dentist can tell you for sure how yours are, your phobia is going to make your mind go for the worst option every time.

Take little steps and you can get there. We are all supporting you and know how you feel.
:grouphug:

Thanks for replying guys!

I went to the emergency clinic to have that tooth looked at and as I suspected it is infected, they gave me a script for antibiotics but by the time I got out of there all the pharmacys are closed. So now it's 5am here, I had maybe 4 hours sleep. Everytime I wake up my face is more swollen, I can feel it in my eye! Cant wait to get those pills!! I'm not even in terrible pain but knowing the infection is growing in my face is keeping me from sleep. Only 3 more hours till I can get my script filled.:redface:

Thanks for understanding guys, It really does help to talk to people who understand. All the people I know are mystifyed about how I could be so afraid, but I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm actually from canada, I live in the prairies. The visit tonight went okay, but I think it was because I knew it would be purely diagnostic. They wanted to pull it right there!! But I am so not ready for that, baby steps ahahah. The infection needs time to heal anyways. So I go back to be sedated on a later date. Luckily I told the nurse about our financial situation and she gave me some numbers to call for help.:)
I'm not going anywhere, I love this fourm already and I'm glad I can have everyone here to recover with!!

Frigggggggggg. Realized this morning that I left my keys at my dad's place when I went to get the son after my appointment. Now I have to wait till 6pm to get my antibiotics!!! What a joke!! Ontop of that I lost my wallet a while ago so I'm really hoping I wont need ID to get this filled, because if thats the case I'll have to go to the hospital I have no other option!!
I hopeeeeeee this works out, I dont like messing around with infection especially when it's so close to the brain and stuff.
What a terrible week.:cry:

That's a shame. I think when a person is really stressed out about dental problems it makes you absent minded about practical stuff like doorkeys and so on, unfortunately. Hope you can collect your prescription soon.

Oh for sure.
Dential issues on a phobics mind can make you scatterbrained, definatley.:drool:

Still waiting to get my antibiotics.
My face feels so weird. Is it normal to have so much pressure on my eye?
I mean there is no visible swelling at this point but I can definatley feel something going on there.
Hope I get those meds soon :cry:

Got the meds FINALLY.
Of course they are like giant horse pills but meh cant complain atleast I have them.:)

I think what you are feeling is the swelling in the sinus cavity. I have had several infections in my upper teeth, and can feel as though I have a sinus cold, when the infection gets inflamed. I have felt the swelling inside my head, and had no outward signs of a problem. Now that you have your medicine, you should start feeling better quickly. Thank you for sharing your story with us all. It is very helpful to see what others are going through, and knowing that we are not alone in our fears, and issues with dental work.
<KZ>

Okay now I'm in pain, it's not even the offending tooth that hurts, its my cheek bone my neck and my head.
I've been taking tylenol ex strength all day, one tab at a time but I'm unsure of how many I took.
I have a T3 here but I'm scared to take it cause of the other tylenol Ive been taking today.

My head hurts. :cry: The last Tylenol EX S I took was at 8pm.
BLEHHHHHHHHH.

Okay now I'm in pain, it's not even the offending tooth that hurts, its my cheek bone my neck and my head.
I've been taking tylenol ex strength all day, one tab at a time but I'm unsure of how many I took.
I have a T3 here but I'm scared to take it cause of the other tylenol Ive been taking today.

My head hurts. :cry: The last Tylenol EX S I took was at 8pm.
BLEHHHHHHHHH.
I am not a doctor, so can not tell you what is safe to do, or not.
I do know that you are supposed to 'stay ahead of the pain'.
I does suck bad being in pain.
I wish that I could tell you it would be fine, but I have no medical degree, or background to tell you, what is safe for you to do.
I hope someone with more education, or background in pain management will post for you soon.
Sending a hug to help in the meantime,
<KZ>

Well day one of med's down and I'm feeling a bit better (fingers crossed)
The pressure has gone down a bit.
I was suprised that I managed to fall asleep without any pain killers! I woke up at 4am and took a T3 so I wouldnt wake up in pain.
Sleep is nice, lol.

These pills really do it to me though, like burning in my throat but I'll take that over an infection in my face. :p

AUDIO AMOUR...Its the 26th, how are you doing today??
Have you check out some of our journals...they are so worth reading. We can all identify with you and surely understand :)
I had ALL my teeth yanked out in Sept 09 and its so nice not have any pain any longer from bad teeth..I was IV sedated LOL..there was no way they were gettin in my mouth without me being knocked out :)
I am on the final stretch now..I will be getting my permanent dentures in a few days :)
Healing hugs
Marcelle

Took 2 T3's an hour ago and they arent working, I'm still in pain and I have to wait 4 hours to take more. WTF, The pain is at the same level it was before I even took them!

I took one this morning and noticed it wasent enough so I thought if I took two at my next dose they would work okay. Anyone know whats going on? I'm starting to get scared and starting to think something serious might be going on.:cry:

So here are my current symptoms,

* really bad pain in my cheek bone right above the offending tooth (# 1)
* drooling quite a bit, it hurts to open my mouth too wide or to close it all the way.
* feeling generally sick, too hot , sweaty feels like I could have a fever but dont cause of the tylenol. (current temp 36.6)
* Tylenol 3 in doses of 2 not working. (which is alot of meds for me, I usually dont take anything at all)

Is it possible I caught the infection too late?? I've only been on the biotics for one day I take my fourth pill at 4:30.
I dont know what to do. I'm scared.

Last edited:
Hi KZ, you were so stressed out about your own dental phobia, & now you are already replying & helping others.
It just shows how much talking to people who understand, helps us all.
The worst part of all the suffering involved with dental fears, is the shame & embarassment,even more than the pain, that used to be my biggest problem. When you start reading posts on here,it is obvious,we all feel the same, just sharing helps so much.:)

What a weird day.
Well I'm not in excruciating pain anymore, I havent taken any more pain killer either. I think I might have an adverse reaction to codeine...I'm going to try it once more when the pain comes around and if it dosent help I guess I have to get a script for something else.

Weird weird day.

Tooth pain is so insistant, I couldn't get the pain to stop either with pain killers, it is what finally pushed me to getting my teeth sorted out. I was on antibiotics to kill the infection but it still took a couple of days of taking them before I was anywhere near comfortable again.

Hope your meds start to do their job soon.:XXLhug:

It was the codine!!
I have been taking ES Tylenols now (which contain more acetomenophen than T3's anyway) and they are working fine!!
No more T3's for me, what a terrible experience.

I also learned why they stress you to eat food with these antibiotics IT WAS TERRIBLE, I felt like I was going to be sick.:sick:
So even though I felt that sick I had to force myself to eat a banana, and after that it eased up so I had a sammitch and milk and that made it much better.

Bleh I hate pills. :p

Last edited:
I understand!!!!
Also, I've been washing my mouth out every other day now with warm saltwater (I use sea salt- 1/2 tsp. to 8 oz. of water) for a long time, about 7 years. I've never had an infection or pain and I have loads of problems including broken teeth. Might want to give it a try. :)

Back