• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

My experience of Zygomatic implants.

J

JoJones

Hi Morgana I have not had the zygomatics done but coral is very helpful look for her thread, good luck

C

coral251

Oh dear,not good that you cant even eat mashed potato, maybe you should just have protein drinks until your mouth heals a little bit,you need to get nourishment and vitamins to help you heal so try to look for some nutritous types of drinks.

They may want to wait until the bone integrates with the zygomatics before loading the denture to prevent failure.
I hope things settle down for you soon.
Take care.
Coral.

M

maggie07

C

coral251

Hi Maggie07,
Sorry for the delay in replying to you,had a spammer on the blog,I contacted the DFC about this,they have now banned the culprit,and deleted all the inappropriate content.

Yes,I am happy with the teeth,they are fine,but one bad outcome of this treatment is the development of sinus problems, I developed chronic sinusitis,been backwards and forwards to dentist about it for just over 12 months,had many courses of antibiotics and things are no better.

The upshot being that I now have to have a sinus operation, or loose the implants.
My operation is to be on Thursday 15th Feb,so fingers crossed it works,and cures the sinus problems.

All the best.
Coral

Last edited:
T

tazey

hi that's intresting to know I had an op in november (alveoplasty+wisdom tooth out)+have had sinus issues ever since not sure what to do about it,I'm ment to be getting implants also.

A

Anxious76

Hi Coral,

I’m curious as to how you made out with your sinus surgery and how things are going for you now? I hope all is well.

C

coral251

Hi,
I had the surgery done 3 weeks ago,not a very nice op,but by the end of a week I was fine,all healed.

Whether the surgery has been a success or not,I don't know at this stage,as the surgeon said it would be a couple of months to really tell,as infection can take time to mount up again.
So all I can say I have no problems whatsoever with sinusitis at this moment in time, so I am keeping fingers crossed,and feeling hopeful that this surgery has cured the sinusitis problems,and that I don't have to loose the implants.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Coral.

A

Anxious76

Hi,
I had the surgery done 3 weeks ago,not a very nice op,but by the end of a week I was fine,all healed.

Whether the surgery has been a success or not,I don't know at this stage,as the surgeon said it would be a couple of months to really tell,as infection can take time to mount up again.
So all I can say I have no problems whatsoever with sinusitis at this moment in time, so I am keeping fingers crossed,and feeling hopeful that this surgery has cured the sinusitis problems,and that I don't have to loose the implants.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Coral.
I’m glad the surgery went well and so far so good with the sinus issues. My fingers and toes are crossed for you that all will be well going forward and you won’t have any further issues. You’re a brave cookie!

C

coral251

Well,it is now nearly 2 months ago since i had the sinus op,I think it has worked as I have not had chronic sinusitis since.
Sometimes i get a little bit stuffed up,but soon clears,but nothing I can't cope with.
I could not have coped with having to loose the implants,which would have been devastating, what with more surgery,and back to dentures and fixative cream,and not to mention the loss of mega money that the treatment cost.
So keeping fingers crossed that it doesn't return.
Hope all of you that has had this treatment are all OK, and no problems.

Coral

J

JoJones

Hi coral not sure if you get this. Hope you are healing and you continue to do so. Never suffered from sinus so hope your getting better everyday. Take care and will stay in touch. Jo

T

tazey

Hi coral,at any point during getting your implants were there any injections? I just wondered why my new consultant asked if needles bother me.

C

coral251

Hi,
Yes,I was given sedation 1st,and I believe they fully numbed my mouth by injections also,but I didn't feel them as I was sedated.
Although,by the time the denture was ready to put in,at the end of surgery,most of the numbness had worn off,so surgeon did re-inject as my mouth was sore and tender at this stage so I did feel the injection on that one.
Hope that helps.
Regards.
Coral.

T

tazey

Hi,
Yes,I was given sedation 1st,and I believe they fully numbed my mouth by injections also,but I didn't feel them as I was sedated.
Although,by the time the denture was ready to put in,at the end of surgery,most of the numbness had worn off,so surgeon did re-inject as my mouth was sore and tender at this stage so I did feel the injection on that one.
Hope that helps.
Regards.
Coral.
Well the ops I've had so far have been G/A assuming future ones will be aswell. So apart from when they put an i.v in I really don't want someone coming at me/my mouth with a needle,I know I can't be knocked out for every single stage but this bothers me if its something that might happen further down the line.

Last edited:
D

Debdeb1

Hi every one. Had zygomatic implants 3 weeks ago today. Don't know if this thread is still going. Kind of glad I did it,but still not sure of the long term consequences. Right now I'm experiencing much numbness. I don't know how to floss ornifni even should. Have a follow up in a week.:unsure::unsure:

letsconnect

letsconnect

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Debdeb1, not sure if this thread is still going, but you could also ask any dental questions you may have in the Ask a Dentist section of this forum :). Wishing you a speedy recovery!

F

Frankenstein

Hi all.
I was born with a cleft palate and hair lip. Back in the late sixties/early seventies they were just starting to explore corrective surgery and the associated dentistry for people like me so it was a long tough journey which thankfully has gotten much shorter and easier for today's generation.
My quick chronology starts with an artificial palate at birth and the first surgery at 5 weeks of age.
I should mention that dental problems are synonymous with cleft palate patients due to the under development of the jawbone structure. At 50 years old, I've spent a lifetime in the chairs of many a dentist, orthodontist, and oral surgeon, advancing through a litany of caps, crowns, root canals, bridges, dentures and partials as my top teeth just continued to slowly soften, rot or actually snap off at the gum line throughout my developmental years. All the while going in and out of the hospital for one corrective surgery after another through those same years.
I am now up to 18 surgeries. 15 of which took place by the time i was 12. The last three this past year beginning with maxillary advancement surgery which is where they essentially remove your top jaw and replace it in a more forward position using brackets & screws. This surgery was actually suggested to me when i was around 17 but back then it was a much more invasive and risky procedure which honestly scared the dickens out of me so i refused. I was warned that i would eventually have to do something as my cleft would begin to open up again with age and that i would eventually run out of viable teeth.
I should mention that as i grew and the shape of my mouth changed i had to have a tooth extracted from the center of my palate. this happened twice and i constantly had to have new & experimental braces put on , taken off and replaced every so often as well.
So, prior the maxillary advancement surgery, i wound up with a top bite being comprised of two large bridges affixed to the remaining 6 teeth. 2 of which were failing beneath the bridges so a decision had to made on what to do about teeth going forward.
After several opinions and a bunch of really cool imaging, it was determined that due to the lack of sufficient bone (because of the cleft) standard implants would undoubtedly fail and a denture would likely never stay in place because of the shape of my palate, misalignment of the upper and lower jaw and the improbability of creating an air tight palate. So, it was recommended that i get the Zygomatic implants, the though of which really worried me.
I did a ton of research and spoke to as many medical professionals as i could both in and out of the related fields of expertise to establish every potential risk and complication from sinus problems to infection to healing issues. After all, i am a bit longer in the tooth that most people who undergo maxillary advancement (by about 30 years) so healing bone was a major concern for me.
Feeling confident in my surgical team and considering the alternatives or lack there of, i decided to go for it.
Step one was to heal from the maxillary advancement surgery which went exceptionally well until discovering that my left sinus just wasn't cooperating. when all seemed to be fine, it developed and infection and a completely blocked sinus. Now because of the proximity between the zygomatic site and the sinus, it was imperative that all sinuses be perfectly healthy prior to surgery.
So after an investigation, it was discovered that one of the bone grafts from the advancement surgery had apparently been rejected or simply didn't stay in place and wound up in that sinus causing the angry sinus issue.
The only solution was to make an access hole in the cheek bone, fish out the fragment and then flush the sinus. The only way to truly know if the sinus is unblocked is to pump water through it and have the patient (me) let them know if/when it runs down the throat. So needless to say this was all done under local anesthesia and i had to endure this brutal procedure wide awake. The crescendo of which i would compare to being waterboarded. This was among the 3 worst experiences of my life but thankfully i recovered quickly and within a few weeks had my date for zygomatic implant surgery on January 28th 2020 when they removed all the remaining teeth and put in all 4 implants on the same day.
Of course at this point i feared the worst and lamented the recovery. Especially after being told i could not chew anything afterward and would be on a mush diet for up to 5 months. UUgh.
But here i am almost 4 months later. (and 36 pounds lighter)
My surgical team is among the best in the world and I couldn't be happier with them. Dr Jay Newgarten and Dr Frank Tuminelli here in New York. Not by any means affordable but considering the impact of the procedure for me, they're well worth the debt.
As odd as this may sound, the Coronavirus disaster has been both problematic and helpful. I haven't been able to follow up with anyone since mid March save for over the phone but luckily I've had no major complications until a few days ago when i developed some unexplained swelling and tenderness one my left cheek which worries me a bit but after sending Dr Jay a picture and explanation he put me on an antibiotic and it's already gone down.
The swelling was on the side where he had the most trouble due to the impact of the prior maxillary advancement surgery. He warned me in the beginning that that side may take longer to heal because the first surgery didn't leave a lot of soft tissue resources for him to work with and that this is nothing to worry about. Fortunately I have a followup scheduled for June 1st at which i'm hopeful he'll give me permission to start chewing solid food and with any luck Dr Tuminelli will be able to start the process of getting me into my permanent prosthesis.
What i can tell you is that i've waited my whole life to actually have a normal bite and above all, an actual smile and now I've got one. I can't get over the change to my facial profile. My face doesn't look caved in anymore and my top teeth are actually visible when i smile now. This is huge for someone who's spent his whole life feeling like (and sometimes being treated like) a monster.
All in all i have to say that while it's been a long road, it hasn't been as bad as i expected. With the exception of the unexpected sinus mining and waterboarding procedure of course. That kinda sucked.
My advice to anyone who is considering these implants is to prioritize finding quality surgeons with plenty of experience. This is not a procedure to be taken lightly or to be bargain shopped. There's just too much at stake. And follow the post op instructions without falter. This is a lifelong solution if all goes well so don't take chances with recovery.
As far as the suffering goes, it really wasn't nearly as bad as i had imagined and after the first few days it's very tolerable. I never needed anything more that over the counter pain meds.

Last edited: