• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

My experience of Zygomatic implants.

Thank you for your post
It's very helpful

Hi Coral,

Thank you very much to take your time to write your journals. You gave me a lot of informations, experience of your own, now i know what to expect when i going to have this procedure done.
I live in California San Francisco Bay Area, looking for good doctor, and expert on this procedure.
Do you know anyone on this forum had done this zygoma implant in this region? Can you tell me how much it`s cost for 4 zygoma and permanent crown?
If you have these information please pm me
Thank you very much for your time.
Vub

Hello everyone! I haven't been on here for a while and can't see any posts. I'm hoping all is well and I just wanted to tell you all I got my permanents this past Tuesday. I really would like to hear from any of you that have gotten theirs recently. I am having a bit of a strange feeling when I try to eat. I have many questions and would like to have assurances or concerns expressed so I know what to expect. I hope this link hasn't stopped because it has been such a wonderful help to me. Hoping to hear soon. Blessings to all. Bell

Hi glad your on the site, I have my permanent lower jaw fitted I also have a few questions regarding being able to feel a bit of metal with my tongue and also feel they are getting more imbedded do you have any of these symptoms. Let me know how you are doing and any questions I might be able to answer, hope your well. Not getting any updates from anyone. Love jo

Hi everyone.
I know dental implants have been around for a while now,and they are proving to be quite popular, but years of wearing dentures can result in lack of bone,resulting in not everyone being suitable for standard implants,this did happen to me,and I would like to share my experience with everyone to let you know the options available to you and what to expect.

Firstly I just want to say I did have the standard dental implants 8 years ago, I had a bit of artificial bone placed ,and had to wait 6 months for the bone to fuse with my own.I then had four implants placed in the top and four in the bottom,to be able to have Implant supported dentures
To cut a long story short,before long they started to fail,and fell out one by one,after about 18 months I had only 2 remaining in the lower jaw.
The dentist did offer to redo the treatment, but I would have to have more extensive treatment and more bone grafting,and this time it would have to be harvested from my hip,the whole procedure would be long and painful ,and still no guarantee that it would be a success,so decided not to bother.
Then,I heard about the 'no bone' implants,this sounded like it could be the answer to my prayers,so I did my research, I found out they were called Zygomatic implants, that are anchored into the cheekbones rather than the jaw,so ideal for people like me with lack of bone,this treatment sounded just what I needed to save my sanity,and improve my quality of life without the hassle of denture sores,fixatives,etc,etc.
Firstly I had to find a reputable dental surgeon who could do this treatment, as it is not a very common procedure as yet and not a lot of surgeons can perform this type of surgery ,also I must warn you it doesn't come cheap,it is quite expensive,but if this is successful,and i can get some quality years from it,it will be worth every penny.
Right, long story short,got my dentist sorted, had appointments with him for scans,and treatment explanations etc,decision made,so I will end here and move on to the surgery.
Regards.
Coral 251:)
This is the dentist I chose,that is near to me,but they do work as a team,and travel to different parts of the UK,so maybe they can recommend someone near you.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PnGEpDMHf5Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ho coral not sure if the site is still updating. Hopebyour doing well, I have a few questions but will wait to hear from you ..love jo

Hey Jo! Good to hear from you! I am not getting ANY notifications at all now so I every once in a while check in to see if anyone has posted anything. So I have had my permanents in for 2 months now. All is going well but I am still finding eating is not as good as I had hoped it would be. No problem just at first I was so scared to eat after all those months of being super careful not to bite anything harder than soup. But it has gradually gotten better and I still get worried because I really don’t want these to fail. I think my biggest thing is I got the zirconium teeth and I hear them when I eat and it sounds like glass clicking together. I went with the zirconium because I am a big coffee drinker and I didn’t want them to stain and my temps had stained in the few months that I had them. Not terrible but I could see there was going to be an issue. The zirconium teeth look so real and that I love, but the sound is taking some getting use to. I also think they didn’t do a terrific job making the teeth fit together well. I expressed my concerns and they said they can’t do anything about it.? anyway I am still so glad I had it done and would definitely do it again. I do believe it will continue to get better the more I get used to them. One side seems to hit before the other side and that’s my greatest complaint. She tried to drill it down some but said if she did anymore I’d loose my bite, whatever that means. So I’m just moving on. My husband loves my smile and thinks there perfect! So it’s all been so worth it. How are you doing now? Hope to hear from you soon. God bless and take care.

Hi glad your on the site, I have my permanent lower jaw fitted I also have a few questions regarding being able to feel a bit of metal with my tongue and also feel they are getting more imbedded do you have any of these symptoms. Let me know how you are doing and any questions I might be able to answer, hope your well. Not getting any updates from anyone. Love jo

Jo my dr said it normal to see and feel the metal post, I guess as long as they don’t move it’s fine. I could see mine on my temps but now just a slight piece on the bottom with the perms. When you say they feel like there getting more embedded how so? I think I understand but at first mine felt like I could feel them pushing pressure on them when I ate, is that what you mean? I am getting braver with my eating now. Do you wear a night guard? They gave me one at my final visit and I actually felt good using it,but I forgot to ask how long I’ll need to use it so I’ll be calling them. Hope to hear from you soon. Take care.

Hey Jo! Good to hear from you! I am not getting ANY notifications at all now so I every once in a while check in to see if anyone has posted anything. So I have had my permanents in for 2 months now. All is going well but I am still finding eating is not as good as I had hoped it would be. No problem just at first I was so scared to eat after all those months of being super careful not to bite anything harder than soup. But it has gradually gotten better and I still get worried because I really don’t want these to fail. I think my biggest thing is I got the zirconium teeth and I hear them when I eat and it sounds like glass clicking together. I went with the zirconium because I am a big coffee drinker and I didn’t want them to stain and my temps had stained in the few months that I had them. Not terrible but I could see there was going to be an issue. The zirconium teeth look so real and that I love, but the sound is taking some getting use to. I also think they didn’t do a terrific job making the teeth fit together well. I expressed my concerns and they said they can’t do anything about it.? anyway I am still so glad I had it done and would definitely do it again. I do believe it will continue to get better the more I get used to them. One side seems to hit before the other side and that’s my greatest complaint. She tried to drill it down some but said if she did anymore I’d loose my bite, whatever that means. So I’m just moving on. My husband loves my smile and thinks there perfect! So it’s all been so worth it. How are you doing now? Hope to hear from you soon. God bless and take care.

Hi Bell great to hear from you, do you think the permanent implants change after time, I definately feel them changing either going deeper not sure if its my imagination also a tiny bit of metal I can feel with my tongue, also they only go round certain part of my jaw other than that I am pleased. Do you have all 4 in one lower jaw also, many thanks for getting back to me hope you continue to heal well and smile, Jo thanks

Hi Bell great to hear from you, do you think the permanent implants change after time, I definately feel them changing either going deeper not sure if its my imagination also a tiny bit of metal I can feel with my tongue, also they only go round certain part of my jaw other than that I am pleased. Do you have all 4 in one lower jaw also, many thanks for getting back to me hope you continue to heal well and smile, Jo thanks

Hi Jo , I think maybe we are noticing the more secure imbedding of the implants or so I’m wanting to believe. Yes it seems like I could have had an extra tooth on both sides because I feel like I’m not really chewing with the whole sides. It’s like I’m chewing with only one side tooth, do you feel that also? Yes I had the all on 4 on top and bottom. When did you have yours done. I had mine done last December 5. I think I would be feeling better except the zirconia teeth feel like there made out of glass and it sounds like it when I chew. I’m hoping to get used to it. They say the zirconium teeth are very strong and I don’t have to worry about breaking them or chipping. I went for them because I drink lots of coffee and was concerned about staining.

Hi Jo , I think maybe we are noticing the more secure imbedding of the implants or so I’m wanting to believe. Yes it seems like I could have had an extra tooth on both sides because I feel like I’m not really chewing with the whole sides. It’s like I’m chewing with only one side tooth, do you feel that also? Yes I had the all on 4 on top and bottom. When did you have yours done. I had mine done last December 5. I think I would be feeling better except the zirconia teeth feel like there made out of glass and it sounds like it when I chew. I’m hoping to get used to it. They say the zirconium teeth are very strong and I don’t have to worry about breaking them or chipping. I went for them because I drink lots of coffee and was concerned about staining.

Hi I had my perms in august this year, think I will check out the metal that I can feel, I don't think mine are zirconium, as long as you are managing to eat and they look good that's great, I chew on one side as well not sure that's wise or not but dentist never said fingers crossed its alright, stay oin touch thanks jo

Hi Jo,
Yes,you can contact me,or pm me,I don't mind whatsoever.
Wishing you all the best with your treatment on the 22nd,hope all goes well and you don't suffer too much.
Good Luck.

Coral (Sheila )

Thanks for detailing your journey with your implants it hashelped me very much I had Alex at PDC fit upper and lower all on 4 last Friday sofar so good wish I had had it done years ago. Worth every penny

Hi,
Great you had the all on four done,and things are great.
Alex is a good dentist.
The problem is, that I had zygomatics in the upper,an unfortunately I am having problems now 3 years on,I have developed chronic sinusitis,which can be a symtom that is rare,but I am one of these rare cases,an operation is to be carried out ,but no guarantees that it will cure it.
If it doesn't it's a case of living with it ,or loosing the implants.
So at the great cost of the treatment, I think I will have to live with it, rather than loose the implants.
However,the all on four treatment which I had done in the lower jaw is fine,with no problems whatsoever.
Hope you recover well.

Kind regards.
Coral.

Jo my dr said it normal to see and feel the metal post, I guess as long as they don’t move it’s fine. I could see mine on my temps but now just a slight piece on the bottom with the perms. When you say they feel like there getting more embedded how so? I think I understand but at first mine felt like I could feel them pushing pressure on them when I ate, is that what you mean? I am getting braver with my eating now. Do you wear a night guard? They gave me one at my final visit and I actually felt good using it,but I forgot to ask how long I’ll need to use it so I’ll be calling them. Hope to hear from you soon. Take care.

Hi great to hear from you and thanks letting me know that my metal bit might be normal, I don't have a mouth guard do they make a special one for you or can I just buy one. I do feel I am putting pressure on them when I eat hope that is OK. Thanks again ☺

Hi,
Great you had the all on four done,and things are great.
Alex is a good dentist.
The problem is, that I had zygomatics in the upper,an unfortunately I am having problems now 3 years on,I have developed chronic sinusitis,which can be a symtom that is rare,but I am one of these rare cases,an operation is to be carried out ,but no guarantees that it will cure it.
If it doesn't it's a case of living with it ,or loosing the implants.
So at the great cost of the treatment, I think I will have to live with it, rather than loose the implants.
However,the all on four treatment which I had done in the lower jaw is fine,with no problems whatsoever.
Hope you recover well.

Kind regards.
Coral.

Hi coral not sure you are receiving my updates, hope your well ?

Hi ladies

I just had zygomatic implant surgery 4 days ago - yes most of my face is numb. The problem is that they didn't "load" the teeth. Saying they are concerned that bone is too soft and needs time heal before they can put in the teeth. Has anyone had this problem? I'm worried about how I'm going to eat as my entire upper jaw is covered in stitches and I still can't even eat Mashed potatoes. I'm scared and worried, was hoping to get some feedback from this thread

Hi Morgana I have not had the zygomatics done but coral is very helpful look for her thread, good luck

Oh dear,not good that you cant even eat mashed potato, maybe you should just have protein drinks until your mouth heals a little bit,you need to get nourishment and vitamins to help you heal so try to look for some nutritous types of drinks.

They may want to wait until the bone integrates with the zygomatics before loading the denture to prevent failure.
I hope things settle down for you soon.
Take care.
Coral.

hello im new to this site am in New Zealand I too am looking at having these implants to the cheek bone ouch
Id like to know re lip support how does this work are you still pleased with teeth.. thks

Hi Maggie07,
Sorry for the delay in replying to you,had a spammer on the blog,I contacted the DFC about this,they have now banned the culprit,and deleted all the inappropriate content.

Yes,I am happy with the teeth,they are fine,but one bad outcome of this treatment is the development of sinus problems, I developed chronic sinusitis,been backwards and forwards to dentist about it for just over 12 months,had many courses of antibiotics and things are no better.

The upshot being that I now have to have a sinus operation, or loose the implants.
My operation is to be on Thursday 15th Feb,so fingers crossed it works,and cures the sinus problems.

All the best.
Coral

Last edited:
hi that's intresting to know I had an op in november (alveoplasty+wisdom tooth out)+have had sinus issues ever since not sure what to do about it,I'm ment to be getting implants also.

Hi Coral,

I’m curious as to how you made out with your sinus surgery and how things are going for you now? I hope all is well.

Back