• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My dentist retired. Questioning new dentist care plan.

Z

ziggyzippy

I loved my old dentist. He and his wife (she, the hygenist) ran a great practice. I was a patient for 14 years.

I was scheduled for one crown in the coming year but was told that I had no other problems. My gums were great and no cavities or other concerning issues.

My dentist sold his practice on no notice which is pretty sad. I think there were health issues involved. My prayers go out to them.

The dentist who took over his practice is very nice, but in my mind overly aggressive in her approach. She is very into technology and did a full photo spectrum of my teeth. I understand that, cool. Not cool is that she wants to crown all four of my upper front teeth, one of which was crowned by my prior dentist 3 years ago. She said she would never have chosen that finish. ???? All of my teeth are solid and bone intact. I asked for veneers and she said it's obvious I grind my teeth and she would not want to come in on a weekend should one pop off.

All this comes to around $7,000 for four front teeth. Urgh!

I'm going for a second consultation. Hopefully ignorance isn't bliss.

Hi ziggyzippy, sorry to hear that you lost your dentist :( - hopefully you'll find a really great replacement :thumbsup:! Going for a second opinion sounds like an excellent plan - hopefully the dentist you've chosen is more in tune with your needs!

Let us know how you get on (and if you're not happy with them, we've collected some tips for finding a dentist on this page: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/find-a-dentist/ )

Wishing you all the best for your second consultation :grouphug:

Good thinking.

This situation certainly calls for a second opinion.

Were it me, I’d even get a third. It’s funny how people will rant and rave about $1 (I worked in retail), but unquestionably accept anything someone with a dds after their name says.

Hi ziggyzippy,

this would make me quite upset too. I am wondering if she discussed the option of a night guard with you - it‘s true that some dental work doesn‘t make much sense if grinding is an issue, but in a combination with a night guard it might be possible. Also commenting negatively on a colleagues work doesn‘t sound too polite I would say.. As others suggest, looking for a second (or third) opinion is a great idea. Hope you find someone you like and trust very soon.

All te best wishes and keep us posted

Ziggyzippy,

I too am sorry to hear about your dentist retiring after so many years of working with someone you trust it is difficult just change like this and trust takes time to build . This would really take me off guard and I agree with all the rest that a second opinion seems like the right thing to do when her advice just seems so different and not to mention alot of money . Wishing you the very best in finding someone you feel a peace with. Let us know how things go.

Thanks everyone for your kind and helpful replies. I will let you know what I find out in 2019. Happy New Year to you!

Sounds like your new dentist might be more of a cosmetic dentist.

It's true that some restorations wouldn't last very long if you are a grinder. Do you wear a night guard for the grinding btw?

Personally, I would much rather prefer a dentist whose approach is more conservative. Nothing wrong with a dentist that subscribes to proposing a "gold standard" option, but not everyone can afford or want a "perfect" solution. So it's also a matter of what you are comfortable with. I may be generalizing here but the younger ones I've come across seem to be more aggressive in their treatment approach than the older dentists.

I concur with others on getting a 2nd or even 3rd opinion. My own personal belief that I subscribe to is that anytime I don't agree with a diagnosis or feel uncomfortable with a treatment plan, I would seek a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

I agree with the others about getting a second opinion. Before we moved, I was okay with the dentist I had, but he was big on aesthetics, and told me multiple times I should get invisalign (which they offered), and that one of my teeth that was filled should be crowned to make it look more natural. Each time I asked him if it was necessary to the health of my teeth and he would agree it wasn't, and I would decline.

I sympathize with you on losing your dentist. My dentist surprised me a few weeks ago with the fact that she was leaving the practice, and that I would have to continue treatment with her colleague. I am in the middle of a nonhealing root canal that hasn't been crowned, so it gives me some anxiety.

Yeah. The anxiety is rearing its' ugly head. Blah! Haven't worked up the initiative to make that 2nd consultation appointment yet. Is it true that my soon to be former dentist would have to provide them with my records/dental history? My husband told me they would. I'm a bit fuzzy in that area as I'd been with the now retired dentist for so long. He's been with his dentist near his work for 20 years so I'm not so certain that is correct. Can anyone confirm that's true?

Hi,
I don't know the medical system where you live but it would be better to assume that the new dentist will not receive the X rays. I would recommend asking yourself the X rays. You mostly need the X rays from the past few years, most probably your dentist has been using digital X rays so you can received it to your email.
It is very common that when a dental practice changes its dentist about 30% of the patients leave the practice. I believe that the new dentist in your practice will find it very understandable you looking for a second opinion.

Yeah. The anxiety is rearing its' ugly head. Blah! Haven't worked up the initiative to make that 2nd consultation appointment yet. Is it true that my soon to be former dentist would have to provide them with my records/dental history? My husband told me they would. I'm a bit fuzzy in that area as I'd been with the now retired dentist for so long. He's been with his dentist near his work for 20 years so I'm not so certain that is correct. Can anyone confirm that's true?
When I moved, I requested my dental records and x rays and they emailed them to me. There was a form I could have filled out, requesting my records be sent to the new office, but I was moving to a new state so I didn't want to take a chance.

You can request your records, including x-rays, from your dentist. You can then show them to any new dentist you visit. There may be a fee for the records ($20-50 typically).

Why does she want to do the crowns? Solely for cosmetic reasons? Did you express cosmetic concerns? It is true that veneers can be a poor choice for people who grind their teeth.

Back