• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My experience of Zygomatic implants.

You all are my moral support, and will keep the forum updated.

I am waiting for the treatment plan and the cost from the prosthodontist, and Maxilo facial surgeon. they are separate doctors and will update the forum, when I finalize my

operation data

Any suggestions for must ask question to increase my comfort level and success rate with zygomatic surgery?

Thanks
Heather

Hi Heather,

I had 2 zygomatic implants and two regular on my uppers and regular all on 4 on the bottom. I had mine done at Turning Point in Indianapolis Indiana. They were wonderful.

I found them on the topix denture forum. [broken link removed]

There is so much info on this thread. I hope the link works. If not, just google "let's talk cost of implants" and you will see it. There are 98 pages, a wealth of information! There's a man from San Francisco named Roger who flew to indianapolis from San Fran to have this done. He said the cost in California was outrageous and he saved alot of money even with the travel costs. Also, I just did my taxes, and the surgery, my hotel stay, and the 5 trips ( 700 miles) from my house to Indy was all tax deductible as a medical expense!! I have so much to add, but I'm typing this on my phone lol

Hi can you tell me the name of the gel pads for swelling many thanks

[broken link removed]

You can get these on ebay and amazon just type in.......hot /cold gel pack.
Hope this helps.

Coral.

Last edited:
Re: My experience of Zygomatic implants

Hi Bell, I wasn't on liquids alone. I could have anything that didn't require chewing. I am drinking a few protein drinks a day. I found Premier protein drinks which has 30gms per drink. The flavors are pretty good. I also drink Atkins two coffee drink flavors and they are 15gms per drink. I eat potatoes, mashed with gravy and baked fully loaded but w/o meat. Rice with gravy. Angel hair pasta chopped up with chopped roma tomatoes, basil, capers and lemon dressing. I eat cold canned asparagus with sweet Vidalia onion dressing. Creamed spinach. Eggs. Just to give you an idea of what you can eat without really chewing. Its been since I had my procedure done and at least one more month. Then I can have soft foods (fish, chicken, meatloaf) etc. My temps are ok. They are the dentures I had when I had my implants and waiting to heal. The implants failed so I had the Zygomatic implants done and they cut down my dentures and attached to the zygomatic implants as temps until March. I don't remove them which is a blessing. But I am really looking forward to getting my permanent teeth. I am hoping to have the bottom teeth done this next year. I have a bridge on the bottom now. No I didn't have to pay anymore because I didn't have the first implants very long. I was still in the healing stage when they failed. I had them done in May 2016 and removed in September, then the Zygomatic in November. My first experience with dentures was after the implants were put in in May. My Doctor didn't load my teeth at that time because he wanted me to heal. My suggestion is to make a list of the things to take with you for your trip home. Ice chest. Ice and Ice packs for your face. Protein drinks. water. stop and get milk shakes. Have some things ready for you at your home. You want to lay down and rest a lot, be comfortable and have what you need there. Someone will be with you ???? Helping you ??? Are you going to South Carolina on Sunday to be there for Monday ? Anyway, Im sure you will be fine. All of this will be behind you soon and you will be on the road to recovery which will past quickly. I Will be in touch and I am here for you. I am sure Coral-Sheila will be checking in and posting with you as well. We are both here for you. Remember to rest and relax. Breathe !!! Talk soon. Diane

Hello Diane, I have been thinking about you and wondering how your appointment went if you have done it yet. How are you doin? Did you go for your permanent fitting yet? I am due to go for mine on the 4 of April. I am having some odd feelings on my left side on top. It feels weird and I'm concerned but I think it's ok. If it doesn't get better in the next week I'll call and ask them about it. Anxious to hear from you. Yale care, Bell

Hi Coral hope you are well. I am having 4 all in 1 on 22nd next Wednesday, is it OK if I get in touch with you if I need to. Many thanks

Jo

Hi Jo,
Yes,you can contact me,or pm me,I don't mind whatsoever.
Wishing you all the best with your treatment on the 22nd,hope all goes well and you don't suffer too much.
Good Luck.

Coral (Sheila )

Hello Diane, I have been thinking about you and wondering how your appointment went if you have done it yet. How are you doin? Did you go for your permanent fitting yet? I am due to go for mine on the 4 of April. I am having some odd feelings on my left side on top. It feels weird and I'm concerned but I think it's ok. If it doesn't get better in the next week I'll call and ask them about it. Anxious to hear from you. Yale care, Bell

Hi Bell, sorry for taking so long. Work has been really crazy with a lot of hours and I am fostering a momma dog and her puppies. A lot of work. Hope your doing good. I had a lot of odd things in my face after the Zygomatic implants. Still have some little shooting pains and tingling. I also have some pressure here and there. But make your phone call if you have the least bit of concern. If anything to give your rest and relief. I went today for my 4 month check up. CT looked good and over all everything is healing well. I can eat what ever now !!!! Except for crunching ice, nuts, hard candy, etc. until I get my permanent teeth. I go to my dentist on 3/28 to start my impressions for the permanent teeth. Yahooooo !!! I am so excited. I hope I can start on the bottom teeth sometime this year. It shouldn't be anything like the top. Please let me know how your appointment goes on April 4th. I will try to do better about getting on this site and checking messages and on you guys too. My birthday is coming up, Im soooo ready for a steak !! LOL Take care and talk soon. Diane

Hi Bell, sorry for taking so long. Work has been really crazy with a lot of hours and I am fostering a momma dog and her puppies. A lot of work. Hope your doing good. I had a lot of odd things in my face after the Zygomatic implants. Still have some little shooting pains and tingling. I also have some pressure here and there. But make your phone call if you have the least bit of concern. If anything to give your rest and relief. I went today for my 4 month check up. CT looked good and over all everything is healing well. I can eat what ever now !!!! Except for crunching ice, nuts, hard candy, etc. until I get my permanent teeth. I go to my dentist on 3/28 to start my impressions for the permanent teeth. Yahooooo !!! I am so excited. I hope I can start on the bottom teeth sometime this year. It shouldn't be anything like the top. Please let me know how your appointment goes on April 4th. I will try to do better about getting on this site and checking messages and on you guys too. My birthday is coming up, Im soooo ready for a steak !! LOL Take care and talk soon. Diane

So so glad to hear your good news! I was so concerned about the odd feeling that I did go in and have them check it out. Turns out that the screw was loos on the one post and she tightened it up and all is well. She went ahead and did the checkup that was supposed to be done on April fourth since it was close. I don't go back until June 6 now and at that time I think they will begin the impressions. I'm so excited that you can eat anything now! I still get sick to my stomach when I try to eat anything chunky like noodle or anything besides mashed potatoes and ice cream. It really puts a damper on eating all around. I feel like I've lost my taste buds because I don't really taste much of the foods. But I'm so glad to be doing this it's going to be worth it. Seems like the time is dragging on but I should be getting my permanents in time to enjoy my birthday also! I can't wait to have a taco! lol I'm excited for you to enjoy that steak! Keep me posted! Did they do something so you can eat anything now? I don't have any teeth on the side so couldn't if I tried. I think that's why I get sick with the chucks. Take care. Bin apitite!

Hi Coral hope you are well. I am having 4 all in 1 on 22nd next Wednesday, is it OK if I get in touch with you if I need to. Many thanks

Jo
Good luck on your procedure! I know you will be so glad and you will feel so much better in only a few days. You have so much to look forward to! Can't wait to hear about your journey. Take care and don't worry! You have a great support group here! We all thank Coral for being such inspiration for all of us. Talk later. ❤

Did you get to see the CT scan? Just curious if they showed you. lol I want to see mine. I guess I need to see the healing, hahahaaha

Good luck on your procedure! I know you will be so glad and you will feel so much better in only a few days. You have so much to look forward to! Can't wait to hear about your journey. Take care and don't worry! You have a great support group here! We all thank Coral for being such inspiration for all of us. Talk later. ❤

Thank you, it good that I can come on here and talk thanks to everyone,, Jox

Did you get to see the CT scan? Just curious if they showed you. lol I want to see mine. I guess I need to see the healing, hahahaaha
Hi Bell, Yes I saw the CT's everytime I was there they had it on the screen next to where I sat. Matter of fact, Dr Luciente gave me a CD with the 3D pictures of the Screws in my face and a still picture. I want to take it to work and show it. LOL. No they didn't do anything for me to be able to eat anything, he just wanted me to heal before I started chewing and putting pressure on the rods. I will keep you posted. Diane

TxLady812. Hi !! I have been thinking about you. How are you doing? Your getting so close now to your big day. Please keep me posted how it goes. I'm so excited for you! I'm one month behind you and it feels like it's going so slow. Have a blessed Easter! Bell

Hi Bell been on site a few times but not sure if anyone has got my updates, anyway hope everything is good with all. Jo thanks,
Question I am using waterpik and it hurts am I the only one this has happened to ?

Hi Bell been on site a few times but not sure if anyone has got my updates, anyway hope everything is good with all. Jo thanks,
Question I am using waterpik and it hurts am I the only one this has happened to ?

I haven't seen any of your updates until now. Yes the water pik did hurt at first but I just turned the power down a bit and it was better. Sometimes I still will experience some throbbing when I do it but it only lasts for a couple minutes. How are you doing? I'm so glad to hear from you! Please post your updates again. I'm very glad to hear them. ❤

Hi Spoquey.
I am so pleased you found this journal helpful, and if you decide to have this treatment,please do let us know your progress, we will all be behind you, and will be here to support you.
As you know it is by no means cheap,but considering the new lease of life it provides after years of misery,it is worth every penny.
Good luck with it,and please let us know the outcome.
All the best.

Coral

Thanks Coral. It took me some months but finally I had the treatment yesterday - zygomatic implants with four in my upper jaw and four conventional implants in the bottom. The dentist made me some very nice temporary teeth until it is all healed, and they take some getting used to! They are far too perfect! I can only splutter, spit and lisp, so have taken a few days off work. That may have to stretch to a couple of weeks working from home, now I have read your blog and the other people's experiences!

My face is enormously swollen and blue, but I am taking antibiotics as requested by the dentist. I am using ice cubes in a plastic bag, which gives some temporary relief. I am going back on Monday for them to check if all is well and to perhaps take out some of the stitches.

The painkillers they gave me for a few days seem fine, though it is still fairly uncomfortable. My NutriBullet is working wonders! Raspberries, soya milk, yoghurt and seeds is my favourite recuperation blend mix. Tomorrow I will try the scrambled egg and porridge.

i can't begin to say how grateful I am to you and the other people who have posted on this site! You have really reassured me and made me feel I can go ahead with this. Even though my head now looks like a turnip, I know that will pass, and I am looking forward to the end result.

i have read everyone's contributions with affection and had a good laugh at some of the situations you have all described. Thanks for the tips regarding the water pik - I will take a look at them as I don't really fancy flossing right now or any time soon.

lots of love xxx

Re: My experience of Zygomatic implants.txlady812

How are things going? I have been thinking about you and wondering how your getting on with your new permanents. I'm going on Tuesday for my first appointment to start my permanents. I have been checking in but seems like the site has been asleep for a while now. Anyway I hope your doing great and would love to hear from you . Talk later. Bell

Thanks Coral. It took me some months but finally I had the treatment yesterday - zygomatic implants with four in my upper jaw and four conventional implants in the bottom. The dentist made me some very nice temporary teeth until it is all healed, and they take some getting used to! They are far too perfect! I can only splutter, spit and lisp, so have taken a few days off work. That may have to stretch to a couple of weeks working from home, now I have read your blog and the other people's experiences!

My face is enormously swollen and blue, but I am taking antibiotics as requested by the dentist. I am using ice cubes in a plastic bag, which gives some temporary relief. I am going back on Monday for them to check if all is well and to perhaps take out some of the stitches.

The painkillers they gave me for a few days seem fine, though it is still fairly uncomfortable. My NutriBullet is working wonders! Raspberries, soya milk, yoghurt and seeds is my favourite recuperation blend mix. Tomorrow I will try the scrambled egg and porridge.

i can't begin to say how grateful I am to you and the other people who have posted on this site! You have really reassured me and made me feel I can go ahead with this. Even though my head now looks like a turnip, I know that will pass, and I am looking forward to the end result.

i have read everyone's contributions with affection and had a good laugh at some of the situations you have all described. Thanks for the tips regarding the water pik - I will take a look at them as I don't really fancy flossing right now or any time soon.

lots of love xxx
hey spoquey! I hope your doing great. I haven't been getting any postings on the site for a while and wondering if it's still working. Anyway I hope your healing great and are happy that you went forward with the procedure. Wishing you great success and happiness. Bell

My turn

Reading the journal and stories of those who have undergone this has been comforting and informative. I have a month to go before I start with 2 Zygomatics and two regular implants. I had conventional implants done 6 years ago with the idea of going overdenture - the removable kind with implants. Within months the denture broke, cracked and came apart repeatedly so I simply stopped the procedure.

I found no one in my area that could offer me any help other than bone grafts, then implants at least 4 more and then more time, more money more pain. Then I moved to Nashville and found the miracle I needed and the time frame and recovery is shorter and costs are less here than in Seattle and frankly I needed a change.

The road here was no picnic in the park and this is phase 1. Next year after the uppers are healed I am doing the same the founder of this thread Coral/Sheila did and having the lower jaw done and at this point it may be all in four with about 8 extractions to complete the work.

My teeth issues began at age 16 and I managed to hold off until age 52 with a dental bridge anchored permanently to two regular teeth which finally failed on the uppers. The fixes I think made things worse, the fusing of two teeth as anchors, the root removed on one tooth which finally had to be pulled and the same Dentist who performed miracles 30 years earlier seemed to have found a way to avoid being inventive and offering me actual options that I have found since then. He had a massive turnover in staff and brought in a partner and we both aged so our communication and relationship changed.

That is the key COMMUNICATION with your Surgeon and Dentist and that they are communicating. Without that you see some of the frustration and fear that has some posters panicking. My fear is strictly about general anesthesia and having a nurse bring me home. That was the only way they would be willing to do the surgery and release me and even my Surgeon said that having a Nurse is not necessary but that was the deal or they would check me in the hospital. When they say that you do wonder and I don't want to end up like Joan Rivers.

Funny how we all have our own issues.. me it is the post days how long I will be down and out so to speak and if I need a Nurse for more than few hours versus days or at all. I hate the idea of someone being in my home but drilling into my head not so much. Too many years of dental work to really be afraid of this at this time. But I am afraid. Go figure.

Hello everyone! I haven't been on here for a while and can't see any posts. I'm hoping all is well and I just wanted to tell you all I got my permanents this past Tuesday. I really would like to hear from any of you that have gotten theirs recently. I am having a bit of a strange feeling when I try to eat. I have many questions and would like to have assurances or concerns expressed so I know what to expect. I hope this link hasn't stopped because it has been such a wonderful help to me. Hoping to hear soon. Blessings to all. Bell

Back